Texts on Change (1 Viewer)

Benmc

HSC
Hello

I'm in YR 11 and do Advanced English, My Most hated subject.

We have been given an assignment about cahnge where we are to create a Stimulus Booklet that contains 3 different texts on the issu of Change..
Each Text must be different, ie one visual (photo, painting), one poetry, website etc, essay, film poster, newspaper article, passage from novel etc.

And i am meant to use these three texts to explain different understandings of Change in 1000 words and discuss how change is presented in the texts. Eg, how the featurs shape meaning! And also consider how contextual featurs contribute to meaning production.

However the first problem is i don't know what texts i should be looking for.
Can people suggest some good picutures and poems etc and so on for me to analyse that are shaped around Change!

Cheers
Please Help....

Pocket-Sized

HSC
My teacher has been bringing in some of these so we get a rough idea and apparently she says that Alcohol ads are great to use.

Benmc

HSC
Alcohol?

Further explanation? Would Help...
But alcohol?
Hows that got to do with Change..?
Do you mean like VB adds and XXX gold?etc

Cheers

Benmc

HSC
Hello

What do people think of using a poem like Gwen Hardwoods " In The Park"
And maybe the Pleasantville Film poster...Try and say how it makes meaning about change...

And what about a picture of a communist movement or something, maybe Mao Zedongs Long March..>About Change from emprial, to democracy to communism...????

I need at least 3 texts each different and these are the ones i've came up with so far.

Does anyone know where i can get a copy of Gwen Hardwoods in the park? I've been trying to find it but no luck and ppl on thse forums have mentioned it as a good text.

One of my friends got a photo with a Ignuiet, (eskimo) holding a rifle (Change: From Spear to Gun hunting etc modernisation)....
I'm thinking of something along the lines like that as well but i don't know what example would be good....like what picture would be good..?

Cheers

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
Here are the three things I would use:

D. H. Lawrence - The Horse Dealers Daughter (short story)

Its about the loss of a few things including money (the story begins on how a wealthy English family has lost all their money and is having to leave their house) and also pride (with the female character sacrificing everything she is for love basically). If you want to talk about context you can talk about how unstable wealth was at the beginning of the 20th century because less economic stability measures were taken.

Stylistically - stong water metaphors throughout (you can talk of how water can either represent stability because most of the world is dominated by a body of water that has existed far longer than the human species or you talk about how it represents transcience and change because its a constantly shifting force that breaks down things).
- Story exposition; lots of focal change throughout the novel. Begins by focusing on the male characters and the loss of money, then the doctors personal feelings about life, and love, and finally the love climax which leaves the story hanging on a precipice.

Website - (graphic links) www.tubgirl.com or www.goatse.cx or www.lemonparty.org (graphic links)

NOTE: I talk about tubgirl in the following passage but its easily adaptable to any of those.This might seem like a joke, but I am being totally serious. You can talk about how this website represents a moral shift that aims to impose an alternate, less conservative set of morals upon those who come across it. You can also talk about how it tries to humanise alternate expressions of sexuality by depicting the focal girl as a human, rather than some kind of depraved monster. Or you could talk about it as an expression of moral degradation in society, the idea of defecating on one self a metaphor for the state of the world. Contextually you can talk about how the site is made possible by the internet - a more liberal medium of expression where anything is possible.

Ill let you think of a last one. Remember - the "text" itself doesnt actually have to say some profound comment about change in isolation. It can be something that can only be understood from a change perspective when its context is taken into account. In fact, its probably better that you do this because its a more challenging thing to do.

Note also that using a shock website is something that might be initially ... shocking, for your teacher, so if you do that, do it right. I suggest D. H. Lawrence for any school assignment since he is not only possibly my favourite all time author, but he is one of the authors of the 20th century that is widely considered to be of great critical import. If you use his work, people will take you seriously.

~~~~

That took me a whole 10 minutes to write, which is the longest I have ever dedicated to a post on this board, so appreciate it :p

Last edited:

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
Also, following on from the last point.

D.H. Lawrence - his work is perfect for discussing change because it is beautifully relevant to the social situation in England at the time it was written. England was the world super power (just look how damn big the British Empire was) and as such had the most influence on world culture. If major change was to come from anywhere, it was to come from England. Change was happening though - you can talk about the decline of the East India Company (the greatest monopoly the world has ever seen, run by English people for English people) and the oncoming of World War One with the increasingly turbulent political situation in Europe.

The shock websites - the main technique these use is shock. The images are very confrontational. Like Rock and Roll of the early 1960s, the main reason these websites are so popular and widely known is because of how aggressive and oppositional these are towards the norm. These websites are at war with the conservative. Why would you be at war with the exisiting order? Because you want to change something.

1000 words is not enough to do justice to either of them and the lowdowns I have given so far of them have been very simplisitic and superficial. But, thats school I guess. If you want to tease things out further in English you study it at university.

Wikipedia and snopes would be invaluable resources should you choose to use the websites I suggested, as they have detailed information about their rise to fame/infamy.

Last edited:

loz_court07

HSC
Here you go we did it:

In The Park

She sits in the park. her clothes are out of date.
Two children whine and bicker, tyug her skirt.
A third draws aimless patterns in the dirt.
Someone she loved once passes her by

Too late to feign indifference to that casual nod.
"how nice" et cetra. "time holds great suprises"
From his neat head unquestionably rises.
a small balloon..."but for the grace of god..."

They stand a while flickering light, rehearsing
the childrens names and birthdays. I'ts so sweet
to hear there chatter, watch them grow and trive."
she says to his departing smile. Then, nursing
the youngest child, sits and stares at her feet.
To the wind she says, "they have eaten me alive."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)