Surfing chemistry (1 Viewer)

countrydude

hmmmmm
HSC
N/A
I got those surfing chemistry books the other day, i also have Concuring Chem text book and excel summary pocket book.

Do you think i have enough stuff?

or should i buy a good text book?

abdooooo!!!

Banned
more text book is always better, but conq and surfing chem should be enough for you to answer every dotpoint in the syllabus.

all the other books are pretty good like context, pathway, the only one thats not that good is excel chemistry, i can never understand it :confused:

nerdd

yeah the chem excel book's crap..
we use conquering chem at school.. i've got that and the revise chem core in a month which is really good. gives you straight to the point succint explanations for all the syllabus points.

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by countrydude
I got those surfing chemistry books the other day, i also have Concuring Chem text book and excel summary pocket book.

I don't know about Surfing Chem, I only used the physics. You have a decent amount of material, you probably don't need to own another textbook, occasional reference to Pathways and Contexts should be enough. That is, if you are happy with Conquering - it's crap IMO.

schooly

yeh my teacher likes the surfing books but doesnt want us to buy it cos he will go through most of the questions as a class anyways. i believe chem contexts is the best although i havent seen the pathways to chem. i dont like and i dont think conq is good at all, many material and info u dont need to know and doesnt explain the work as good as the contexts. well thats my opinion anyway. :)

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
yeah i agree. u hav enough info to cover the syllabus, although u should consider getting contexts 2 as the more info u hav the more u will be able to understand it. Excels just crap dont even bother......

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Throw out all books except the Surfing books. Seriously, I LOVE those books.

Ac

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by Lord Ac

Ac
I don't think you can adequately cover the syllabus with any one book or set of notes.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
I have conquering chem and excel chemistry, as well as Joel Nothman's notes sitting next to me when I'm typing this, and I want to ask you people, what's so bad about excel?

seems pretty ok to me :) Studying from it ain't so bad either..

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by underthesun
I have conquering chem and excel chemistry, as well as Joel Nothman's notes sitting next to me when I'm typing this, and I want to ask you people, what's so bad about excel?

seems pretty ok to me :) Studying from it ain't so bad either..
well, firstly its printed with crappy ink, which when touched it smudges making fingers go all black (may cause ink poisoning). its explaination of the theories is all over place. it assumes that you know some stuff that it never mentioned before in its explainations. and most of the time i can't get what is it saying especially when it is trying to explain a formula.

but if you just getting information on answering syllabus dotpoints, its ok i guess, it covers most of the things including experiments.

abdooooo!!!

Banned

Ac
i agree, surfing is the way to go. its clear, concise, and very easy to understand as it covers the basics of the needed year11 stuff. the best thing about it is that it has lots of question based on the hsc style.

so burn all your the other books cause surfing rulez!!!:D

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Originally posted by kini mini

I don't think you can adequately cover the syllabus with any one book or set of notes.
True. But which would you rather take to school: SUPER FAT 10000kg Chemistry Contexts. Or SEXY SLIM surfing books?

Ac

kini mini

HSC

True. But which would you rather take to school: SUPER FAT 10000kg Chemistry Contexts. Or SEXY SLIM surfing books?

Ac
Why would you bother to take textbooks to school? I don't think I ever brought mine to class all year - I went to class to get another angle on the course from my teacher, not to read the book with him.

countrydude

hmmmmm
HSC
N/A
Thanks for all the replys.

Yer surfing is ok but they need to change the GAY 60's type pitcure on the cover:(

mannnnndy

chocoholic

Ac
ROFL
Just wait till u get to uni and u have to cart 10 books which are 5 times the size of hsc books back home from uni because you thought it would be a good idea to get them all at once :p

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Originally posted by kini mini

Why would you bother to take textbooks to school? I don't think I ever brought mine to class all year - I went to class to get another angle on the course from my teacher, not to read the book with him.
Firstly, you have no idea how funny that last line was to me!!

But seriously, I take the textbook to look at the diagrams and equations that he is talking about (cause he sits down the whole time, or paces. No writing/drawing). Also, find answers and put up my hand and look inteligent :))

countrydude: def. agree with that. The title sets it up as a piece of crap.

mannnnndy: LOL! Thats a nice way of :chainsaw: :chainsaw: urself

Ac:chainsaw:

wori

yang
HSC
excel is a crap...very true

for example, the conclusion of one topic would be found at the end of a next topic

kim_

countrydude said:

yeah they shuld b more than enough excel is crap...waste of money but conq chem is gud da surfing chem books r really gud as well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)