Sydney is about to get a metro system? (1 Viewer)

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...s-in-asset-sale/2007/12/11/1197135463447.html
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/billions-for-metro-lines-in-asset-sale/2007/12/11/1197135463447.html said:
THE Iemma Government is finalising plans for as many as five metro subway lines to criss-cross Sydney, to be funded from the sale of further state-owned assets.
The Treasurer, Michael Costa, has told the Herald the Government is reviewing the state's $86 billion in property holdings to lift returns and to help fund infrastructure spending plans.
His comments follow the Government's announcement that it plans to tap funds from the $15 billion sale of part of its electricity assets to help pay for the first subway line - almost certain to be a metro from the Sydney CBD, running under Parramatta Road towards Olympic Park - to be announced next month.
This line would be cheaper than the other subway lines proposed as it would not require a harbour crossing, and would be a trade-off for building the M4 East motorway extension, which is subject to strong local opposition.
Parramatta Road, Victoria Road, Anzac Parade and the northern beaches have a serious shortage of fast transport links and there have been long-term proposals to give them all a European-style metro subway system - on which trains are shorter, stations closer and services much more frequent.
Details of the metro lines being studied by the Government are unclear. But the Premier, Morris Iemma, said yesterday: "It's not if Sydney gets a metro, but when."
The new funding source is the state's $86 billion worth of property holdings, which are the subject of a review by Treasury, to be finalised in the next few months.
"We don't have the luxury, with pressures on budgets, to have assets sitting around earning nothing," Mr Costa told the Herald. The Government has considered selling other state-owned businesses such as WSN Environment Services, known formerly as Waste Services, and NSW Lotteries. But they would raise a fraction of what could be gained from selling surplus property.
The former co-ordinator general of rail Ron Christie proposed to cabinet in 2001 that three metro lines needed to be built by 2020. One would run from Cronulla, through Miranda and Sydney Airport, then to Glebe and Sydney University, crossing the harbour to Willoughby and on to Dee Why via Chatswood.
A second line would start at Parramatta and pass along Victoria Road and then through the city to the University of NSW before terminating at Sydenham. His third line was to run from Hoxton Park to Parramatta, then on to Northmead and Baulkham Hills and on to Castlereagh.
A Treasury review of state property assets in 2005 found more than half of so-called "generic" property holdings such as offices, depots, car parks and unused land holdings were underperforming or "non-performing".
It indicated at least $100 million a year in revenue from selling surplus property, along with annual savings of $80 million from using property assets more efficiently.
Unions will meet next Wednesday on their campaign opposing power sell-off. Their call for a special state Labor conference could still derail the sale.
The Opposition Leader, Barry O'Farrell, said the Government had promised many rail lines - from Hurstville to Strathfield, the Bondi link, one from Chatswood to Parramatta, and now a subway system - but delivered little. "Morris Iemma sounds like Carl Scully without the sparkle," he said.
Government sources say they are working to finalise the first metro subway route so they can go to the 2011 election with a signed contract to proceed with it.
So what do Sydneysiders think of this? An underground route to Chatswood, Cronulla, Paramatta, West Ryde, UNSW and so on. Most can be accessed using the above ground rail network, the most interesting thing (the ones not mentioned) are where the intermediate stops will be (if any).

The promise of something like this is a nice promise to the people of Sydney for the 2011 election, the only issue being what of all the other promises made?

hello2004

I'll believe it when I see it. The current government looks like complete shit when you compare what they've promised to what they've delivered.

I will say that IF it was delivered I think it'd be pretty good.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
rly quicken up my drug runs, thanks morris

Stevo.

no more talk
HSC
I'm skeptical about the idea, the cost would most definately spiral upwards, whether the subway was built deep enough and with enough reinforcement so that it would suddenly collapse on future generations like the Lane Cove tunnel did.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i'm for it, provided that it actually happens and they don't fuck up the planning/blow their budget/build it out of breadsticks etc.

volition

arr.
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
provided that it actually happens and they don't fuck up the planning/blow their budget/build it out of breadsticks etc.
good luck with that :)

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Kwayera said:
Or better, Hong Kong.
Apparently that's what Morris said he wanted the metro to be like

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Musk said:
I sense a flop, i hope it starts failing before 2011
oh now now musk, i dislike musk at least half as much as you do, but wanting a seemingly good project to fail is a bit much. :(

Evilo

HSC
pfft as if that would ever happen, theres a better chance automating the current city rail network (well at least the city areas)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Exphate said:
I'd prefer if they unfucked the train system first.
mm, have to agree there. what's with this clearways idea? i don't see how you can service the entire city with only five lines, as is my understanding of what they want to do (reduce 14 lines to 5)...you'd need at least 8 (north, south, east, west, NW, SW, SE, NE) to cover the metropolitan area properly.

Lizakith

Go go gadget spleen!
HSC
Apparently the idea for Sydney to have a subway has been around since the 1800s, so of course its been left til now, when we have heaps of underground infrastructure (water, electricity) to redirect to make room for it. Smart.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)