That was kinda weird... (1 Viewer)

DaRanjed

I mean, using a picture as a text. For speculative fiction, the picture of a guy with an open book + stuff 'flying' out of it...how did you people refer to it?
I expected (as a trend in the questions) to get quote where we base our answer on.

Anyway, they said to use the picture as a starting point. Umm...does that mean we don't have to keep talking about it? Would it be better if we referred to it more times during the essay?

hotcocoababe

Sexiest BoS Member
I'm up there.... somewhere... gently floating abou
HSC
ahh..... stupid pictures. See, THATS what you get when a bunch of smelly old men sit around tables and go, "Ok chaps, how will we screw 'em up THIS time round? Essay responses based on our favourite cartoons? Oh, good idea Larry. Lets see how they tackle that one, eh. Heh-heh heh!(chuckle chuckle chuckle)"

The pic threw me (i was RFTG by the way) and I completely lost it... all my carefully organised thoughts... they flew out the nearest windows. I lost my train of thought and had no idea what to do with the damned pic

DAMN YOU BOS!!!!! :(

HSC
N/A
Same...

the RFTG question threw me off too.

DAMN YOU OFFICIAL BOS PEOPLE!!!

Ziff

HSC
N/A
I outright ignored it.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
it didn't screw it that much
it gave an open ended essay question direction

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
it was good that it was open ended (I&S btw)- though remember that the more open and generic the question is the better your essay has to be to distinguish it from everyone elses. but i thoughyt they should have explained better exactly what was meant by using it as "a starting point" - no1 at my school really got HOW we were meant to refer to it - ie. purely as a basis for our thesis or directly: as "the provided stimulus material..." - it was confusing because it seemed like you should directly mention it, but they didn't give it a title like they do in adv paper (eg. text 1) and history papers.

Tredanse

HSC
Mm, what I did was to start out like this..

"An illustration by R. Cobb depicts an old man sitting.." etc etc, THEN introduce the topic and the theory around it... then tie back to the picture: " ... The man and the plant can be seen as symbols of the individual, struggling to cope in .." etc. Then I finished my intro by saying what texts I was using, then got into the essay.

My conclusion mentioned something about the plant (IE: the individual) "breaking free of the 'concrete' paradigms that exist in global society" or some such.

And yeah. I didn't really analyse the cartoon. You just had to use it as a sort-of "conversation starter", I think.

DaRanjed

Oh man,

Is it OK if I just wrote "The image presented..." without naming the illustrator?

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
Yeah of course. I didn't even say 'the image presented', I just referred to it abstractly. The pomo picture was a guy in a mirror, so I talked about how pomo distorts convention much like a funhouse mirror. No direct reference is needed, as long as it's clear that your essay sprang out the of ideas shown in your stimulus pic.

sneeble

You only had to use it as the starting point, it wasn't like you had to sustain references to the picture and your interpretation of it...

The picture for I&S threw me at first, but if you couldn't connect that to the elective you've been living under a rock...

:)

televators

HSC
I thought it was excellent- it aimed to stop people with pre-prepared essays in their tracks- and will hopefully set the good from the wrote-learned crap- if only they did this in advanced!

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
Well I had the 'stuff flying out of the book' picture (Speculative Fiction)...and at first I sat there for 2mins giggling at how the cartoon was sooo shit.

But then I thought ooo! work time.

But the picture was almost irrelevant and they specifically indicated "Use it as a starting point"...there wasn't a need to analyse or refer to it.

cynical

I did spec. fiction too and just used it to talk about at the beginning of my essay.. referred to it as "The given text".. I hope they get that.
But then, my essay was shite, so don't listen to me.

HSC-King

Banned
HSC
Lucy said she would not arrest me on one condition; I had to wear my overalls into the exam.
Fair enough, I thought.

She still ended up arresting me though. She thought I needed a couple of nights in the attic "to do me some good"- I ran away and came to hide in these here forums.

Please dont tell her where I am.

M

mick18

HSC-King said:
Lucy said she would not arrest me on one condition; I had to wear my overalls into the exam.
Fair enough, I thought.

She still ended up arresting me though. She thought I needed a couple of nights in the attic "to do me some good"- I ran away and came to hide in these here forums.

Please dont tell her where I am.
Man, you are a genius

HSC-King

Banned
HSC
gemita said:
Don't kid yourself, this is an internet site...nobody bothers to manipulate language in the way they would if they were writing normally or even speaking, let alone to the level they would in an extension exam. I'm not going to argue with you over my marks and rank - I'm coming first (in ee1 and ee2), getting very high marks, and since you have absolutely no idea about me your opinion is irrelevant.
You smell that?
Smells like a hypocrite to me.
(Yes both of you)

M

mick18

gemita said:
After your syntax post, I can't resist. It's 'your' not you're.
Don't go looking for it gemita, unlike you, i won't be taken in hook, line and sinker. hehehe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)