the experiment question- magnets n current (1 Viewer)

baadshah-x

hey,
was there more than one way of conducting dat experiment?
the one where u hav 2 show the effects of mag. field strength on current????

coz ii originally put the solenoid thing...but then crossed it out n put this other one...where theres a current-carrying wire suspended above bar magnets...
will i get ne marks??

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
I used a DC dynamo/generator with electromagnets for stationary field, change the electromagnets strength using variable resistor, and then measure the current with an Ammeter on each level...

Jimmoi

If you are cheap like our school stick a few magnets together to make a stronger magnet. And use a galvanometer.

smeyo

i did the normal way of a solenoid with varying magentic strength and relative motion between the two and recorded the ammetre reading, i did this for an assessment throughout the year/..

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
But it said to vary the magnet strength not ways of increasing current

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
hehe.. i put in a hand-cranked generator and a cathode ray oscilloscope.. but yes.. i just stuck more bar magnets together with rubber bands... =) lol.. as if that'd happen in a real school.. (what sort of school would let kids play freely with rubber bands and bar magnets? crazy.)

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
sique i also did the hand cranked generator...how did you talk about controlling other variables? namely the speed at which you rotate the generator?

smeyo

yeah but by varying magnetic firld strength you are affecting current, increase strength you increase current

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
current is a dependent variable =P

lol. it was a stupid prac and one i made up on the spot.. so yeh =P i don't even know if i can get away with that cro use. prolli shoulnd't have tried to be smart and gone for an ammeter like everyone else.. but yeah.. serves me right.

i said that the coil was the same, but to control the period of rotation, i timed the turning so it was like.. one rotation per second, synchronising it with a watch's second hand. yeah.. pretty poxy.. hehe. ah well.

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
that's exactly what i did
also made it up on the spot
i used an ammeter instead of a cro but same thing really

baadshah-x

...so u guys rekon theres a couple of answers that the markers wud count as acceptable?? i mean cmon.. 5 marks on da line ere...

im not sure whetha wat i put is rite...> i had a coil suspended ova 2 bar magnet..n the coil was already connected 2 a power supply and also conected in series 2 an ammeter...
seems wrong...
but den i thot...that solenoid thing sounds a bit...wrong too.. i dunno.

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
Originally posted by Jimmoi
If you are cheap like our school stick a few magnets together to make a stronger magnet. And use a galvanometer.
yeah thats what i did :) - i was getting worried coz i thought i did it wrong...

inasero

Reborn
HSC
i had a few bar magents making taped to a trolley cart. Attach a string to it and attach the other nd to a mass. Pass it over a pulley and let it travel itself. Measure the maximum current induced in the solenoid coil and repeat for different numbers of magents....how do u think i will go for this concept?

N

ND

Originally posted by inasero
i had a few bar magents making taped to a trolley cart. Attach a string to it and attach the other nd to a mass. Pass it over a pulley and let it travel itself. Measure the maximum current induced in the solenoid coil and repeat for different numbers of magents....how do u think i will go for this concept?
Where was the solenoid? Also, by putting more magnets into the trolley, you're increasing the weight and thus the friction, which varies the speed it moves at. (though this is *obviously* negligible) Sorry i'm being an idiot... yeh, good idea.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
hahaha i bullshitted an experiment on the hand cranked generator(our school has 1, but it doesnt work lol) right on the spot too... i connect it to a galvanometer which is also basically the same and said to spin the same speed, and make sure the magnets strapped on to have the same area of affect, and same distance apart...

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Can you just say use electromagnets?

I made up the experiment on the spot cuz our school only did like 2 of the 15 pracs -_-

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)