Telstra vs. Optus ?!?! (1 Viewer)

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Hay guys,

My house is currently with optus for Phone and Broadband ... we have recently finished our 12 month contract and so now are still with them ... HOWEVER, Telstra called me up, and then came over today to try to get me to come over to them.

Attached is a comparision of the deals, as I have been presented with (the Optus on the left is my current deal, the Telstra on the right is the deal the guy said would best suit my needs).

At the bottom I have calculated a few scenarios ... in my household, monthly, we typically make ~175 local calls, ~8 minutes of mobile calls, and zero national/international calls ... In terms of net, we typically go over our limit by the 26th (so, we have a few days of VeRy ReDuCeD SpEeDs).

The Telstra guy said that there would be no installation fees. He also said that Optus wouldnt change me any fees for leaving, because it has been over 12 months (is that right??).

By my reckoning, the Telstra deal is better ...
Can anyone suggest to me any reason why I should change my thinking ... ?

Thanks,
Ac

ReaveR

HSC
You might want to check your maths...

When I did the sums it came down to Optus being only $1 more expensive at 100 local calls, then being a few dollars cheaper for 200 and 300 local calls.

Also, the Optus plan should similarly be 'Uncapped' for its download speed.

The only thing I can see that Telstra has going for it is its three free months net, which brings the cost down significantly (but only to the level of Optus), and the increased quota (note that Telstra count uploads in their quota too, although they have free data from places such as GameArena).

But I agree with politik. If you want to reduce call costs go with VoIP.

anita_wax

tehnaz
HSC
i dont like either for broadband, your better to go with a company that is internet only. get shit support with the other 2 due to the demands because somany areas within the company

HamuTarou

Ar U TaLkiNG 2 Me?! o.O
HSC
i recommend getting tpg....Voip 512kb

http://www.tpg.com.au/products_services/adsl_pricing.php?type=residential

cheaper than telstra, faster speed, more bandwidth

but the problem is only 500mins voip calls included, so i guess u'll still have to use telstra to call after that's used up. also u need a telstra line

just look around..try iinet and they have adsl2

anita_wax

tehnaz
HSC
politik said:
You've obviously never tried TPG's customer service.
im with tpg ;) and i never need support thanks to my mother being cisco network engineer(for any home computer problems we might get) & tpg never having any problems for us :)

HamuTarou

Ar U TaLkiNG 2 Me?! o.O
HSC
anita_wax said:
im with tpg ;) and i never need support thanks to my mother being cisco network engineer(for any home computer problems we might get) & tpg never having any problems for us :)
now i'm waiting for their adsl2 service :D
they took away my plan, 1.5M 20GB 49.95, funny

ReaveR

HSC
HamuTarou said:
cheaper than telstra, faster speed, more bandwidth
It's not faster.

And with the free months that Telstra is offering, it's not cheaper either.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Both telstra and optus are shit for internet. For the same price I was paying for bigpond adsl I tripled my speed and my download limit.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Cable internet is not shit - If you were to go broadband on Optus/Telstra, get cable cause ADSL pales in comparison (ie Cable speeds are uncapped)

anita_wax

tehnaz
HSC
HamuTarou said:
now i'm waiting for their adsl2 service :D
they took away my plan, 1.5M 20GB 49.95, funny
yer thats what im on. i can only guess they took it away if u constantly went over the cap? iuno
i prolly only do 10gig at most a month

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
iamsickofyear12 said:
Both telstra and optus are shit for internet. For the same price I was paying for bigpond adsl I tripled my speed and my download limit.
Download limit might be better on adsl, but cable is a lot faster-

You can get 40-50kb/s off ADSL, I get 700kb/s off Gamearena (I'm with Bigpond), and for some reason 800-900kb/s off Optus sites :s

iamsickofyear12

HSC
MedNez said:
Download limit might be better on adsl, but cable is a lot faster-

You can get 40-50kb/s off ADSL, I get 700kb/s off Gamearena (I'm with Bigpond), and for some reason 800-900kb/s off Optus sites :s
I can't get cable in my area so that's why I have adsl. I can get 150kb/s or more depending on where I am dowloading from.

What good is 700kb/s if you can only download 10gig?

redd

HSC
N/A
You guys must realise adsl is the future and considering the fact that many isps are setting up their own exchanges comprising of adsl2+ there is no reason to choose cable over adsl.

ive got a maximum theoretical 24mbit connection (i prolly connect at 18-22) and i download at over 1000 k plus i get 20 gig cap. And plus, i only pay 49.95 a month.

redd

HSC
N/A
Oh almost forgot, Telstra has the worst service and customer support. My father had tremendous problems getting his phonelines installed for his business and a number of their products arrived late or didnt arrive at all including a wireless modem and adsl filter. Plus there has been quite extensive downtime with the Telstra connection. The technicians also werent great. I had optus cable for 24 months before i got adsl and i didnt have any problems with them at all during the time.

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
optus rules telstra hands down. in both service and moneywise. telstra....well i've never experienced crappier more unreliable service anywhere, they're useless and they rip you off like anything. hidden charges, small charges that add up to large amounts for nothing. i don't think i'll ever go with telstra for anything ever again. optus on the other hand, helpful service, proper service, a bit more reliable even though sometimes i wanna rip their heads apart too. works out a little cheaper with certain things..

internet wise, i have broadband/cable with optus, its very good, good speed, and because we've been with them ages, they upgraded our plan from 5 gig i think it was to 12 gig, for no extra charge. its good, whereas crap like bigpond charges you for every god damn thing and supposedly they're servers shut down alot, causing problems. my sister used to work there..she'd tell me these small details, customers calling to complain and crap.

Last edited:

CrashOveride

HSC
redd said:
You guys must realise adsl is the future and considering the fact that many isps are setting up their own exchanges comprising of adsl2+ there is no reason to choose cable over adsl.

ive got a maximum theoretical 24mbit connection (i prolly connect at 18-22) and i download at over 1000 k plus i get 20 gig cap. And plus, i only pay 49.95 a month.
Which ISP is that with?

redd

HSC
N/A
CrashOveride said:
Which ISP is that with?
I'm with iinet but internode have also rolled out their exchanges through the "agile network" in some parts of Australia. (only a few exchanges in the major cities) . Other Isps are starting to during Q1 of this year.

But the point is, in relation to the thread starter "optus vs telstra" , there is no arguement, optus pwndizzles telstra. You will find 9/10 people who are with telstra are on it because optus is unavailable in their area.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)