The University of QLD colleges (1 Viewer)

stardusts

HSC
I am planning to attend UQ in 2011 and therefore will have to move to Brisbane. Noone in my family has been to uni or knows anything about it so they're not much help. I am thinking about staying at one of the UQ colleges as I don't know anyone at all in Brisbane and apparently the UQ campus is huge!

But I'm not sure about how you go about getting in? And is there a best one? I was looking at Cromwell or Women's but I'm not sure? I'm afraid of going to uni and not knowing anyone! :cold: Is it difficult to get in?

*Also, how does the references thing work? If you've already graduated a year ago does that mean you have to go back to your old school and get one of the teachers to fill in the form for you? :confused:

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
Want to know how I picked which college to go to? Which one had the best website.

Seriously, most of the colleges are really good. Just about everyone really enjoys the college experience and will tell you that their college is the best. I went to Cromwell, and yes, it is the best.

Most people starting college will be in the same boat as you - not knowing anyone etc. I was. Don't worry about. By the end of O week you will know a whole bunch of people, guaranteed. Thats what the college O week is about - getting to know the other people in your college, and, to a lesser extent, people at other colleges. Some colleges do this better than others.

As to how to get in - there should be plenty of info on the colleges websites. You just fill out the application form, then do an interview with the prinicipal or dean of students.

As to difficulty of getting in - depends on how many people apply, I guess. Cromwell usually has about 100 places each year, and usually a few hundred people apply. Don't be scared or put off by that - people DO get in, why not you?

I don't know about references. I got in straight from school. I'd send an email to whichever college you decide to apply to and ask. They might want you to get one from your old school so they can get an idea of your academic performance, but maybe not.

Helpful? I'm happy to answer more question if you've got them :)

stardusts

HSC
thanks for the info! really helpful

The more I consider it the more i want to go to a college haha. What kind of questions do they ask at the interview? I saw that they have alot of inter college sports or something, do they only let you in if you're good as sports coz i kind of suck!

I was just wondering, not really important, but what are the bathrooms like at cromwell? I'm just can't stand gross bathrooms lol Oh and is the food alright?

Oh and do they let people in from all areas of study, ie. teaching, arts, law, journalism etc or just specific areas? Do they have people they prefer to let in ie. people doing law or something?

Sorry if its too many questions. I just have no idea about this and don't know anyone who's been to college

On a side note; what are the parties like? Coz I'll be 18 when I go :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)