Take a look at how accurate bos member estimates are. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

munchiecrunchie

HSC
This is a message to all you 09ers who are going to either now, or in the near future, post up your marks are hope that bos members will get your UAI right.

So I got an estimate done by bos members before the hsc, I was curious to know what people thought/how close they'd actually be to my real UAI. Here's the list of my subjects + ranks:

Legal Studies: 1st
Economics:1st
Mathematics:1st
English:6th
Physics: 7th
Maths Ext 1: 9th
Chemistry: 14th

With a school rank of 28th at the time.

I was aiming to get into law at either UNSW or Usyd. And this is what bos members told me:

“I’m sorry to tell you that you are likely looking at 95-98 for the uai.”

“Sorry to say but i dont think 99. My guess is about 90-95”

“A UAI of 98-99 if you pull up some of your subjects a little.”

“99+ no way. Only a few hundred people get that UAI, 97-98 looks likely though, don't worry it will put you in sweet position for a first year transfer into usyd/unsw law, just keep it up.”

“Op: 97-98”

And how close were they?

2008 UAI: 99.65

Waay off.

So what I'm trying to say here is that don't waste your time getting estimates of bos members. More than likely its going to lower your confidence and self belief.

What would be more useful is to get info from your school about the amount of band 6s received each year, talk to your teachers about your performance and then use this info to make informed estimates of your HSC marks, then use these on UAI calculators.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
munchiecrunchie said:
This is a message to all you 09ers who are going to either now, or in the near future, post up your marks are hope that bos members will get your UAI right.

So I got an estimate done by bos members before the hsc, I was curious to know what people thought/how close they'd actually be to my real UAI. Here's the list of my subjects + ranks:

Legal Studies: 1st
Economics:1st
Mathematics:1st
English:6th
Physics: 7th
Maths Ext 1: 9th
Chemistry: 14th

With a school rank of 28th at the time.

I was aiming to get into law at either UNSW or Usyd. And this is what bos members told me:

“I’m sorry to tell you that you are likely looking at 95-98 for the uai.”

“Sorry to say but i dont think 99. My guess is about 90-95”

“A UAI of 98-99 if you pull up some of your subjects a little.”

“99+ no way. Only a few hundred people get that UAI, 97-98 looks likely though, don't worry it will put you in sweet position for a first year transfer into usyd/unsw law, just keep it up.”

“Op: 97-98”

And how close were they?

2008 UAI: 99.65

Waay off.

So what I'm trying to say here is that don't waste your time getting estimates of bos members. More than likely its going to lower your confidence and self belief.

What would be more useful is to get info from your school about the amount of band 6s received each year, talk to your teachers about your performance and then use this info to make informed estimates of your HSC marks, then use these on UAI calculators.
lol, where is that thread? I really hope that I didn't make an estimate there...

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
wow what kind of fuckin retards gave you those estimates.

especially this douchebag

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
possible that she made some of them up or "fixed" some.

friction

HSC
For me:

English Rank 10/73
Ext 1 Rank 2/15
Ext 2 Rank 2/4
Pdhpe Rank 2/35
Chem Rank 3/15

School Rank 201

"should be looking at 93-96" SimDim
"SimDim is pretty much on the money, so to speak." Crates
"94ish" D3vils
"a UAI of 94-95 if you go well in the externals." Shaon0

2008 UAI: 98.35

Further Emphasis of how off they are.

I also agree set urself a goal (mine was 98 as you can see in my thread) and use UAI calculators to see what you need to get that and then just work towards that.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
haha, i went through the same thing,
ppl were giving me estimates mainly in the low 80's and saying somewhat with my ranks+marks, i don't deserve to be in a selective school -_-
my uai goal was 90
i ended up around 95

just shows that you can't always rely on ppl's opinions but it is good for motivation i guess

Last edited:

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
er yeah well mate you'd think being smart enough to get a uai of 99.65 you'd realise that taking advice from other people doing their hsc / kids doing it in 2009 probably isn't all that wise.

dp624

HSC
well i think Bored tends to underestimate
False hope is NOT good.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
being safer is better than being sorry.

When I received my UAI I went to my schools morning tea and we all posted our UAI's on a large sheet of paper so we all knew what each person got, along with previous knowledge of how well they were performing rank wise over the year and how many band 5/6's they received, with what subjects they were undertaking.

Giving UAI estimates was based on my experience, in just one school. Therefore no one bos member can give you a true estimate of what to expect when the UAI is published. What if you had performed consistently over the year and performed dramatically differently in the hsc itself? Or perhaps the other way around.

In any respect if I were doing the hsc I wouldn't be pinning a lot of hope on a number of ex hsc students to tell you what to expect. We don't have the figures nor the calculations to give you a 90% guarantee. As ragerunner says in this sticky, all we can offer is opinions.

dp624

HSC
Also being ranked 1st in so many subjects makes it much harder, as we can;t gauge your potential.

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
that's why i never got my UAI Guesstimated

OP, if i could ask, what were your internal/external marks in each of your subjects? Were externals higher?

scora

HSC
i really doubt listening to a bunch of most likely highschool kids, with only a vague knowledge of how the system works is the way to go.

anyway, maybe the low(er) estimates you were given gave you more of an incentive to study and perhaps prove them wrong

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
scora said:
i really doubt listening to a bunch of most likely highschool kids, with only a vague knowledge of how the system works is the way to go.

anyway, maybe the low(er) estimates you were given gave you more of an incentive to study and perhaps prove them wrong
A lot of people here who make the estimates have a descent knowledge of the moderating/scaling processes (or at least however much of the processes are released to the public) and have read the scaling reports...

(not me, by the way)

Scissors

HSC
yeah, let me also say, boredofstudies members are SHIT at estimating UAI's. even namu was shit.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Scissors said:
yeah, let me also say, boredofstudies members are SHIT at estimating UAI's. even namu was shit.
don't you ever consider the possibility that you are also shit?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
lyounamu said:
AHA he is made of excrement ^^

Oh and they're just ESTIMATES. Even UAI calculators are off. But congrats on your UAI :D

Scissors

HSC
lyounamu said:
hahaha namu, what i'm saying is even you don't have a clue when estimating people's uai's.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
lol, where is that thread? I really hope that I didn't make an estimate there...
no way namu, you are a god among men.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Scissors said:
hahaha namu, what i'm saying is even you don't have a clue when estimating people's uai's.
Ok, listen.

UAI is determined by two factors basically: your internal mark and your HSC mark where your internal mark is adjusted according to the list of HSC marks from your school's cohort.

I gave your estimate based on your internal mark/rank which counts for 50%. Whether you get higher/lower from that entirely depends on the other 50%. But there are so many things coming into it. Your school's performance comes in and your own hsc results come in. I have discovered that doing relatively better in HSC is actually better than doing well in internal. Only explanation for your significantly poorer/higher UAI than the estimate is that you either did extremely shit or extremely well and that's highly possible.

I am not very happy to reveal here that your ranks were not very good. With your ranks that you provided, it's highly likely that you get affected by your school's general performance. In munchicrunchie's case, she was ranked first in 3-4 subjects where she could really maximise her HSC performance, hence making the estimate more difficult to make. So if you are either last or first in the course, it's EXTREMELY HARD to estimate your UAI as it entirely depends on you really. But for you mate, you obviously got pulled up/down heaps by your cohort.

And you also have to consider that UAI estimate is only an estimate. Even the calculators that use YOUR OWN HSC results are not accurate. How can mere human beings with NO OFFICIAL HSC results whatsover give you an accurate one?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)