The PAU/The Arts Unit Thread: Music (1 Viewer)

chepas

HSC
Never seen a thread on this before, so...

Anyone in their ensembles, music ones at least? I'm in the marching band and I did Senior Singers last year, and regret not doing it this year.

And who's looking forward to School Spec this year? :D If your in year12, will you still be hanging around to do it, whether its for orchestra, the massed choir/other? Hehe. I'm interested to know cos I'd like to do it, but I don't know if I'll have a full on job after the HSC, if they'd be happy if one took 5 days off in a row for spec, cos of rehearsals and the actual days etc. How would you juggle it?

So, what are we in? TDP, SSWE, SSWO, Jazz orchestra, Singers etc?

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
TDP? huh i wish :p

i was gonna try out for orchestra, but i can't get to rehearsals. But i've been in Spec 3 years running and definatley doing it again this year. I can't wait. And i would take the 3 days off as required. think about it, the all day thursday, the all day friday and the saturday. its only 3. :D

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
what a cool thread, well im principal trumpet in the orchestra this is my first year and im really enjoying it, i really hope i make school spec this year cause its my last chance :S. Whats the music like in school spec anyway

chepas

HSC
Yeah ok, TDP bit too wishful thinking :D

When it comes to marching band it means 4 days rehearsals before the spec, so a week gone, then 2 or 3 weekends before which might be unbearable to an employer! hehe. If i am still a bum, of course I'll do it it will be mad. I so want to.

The spec orchestra did Copland's Hoedown from the Rodeo Suite, it was cool.... but anyone who played instruments were so dead by the 3rd nite. the poor guy on lead trumpet had a bit of trouble pitching some notes in the little soli/o thing, which he got absolutely perfect the nights before. It's murder for the mouth, but sooooo fun!!! If I can't do marching band I will go into the massed choir with our school, even though sitting their all night is soooo boring, that frigging curtain!

Marching band is tentatively doing a the Mask of Zorro, we looked at it the last rehearsal a last weekend. It's so cool!

chepas

HSC
THe schools spec = Schools' Spectacular. A biiiig production that the arts unit puts on every year, like Starstruck up in the Hunter, but bigger and better because it's in Sydney :p *waits for flames from Hunter people..*. It gets all public schools, as in primary and secondary, from all around NSW, involved in a big musical/semi-theatrical variety bonanza thing, with dance stuff, backed by a massed choir, orchestra, stage band. Along with solo things etc...

Usually it airs on the ABC after the concerts, but it is such a shit cutting down and editing job 1/2 the show gets dumped (esp parts with the marching band :angry: ), sometime in December.

Last edited:

chepas

HSC
Do Millennium marching Band haha. No auditions, we/they/Lindsay takes all and sundry. And almost a good chance you will do Spec. Even tohugh musically it takes it out of you (two different extremes dynamics. Forte and Fortissimo), its fun and a bit of a challenge. Doesn't matter if we don't live Syd. People come down from Lismore for rehearsals (gawd, talk about dedication...), so distance certainly doesn't seem to stop em haha.

[/commercial ad space]

Last edited by a moderator:

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
YAY was anyone at the Instrumental Festival tonight, it was mad (apart for the mass recorders).

Last edited by a moderator:

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
NOoooo but im going tonight!!!!!!!! Aparently SWE are playing something really mad. i'l see you tonight Tim!!!!! hehehe

ez_19

Musikerin
HSC
a pau thread, how awesome =)
whoever it was that said theyre in orchestra this year, hows it going? someone told me its gone done a lot in standard but im interested to know. you can be really biased once you leave orch (i was in pau for 5 yrs, great fun..)
and spec... good old spec..
and yes its true, for spec orch a lot of people already in pau orch get picked, but I can confirm the auditions are VERY much based on standard, as i've known people who got kicked out of it for spec, and random non-orch people being put in principal chairs - and it might SEEM like people in orch get in when they haven't auditioned, but anyone in pau orch has already done a recent audition, so if for some reason they're away for spec audition, steve and dudes know their standard already from a recent audition.

and whoever it was (tim i think maybe?) with the matthew krel pic (hahah, crazy guy) are u in SBS?? (i mean the moving conductor pic under ur post.....)

later.....

