Syllabus Dot points: do you write them up? (1 Viewer)

LordPc

HSC
this year some of my teachers have been giving the class the syllabus. for explanations sake i well talk about chemistry since it applies to myself.

my yr 11 class doesnt write up dot points unless told by the teacher. but the year 12 chem class had to write up all thier dots points last year for thier teacher (different to my teacher) as standard h/w.

now just as a comparison, the year 12 class (who did dot points) did alot better in assignments and tests compared to my class

so my questions are:
i) do you do dot points? if so does it help?
ii) if there people in your class that write up dot points and others that dont, which group of people are getting better marks?
iii) how much of the chem prelim is tested for in the HSC? just the uniform things (like bonding, things that are relavent in all parts of chem) or everything? (like questions on water and metal modules)

thx

Danger

HSC
it is VERY useful to know answers to the syllabus as you will only be tested on the syllabus. btw, 'alot' is two words

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Yeah, I do them as part of my notes. I write up the dot point, and get information from my schoolwork and textbooks to answer them.

That way, I can refer to them when exams are coming up.

Those who did good in my class did write notes.

No preliminary content will be tested in the HSC, yet it builds a foundation for your understanding of Year 12 stuff.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
moles + calculations will be in the HSC. Sadly enough, its my weakest point ! and i do 3u maths and still cant do that ! .. ><"

Kujah

HSC
N/A
It's just the concept. Once you fully understand it, you'll fly through it :) Revise, revise, revise! :p

kaliber

HSC
moles isnt too hard, my tutor told me u will only be tested on mole ratios (gay- lussac's law) in yr 12 so bb to avogadro's number

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
but but but .. I DO ! .. lol i really wish I get the hang of it soon .. its the only thing about chem which really confuses me and gets on my nerves ..

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
kaliber said:
moles isnt too hard, my tutor told me u will only be tested on mole ratios (gay- lussac's law) in yr 12 so bb to avogadro's number
=O ! ARE YOU SERIOUS ! =D

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I'm finding that the extraction of metals is the one that confuses me alot. I hate that area of topic :(

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
oh yeah .. thats pretty bad as well .. but i can kinda memorise all that .. if i wanted to that is .. lol

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I don't think it's too late. But theres always the Excel Revise in a Month-ers? :confused:

Kujah

HSC
N/A
OP: It's up to the individual. Do what suits you!

morganforrest

HSC
Kujah said:
Yeah, I do them as part of my notes. I write up the dot point, and get information from my schoolwork and textbooks to answer them.

That way, I can refer to them when exams are coming up.

Those who did good in my class did write notes.

No preliminary content will be tested in the HSC, yet it builds a foundation for your understanding of Year 12 stuff.
Actually they can include up to 20% (30 in ext maths) of prelim content in the HSC...though usually they're not direct questions. However in Chemistry a lot of prelim content is integral in your understanding of Year 12 work. Particularly moles which plays a big part of the Acidic Environment module in doing titrations and such. But don't worry about this too much. It's one of those topics that seems hard until it clicks in your brain. I had a bit of trouble with moles, and valency in yr 10 come to think of it, until it clicked.
As for the notes, doing it off the syllabus is a fantastic idea, particularly for the HSC as they MUST stick to it when writing the exam. So try staying up to date with that. The good thing about science subjects is that their syllabus' are UBER specific so you know exactly what you have to study. Typically they're written as questions (ie Demonstrate that hydrogen bonding within water molecules contributes to its properties) and so you can make that as a heading and then put the answer to it underneath (ie surface tension...shit like that) [as opposed to history which has lame dot points that are incredibly broad....:burn:)
So do try and do notes off the dot points...after all thats what your teacher teaches you off, and writes the test off...its ur own little cheat sheet

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Yeah, I was referring to Chemistry only :)

Annalisee

HSC
When I revise I cover the work we do in class.
Meh, I'm seriously not as involved as I should be, but I'm doing okay so that's good enough for me.

cccclaire

HSC
I do syllabus dot points, it works for me.

Its good because you don't leave anything out and if you don't understand something its really easy to ask the teacher the specific points you don't understand.

In my bio class the teacher asked us to put our hands up if we wrote our notes with the syllabus, like at least the top 5-10 students did and you could see the students with lower marks didn't.

over9k

HSC
so this is the most effective method of studying i assume?

:):):)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)