The Effect of Travel Time on ATAR (1 Viewer)

fountainjack

HSC
How much of a difference does travel time really make on your ability to study. If i transfer schools next year i’m going to be travelling around one hour (one way) to get to school and I’ll be getting home at roughly 4:30pm. Is that really worth it or should I stay at my local school. Im aiming to get into medicine btw :)

AKONS

HSC
This may be a gift in disguise. I have a 10 minute travel time via car and a very interrupted 40 minute journey to school if I went without a car (combination of train, bus and walking). So basically I don't have sufficient or stable time to study or do practice questions.

If you're travelling for a solid hour, then you have time to complete your homework and some study. Also, it has a natural break/limit built in: your study session starts when you start travelling and ends when you finish. The movement from getting on travel and getting off it is actually a break for your brain so it also makes your time efficiency.

Just my opinion. Hope this helps

Last edited:

idkkdi

HSC
How much of a difference does travel time really make on your ability to study. If i transfer schools next year i’m going to be travelling around one hour (one way) to get to school and I’ll be getting home at roughly 4:30pm. Is that really worth it or should I stay at my local school. Im aiming to get into medicine btw :)
lmao. assuming you sleep 8 hrs, you still have like 7 hours of study time a day. u shouldn't be worried about travel time.

fountainjack

HSC
This may be a gift in disguise. I have a 10 minute travel time via car and a very interrupted 40 minute journey to school if I went without a car (combination of train, bus and walking). So basically I don't have sufficient or stable time to study or do practice questions.

If you're travelling for a solid hour, then you have time to complete your homework and some study. Also, it has a natural break/limit built in: your study session starts when you start travelling and ends when you finish. The movement from getting on travel and getting off it is actually a break for your brain so it also makes your time efficiency.

Just my opinion. Hope this helps
now that you mention it, its more like 30 mins on a train and 30 mins of walking

YonOra

HSC
now that you mention it, its more like 30 mins on a train and 30 mins of walking
That's the same(ish) with me. I spend 40+ mins on transport (bus + train) and usually do some maths, and then have to walk around 20 mins. Just take the walking as a break, enjoy it - clear your mind. It's a blessing in disguise!

Auzendriel

HSC
You're fine. I get home at about 5pm. As the others have said, it's a good idea to study on the bus. I myself however use that time to nap so I can be more focused at home.

erucibon

HSC
N/A
lmao I read that as effect of time travel on atar and i was picturing some time zoning jumping shit

MrGresh

HSC
As much as it seems like you need to be studying all the time for HSC, I think its also super important that you have time to unwind and relax.

You really only need 2-3 hours study time a night, so 4:30-7:30 at most.

It's great to have ambitious plans for study going into year 11/12, but also remember that the HSC is a marathon, not a sprint. Too many HSC students burn out after two terms and then have a very hard time succeeding when it really matters. You wouldnt sprint the first 500m in a marathon and then walk the rest of the day, would you?

c8

HSC
I travel almost four hours total each day and tbh if you maintain a good study and sleep routine and maximise your time on transport its still very doable. Oh but if you get really bad motion sickness, dont even bother trying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)