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
ez_19 said:
and whoever it was (tim i think maybe?) with the matthew krel pic (hahah, crazy guy) are u in SBS?? (i mean the moving conductor pic under ur post.....)
hehe naa im not in SBS but im auditioning for them and SYO next year. what instrument do you play, will i see you in school spec

ez_19

Musikerin
HSC
ah ok, good luck for next year :) (both orch's have their advantages but the SBS wind section is much better than SYO, thats one reason a few of them have moved to sbs..)

i play clarinet & sax, i'd LOVE to do spec this year but i can't play at the moment (freakin rsi type thing) so I don't think I can =( which also means i can't play in sbs at the moment and i miss it heaps! oh yeah and i've had to change at the l;ast minute from 3u performance to comp.. SO annoying...........

vicksta

HSC
Oh wow this is so exciting, a PAU thread!!!
Im in SSSWE, and I have been in PAU ensembles ince like year 6 (im in year 12 now) and I absolutely love it!! im gonna miss it big time next year ):
Trumpet geek- im sorry but i have to disagree with you- steve williams is an absolute legend!!!

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
what instrument vicksta? I know where tumpet geek was comming from steve is alot harder on the orchestra and when we compare him to john ockwell there is a clear difference. Did you like the instrumental festival?

vicksta

HSC
Im 1st french horn....yeah, actually, now that i think about it, steve can be quite the prick.. in fact, like the last rehearsal b4 instrumental festival, he walked out on us cos we played year of the dragon so shit...
The actual concerts were fun, but it was a bit of a bummer that it was in like the week b4 our trials... i could have been practising, but no...i was stuck at the opera house among millions of primary schooln recorder players!!!!

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
ahaha bloody recorders. yeh i saw him walk out of that rehersal i was there and i was like WTF is his prob. Don't you ever feel sorry for the orchestra because SWE gets all the lime light :(. are you going in school spec this year. i can't wait :)

vicksta

HSC
hehe i do feel sorry for the orchestra, but then again, its your fault for going in it, rather than swe. I have to admit, orchestra is fun too, but swe is better!!

I went in schools spec in year 10 and it was awesome, but im thinking by the time hsc is finished, the last thing ill want to do is rock up to endless rehearsals, so i think ill just come and watch it instead! hmm then again, maybe i should.... when are the auditions?

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
vicksta said:
hehe i do feel sorry for the orchestra, but then again, its your fault for going in it, rather than swe. I have to admit, orchestra is fun too, but swe is better!!

I went in schools spec in year 10 and it was awesome, but im thinking by the time hsc is finished, the last thing ill want to do is rock up to endless rehearsals, so i think ill just come and watch it instead! hmm then again, maybe i should.... when are the auditions?
the audition application thing is due this friday 13 aug and the auditions are held sometime towards the end of september i think....

hehe i was at that opera house concert too! yeah i heard about stevo walking out on a swe rehearsal. hehe. o well. i was meant to be in swe last year but i didnt do it cos my brass band rehearases on monday arvos too. anyway

hey vicksta, are you playing at the McDonalds performing arts challenge tomorow night for the open brass solos?? If you are then i might see u there! ;)

vicksta

HSC
Hehe well, im supposed to be in the Mcdonalds performing arts challenge, and my names in the program and everything, but i decided not to do it, because i have 2 trial exams tomorrow (extension history and chem) and i figured id be too tired, so i got my mum to ring up the people and cross me off the list.
Its a shame tho, it would have been fun, plus theres the whole prize money thing!!!
Good luck for it anyway! i hope u win!

kylie_robbo

Can anyone tell me about Southern Stars?

I know it is on 3rd & 4th September... at Wollongong Entertainment Centre...

When do the tickets open? And were do I get them from?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)