The offical Biology isnt a science thread! (1 Viewer)

HSC-King

Banned
HSC
Well, you all know its all a farce right?

I mean, come on, naming the parts of a flower can only go so far.
Prodding brains is hardly original.
And sex organs titillate for only a couple of minutes.

Science and biology do not mix. Science implies the use of intellect, biology just assumes one is good at knowing that red and white blood cells differ.

So, join me, in a fight against students assuming they are studying sciene, for in actual fact, they are studying a text book, mind you with lots of pretty pictures to give them direction.

Guys, can we make this a sticky?

M

mick18

HSC-King said:

Science and biology do not mix. Science implies the use of intellect, biology just assumes one is good at knowing that red and white blood cells differ.

So, join me, in a fight against students assuming they are studying sciene, for in actual fact, they are studying a text book, mind you with lots of pretty pictures to give them direction.

This is a rare moment, but I am in agreement with you King

M

mick18

i think this is an important enough issue to make sticky

princess_vix3

biology IS a science

well i beg to differ. biology is a science. how can you say it is not? studying a 'textbook'.... what on earth has that got to do with biology being a science?

biology is classified as a science WORLDWIDE. if you dont think it is one, what do you believe is? physics or chem? either way all three are sciences. you learn them from primary school. they are different aspects. biology deals with living things. whats un-scientific about that? just because we dont learn in depth about atoms, or about velocity or what-not doesnt mean its not a science.

Bobcat

HSC
Biology is a Science cause Science Teachers teach it.

If it wasnt a science...then who would teach it?

M

mick18

Bobcat said:
Biology is a Science cause Science Teachers teach it.

If it wasnt a science...then who would teach it?
Geography teachers idiot!

HSC
HSC-King said:

you are an idiot, in every sense of the word...also very immature...

since when is DNA not science?

since when is our metabloic processes not a fact of science???

since when is out biological composition not science???

and the board of stuides classify this as 'one of the sciences'

sceince teachers classify this as 'one of the sciences'

i doubt that your opinion is more informed, relevant and correct than theirs.

and even if you were right, why are you crying about it on a forum

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
the way we are tested in any science isnt like science. you need to decypher questions which therefore makes the hsc biology unreliable at destinguishing between people who know lots and who dont know lots. i think it is shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. ill much prefer uni sciences because they test what you know much better and you know what they are asking eg state bla bla bla

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
lukebennett said:
ill much prefer uni sciences because they test what you know much better and you know what they are asking eg state bla bla bla
Although uni science is a lot more straight-forward in terms of exam questions, theres still a lot of 'interpret' and 'analyse' type questions
+ endless lab reports *argh!* (during the marking of which, they nitpick the tiniest things ever)

But in regards to the original question, show me how biology isn't a science

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
i think biology is a science, i just think th board of studies treat it otherwise. it is a lot less skills based and doesnt test enough of your understanding rather than how much crap about dead scientists and dates we can fit in our heads. i know for a fact that chemistry at uni is like 80% calculations where you apply your knowledge rather than essay like questions which test how well you cram in info for exams
i know several people who have an understanding of zilch but get good marks for remembering facts and not knowing how to apply them. in this sense it is less science based than it should be at school. it has been englishised

Last edited:

HSC-King

Banned
HSC
I think you are all in denial.

Knowing that your subject will be scaled down due to how easy it is. Keep telling yourself it is a sciene, then get shocked when you get pulled down 29 UAI points.

HSC-Rocker

Banned
HSC
Wow, are you gay Bobcat? I have a cousin who is bisexual. In the modern section people have been dissing gays. I have ripped into them. You should too.

Bobcat

HSC
HSC-Rocker said:
Wow, are you gay Bobcat? I have a cousin who is bisexual. In the modern section people have been dissing gays. I have ripped into them. You should too.
nar im not gay, im female btw.

Although not gay, ppl who diss gays are losers. Just insecure about themselves..to the modern section i go -------->

7th Sign

HSC
the only reason why i was forced to do biology is because i put down earth and environmental scince and their wasnt enough people to run the subject....so they moved me into biology ... man i hate it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)