Superconductors (1 Viewer)

Mr_Kap

HSC
I get superconductors have losless transmission of electricity because theoretically there is zero resistance (due to BCS theory). But why does they produce strong magnetic fields that can be used for MRI and stuff?

Drsoccerball

HSC
Can you explain your question properly ? I don't understand what you're asking.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
why do superconductors produce strong magnetic fields?
Some Types of superconductors are able to have large currents flow through them. As you know (hopefully!) when current flows through a conductor, that current produces a magnetic field.

Basically superconductors are used like electromagnets, but due to zero resistance, they are able to have large persistent currents, which enable larger magnetic fields than similar sized regular electromagnets.

Drsoccerball

HSC
Some Types of superconductors are able to have large currents flow through them. As you know (hopefully!) when current flows through a conductor, that current produces a magnetic field.

Basically superconductors are used like electromagnets, but due to zero resistance, they are able to have large persistent currents, which enable larger magnetic fields than similar sized regular electromagnets.
Yes i couldn't synthesise this properly thanks !

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
Superconductors have no resistance so you only need to apply the current once to keep it being a magnet

Mr_Kap

HSC

Thanks. Just realised how simple it really was after I read your answer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)