Taking a Year Off? (1 Viewer)

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Just thought I'd put this out there for some other people's perspectives.

I've finished my coursework and am set to graduate in December and be admitted in February. I have a graduate position lined up that pays well and will give me all the benefits I want.

However, I'm considering taking a year off. I never took a gap year before going to uni, and I figure if I don't do one now then I'll be limited in my capacity to do so in the future. Does anyone have any idea what taking a year off straight after my degree would do to my future career prospects? Of course it would most likely mean that I lose the grad position I've been offered, which is a sacrifice I'm more than willing to make. I'm just wondering if it would be feasible to get another one if I was to come back in late 2009/early 2010.

Would if make any difference if I left before or after my admission?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
hfis said:
However, I'm considering taking a year off. I never took a gap year before going to uni, and I figure if I don't do one now then I'll be limited in my capacity to do so in the future. Does anyone have any idea what taking a year off straight after my degree would do to my future career prospects? Of course it would most likely mean that I lose the grad position I've been offered, which is a sacrifice I'm more than willing to make. I'm just wondering if it would be feasible to get another one if I was to come back in late 2009/early 2010.
for some reason, all the junior lawyers at my big firm tell me to take a gap year off. those who did so tell me about how fun and a drunken revelry it was. those who did not regret their decision.

why would your graduate position be at stake if you do take a year (maybe even 6 months) off? most of the big firms i know are happy to let grads defer 6 or 12 months. then again, in the current financial climate, i guess we should be happy we have jobs eh? :p

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Cheers, thanks for the insight - I'm actually kind of glad to hear there are people struggling under bitter regret, it reassures me I'm doing the right thing! I'm going to investigate my prospects of deffering the offer, hopefully it'll work out. I figure if it doesn't then I don't exactly lose my law degree.

Hm, now to try and 'officially' turn the year off into 1 year of PQE :p

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
hfis said:
turn the year off into 1 year of PQE :p
a supreme or federal court associateship would've been good. as is paralegalling in london for six months. i read somewhere that some australian law student got an internship in the US Supreme Court? anything overseas is fun. :)

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
Frigid said:
a supreme or federal court associateship would've been good. as is paralegalling in london for six months. i read somewhere that some australian law student got an internship in the US Supreme Court? anything overseas is fun. :)
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24437699-17044,00.html

Robert Cooper from Flinders. I am jealous.

I like how the dean of the school has to fit in a positive comment about the university's law school: "Understanding courts and the justice system is really one of the areas in which Flinders law school is leading the country."

travelfish

HSC
Do it! I greatly regret not having done it myself. If you have a job already lined up, then definitely request taking it up at a later time. The worst they can say is no.

BillytheFIsh

HSC
I'm going to go against the crowd here and say I reckon you should get admitted first.

A couple of reasons:

First, if you plan on going overseas, the Aussie dollar sucks at the moment and hopefully it will improve (but you never know I guess).

Secondly, if you get admitted first, when you come back, you'll just be applying for a job as a solicitor, rather than a grad position.

But having said that, listening to the tone of your post, I think you've already made up your mind anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)