The Health of Young People (1 Viewer)

freaked

HSC
How many of you out there studied this option and what did you the part of the exam covering it?

I answered the 5 mark question with no trouble (not that I actually remember what it was, I just remember that I thought it was good),

The second question however, (15 marks) we hadn't covered. so can someone explain the whole skills thing to me?

Last edited:

djmattyd

HSC
I think I stuffeds the five marker lol.

The 15 marker I did really well, I memorised the syllabus dot points and applied them to stress and coping...I think I did really well, remembered all 9 points, should get close to full marks, really pleased at my answer to this question moreso than any other question in the entire paper.

djmattyd

HSC
freaked said:
How many of you out there studied this option and what did you the part of the exam covering it?

I answered the 5 mark question with no trouble (not that I actually remember what it was, I just remember that I thought it was good),

The second question however, (15 marks) we hadn't covered. so can someone explain the whole skills thing to me?
The 15 mark question referred to the third and last focus question in the option.

The focus question was:
What skills and actions enable young people to attain better health?

And the following were the skills:

· building positive self-concepts
· developing a sense of connectedness
· promoting an acceptance and valuing of cultural diversity
· developing health literacy and accessing skills
· coping skills
· social problem-solving skills
· supportive networks
· creating a sense of future
· social action

There were a number of sub-points under some of them, but thats the basic idea.

sly fly

HSC
I answered the 5 mark q really well (don't remember what it was). I didn't answer the 15marker too well though, maybe like 13 out of 15. I didn't include all of the dot points in the syllabus as there were just too many, so I just covered as many as I could.

rebecca05

HSC
sly fly said:
I answered the 5 mark q really well (don't remember what it was). I didn't answer the 15marker too well though, maybe like 13 out of 15. I didn't include all of the dot points in the syllabus as there were just too many, so I just covered as many as I could.
13 out of 15 is a heaps good mark what are you on about. For my options (sports med and improv perofrm) they were so hard and i will be happy with an 11 out of 15 and coming from thats huge cos usually i am good at pe, i came first at school. But those questions were so hard so stop making us feel bad...13 is excellent thats a top band answer. Im sorry but if you get 13 you have no sympathy from me.

(The core was great tho)

djmattyd

HSC
I don't think you could get 13/15 if you didn't touch all the dot points, 13/15 would still be a top band response, and they wouldn't put you in the top band if you didn't touch them all, would they?

sly fly

HSC
rebecca - sorry i didn't mean to make anyone feel bad I guess I just have very high expectations from myself......plus, I suck at multiple choice so I rely on doing excellent in the essays to get me a band 6

djmatty - yeah but I mean, it's crazy of them to think that we could cover every single dot point in the syllabus for that section....and for pdhpe u can't just name drop for the sake of it, u need to go into depth, relevant examples etc etc. You needed to cover the following for the question -

Students learn about:
• building positive self-concepts
- self-worth
- healthy body image
- self-efficacy in personal skills

• developing a sense of connectedness
- connectedness with the community
- positive interpersonal relationships
- participation in community activities

• promoting an acceptance and valuing of
cultural diversity

• developing health literacy and accessing
skills

• coping skills
- seeing problems in perspective
- positive thought habits
- distancing and disengaging
- developing a sense of purpose
- recognising and rewarding personal
success

• social problem-solving skills
- arguing constructively
- negotiation and compromise
- conflict resolution
- being empathic

• supportive networks
- identifying the need for support
- overcoming barriers to support
- seeking help for self and others
- receiving support
- establishing a mentor relationship

• creating a sense of future
- establishing a purpose
- identifying challenges and opportunities
- personal action
- social action

• social action
- supportive environments
- access to health services
- legislation and public policy
- health promotion campaigns.

PLUS, ur area of concern.......(for me >)

stress and coping
- negative perceptions of events and
related emotions
- depression
- loss experiences
- schizophrenia
- self-harm
- suicide

I highly doubt anyone would have had the time to cover every single one and talk about them comprehensively

djmattyd

HSC
I thought it was tough to cover everything comprehensively too, so I hope they go a little easy on us too lol. But still, the marker could go well 15 marks, that means they have to cover every dot point or whatever. I dunno, I think this was my best done question, so I'm hoping I did well, but hopefully they do think it was a tough question to do well and mark everyone up

floerr

djmattyd said:
I don't think you could get 13/15 if you didn't touch all the dot points, 13/15 would still be a top band response, and they wouldn't put you in the top band if you didn't touch them all, would they?

From what i have heard from teachers is that the question was considered to be fairly open and that it could well be related to a number of things not simply just the 9 syllabus points becuase you could say a whole bunch of different things which would still apply...
she said both the sports med n health of young ppl questions which we did will probably b marked accordingly becuase they were fairly open to interpretation..
hence you could possibly b put up in the top band even if you didnt specifically name each type of skill but like implied it etc...

i only remember 8 of the 9 points :(..better than the 3 i originally remembered at least

mcbec

HSC
i remembered all 9, and all the little dash points that go with each of them - so proud of myself! i'm glad to forget them now hehe...

i dont think u could get a top band with just general knowledge and not talking about at least most of the dot points... i think u'd have to show that u noe how to apply at least 6 of the points as well as general knowledge to be close to a band 6...

Lanz122

djmattyd said:
The 15 mark question referred to the third and last focus question in the option.

The focus question was:

And the following were the skills:

· building positive self-concepts
· developing a sense of connectedness
· promoting an acceptance and valuing of cultural diversity
· developing health literacy and accessing skills
· coping skills
· social problem-solving skills
· supportive networks
· creating a sense of future
· social action

There were a number of sub-points under some of them, but thats the basic idea.
the 15mark question depended on what concepts u studied....i ahppened to talk about those points u mentioned but my other option was body image... it depended on what 2 options u studied...i thought health of the young had great questions! in comparison with sports med although it turns out what i wrote about in that question was correct so im not too fussed anymore but ye...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)