The most important question of em' all. (1 Viewer)

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
OK, MODS. Let's say THEORETICALLY, that noone got 100, the highest mark was say.. 90. Does that mean anyone who gets 80-90 get band 6 and 70-80 band 5.. so on and so on?
As in, say most people went shit for Maths, (which I didn't by the way) - does that mean getting band 5/6 would be achieved with getting a lower mark than those of other years? Or is it still the same?

littlebinzy

The bands are decided on a year to year basis. They are decided based on the results of that year. Band one is 0-50, then band 2 goes up from there, but where the band cut-offs go completely depends on the canditure for that year...

and someone probably got 100...

always_smile

HSC
My teacher had a go at the paper and concluded that question 8,9 and 10 were for 3 unit people. He thinks the marks will be put up quite a lot.... his conclusion a mark of >90/120 will score band 6 then a mark >70/120 will get band 5. Exam was just too hard for 2 unit people. These are only his predictions, but i am hoping that he is right.............

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
The marks don't go up or down depending on the canditure!

Its more to do with the difficulty of the exam itself, not the state performance, so If the highest was 90%... and let's say the exam was easy, there's no reason for the 90% to go up to 97% ...despite the fact that the whole state didn't perform so well...

But as 'Littlebinzy' said...'someone probably got 100'...neverthless, it doesnt matter, Ur mark is not aligned with respect to the state performance, its determined by whether a mark fits the criteria for a certain band or not!

littlebinzy

Hmmm I think you just said what I was trying to say. I was just pointing out that the band lines arn't definate. You can't look at previous years and say "well my 90 this year will be put me here".

There's no fixed amount of band 6s either, they can give out as many or as few as they like...

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
It's based off previous years standards. Generally isn't worth worrying about.

Zali

HSC
physician said:
The marks don't go up or down depending on the canditure!

Its more to do with the difficulty of the exam itself, not the state performance, so If the highest was 90%... and let's say the exam was easy, there's no reason for the 90% to go up to 97% ...despite the fact that the whole state didn't perform so well...

But as 'Littlebinzy' said...'someone probably got 100'...neverthless, it doesnt matter, Ur mark is not aligned with respect to the state performance, its determined by whether a mark fits the criteria for a certain band or not!

that sounds confussing. The marks are alligned tho. they pick the paper that the markers feel achieved a minimum standard and that paper is given a mark of 50. if their raw mark is lower than 50 which it almost always is than every1 elses marks are also moved up but positions dont change. so u mite get a raw mark of 70 but it may get alligned to 75 but ure never told ure raw mark. the cutoffs never change u have to get 90% for band 6 80% for band 5 etc but it depends on how the raw marks are alligned. so u mite get a raw mark of 90/120 but with alligning it take ure mark up to say 88%

its all a political thing. the government want to show that NSW students have a high literacy/numeracy level and they want to make as many people 'pass' as possible.

volition

arr.
HSC
Didn't the education minister want to change the system so that less people would pass? Besides, NSW IS the best anyway :)

lovetheoc

HSC
how my teacher explained it

possibly someone said this but my teacher said like if the test was sooooo hard that the top mark was for example 87, not likely but as an example, then that person's mark would become the 99 or 100.

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
yeah i've heard that somewhere too....idno if its true though...they might just do that to make the state look good again if everyone did crap. but everyone didn't do crap. someone's bound to get 99 or even 100.

Sarah_Lou

hsc ova
HSC
what971 said:
OK, MODS. Let's say THEORETICALLY, that noone got 100, the highest mark was say.. 90. Does that mean anyone who gets 80-90 get band 6 and 70-80 band 5.. so on and so on?
As in, say most people went shit for Maths, (which I didn't by the way) - does that mean getting band 5/6 would be achieved with getting a lower mark than those of other years? Or is it still the same?
i love this 'say everyone went shit - (which i didnt by the way!)

how the hell would you know, without getting ur mark?
it makes me laugh...

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Sarah_Lou said:
i love this 'say everyone went shit - (which i didnt by the way!)

how the hell would you know, without getting ur mark?
it makes me laugh...
Better than crying I guess. :rolleyes:

aaaman

Banned
HSC
well y dont u stop ranting about da system UNTIL AFTER you finished your exam, honestly ur acting like bitches

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
always_smile said:
My teacher had a go at the paper and concluded that question 8,9 and 10 were for 3 unit people. He thinks the marks will be put up quite a lot.... his conclusion a mark of >90/120 will score band 6 then a mark >70/120 will get band 5. Exam was just too hard for 2 unit people. These are only his predictions, but i am hoping that he is right.............
90/120 - 75% Correct = Band 6?

Looks like a lot of people will get Band 6 then. :)

aaaman

Banned
HSC
wat im talking about is y waste all that time talking about wat may happen while you should focus on what will happen like ur other exams :rolleyes:

Buffy 97-03

HSC
what971 said:
90/120 - 75% Correct = Band 6?

Looks like a lot of people will get Band 6 then. :)
actually no... the whole point of the scaling system is basically so that a certain percentage will get into certain bands regardless of the difficulty of an exam.

I didn't think the test was too difficult, more so than past papers perhaps but I'm completely annoyed at my own performance, couldn't concentrate and moved really slowly through it. Didn't work out how to do 10 b until there was only 2mins left. Still i'm okay with it...hopefully i'll do better in 3u.

switchblade87

HSC
aaaman said:
well y dont u stop ranting about da system UNTIL AFTER you finished your exam, honestly ur acting like bitches

aaaman's sig said:
Total Completion Quote: "*curses* Fuck you Board of Studies! Why let the devil write your mathematics papers"
Anyone else smell irony?

illusions

HSC
N/A
*Rocksback and forth muttering:* It's my rank that matters... It's my rank that matters...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)