The End of "King Lear" (not just for us) (1 Viewer)

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Shakespeare's King Lear, which had been back on the year 12 reading list since 2001, was highlighted as one book that should be removed, Ms Gold said.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/teachers-vote-is-bard-news-for-king-lear/2006/10/21/1160851181941.html

Module B of the advanced two-unit English course, which was tested yesterday, has been the object of some criticism because the syllabus asks students to consider unspecified secondary readings and critical theories.
The HSC paper yesterday pointedly asked for a personal response. One question asked: "To what extent has your personal response to the tragedy of King Lear been shaped by the enduring power of Shakespeare's characterisation of King Lear?"
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/hardest-part-was-getting-there/2006/10/23/1161455665747.htmlhttp://www.smh.com.au/news/national...s-for-king-lear/2006/10/21/1160851181941.html

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
"It has been causing some difficulties. It is difficult to teach and has been on there too long," she said.
How is it difficult to teach? We seemed to go fine with it.

And what difference does it make whether it's been on there one year, five years or thirty years? If schools don't want to do it, there's about a million texts they can do instead.

What they should be doing it getting rid of the Hypertexts one, which has been on for several years even though no one ever does it. It's just an attempt to make English look engaged in an internet world, which is sad because it dates back to about 1997 when hypertext was considered exciting.

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
Of course they're getting lazy

Who do they blame when their students don't perform to standards? When they are the subject of media criticisms about how "stupid" we are?

Not the teachers, surely. It's the syllabus's fault.

OK, i was being sarcastic above, but it's partly true. There are wonderful teachers and there are crappy teachers. There is only one syllabus for english (well, 4 or so if you incluse ext, ESL, etc...). But the syllabus is made by the DET and BOS.

Or could you blame the students for being too stupid to understand what's being taught?

Where lies the blame?

---

Not a rhetorical question, above. I believe the DET and BOS have screwed up royally.

-P_D

smiley_kel

HSC
N/A
I actually enjoyed King Lear. I was very disappointed with the question, I know that I could have gotten a mark a lot higher than what i will :( If they had asked for our personal response in relation to other interpretations (LIKE WE SPENT ALL OUR TIME LEARNING) then it would have been much better.
but oh well its over now. what can u do!

jbocca

HSC
were missing the point
LEAR IS OVER

my pre made essay matched the question 100%
ba haha ahahahhahaahha suckers
ciao

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)