Theft Prevention (1 Viewer)

shortie_689

HSC
Now this thread was inspired by my early morning phone call from my bf to tell me that that the "love of his life" his car was stolen this morning... Interesting story is they went in one garage to go through to the other garage to find the car where they had to put the bonnet down and open the garage the weird thing is they managed to do all this without anyone hearing them...

So I'm wondering what do u have in terms of systems to prevent ur car from being stolen? OR do any one you have similar stories???

Jiga

N e way...

On the car I recently purchased it has:

* Engine Immoboliser (Automatically turns on after 30 seconds)
* Remote Alarm
* Wheel Lock Nut
* Club Lock

These aernt standard features so anyone can really get them from a auto store. Iinvested in a club lock to add than extra amount of security and a visual deterrant, although the blinking light from my alarm does a good job already (I can see it from inside my house).

I see my car as a mini fortress when it comes to the possibility of a robber driving off with it. Its also parked right near my bedroom and a bat is always near by in my cricket kit :)

As for stories, the lady next to me told me that one night she found a woman in her car fiddling with the wires trying to start it, but luckily she was scared off. This prompted me to get the club lock just in case they thought the blinking alarm light was a fake (Because just breaking in will do some damage that I cant afford)

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
I occasionally use a steering wheel lock, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to steal my car anyway.

CieL

HSC
With the cars after 2001, dont they usually have a chip in the key.. so if the car cant sense that chip it wont start up at all?

Or does hotwiring bypass this?

Pace_T

HSC
i dont have any extra things for theft prevention on my car :eek:
its also a car a lot of fuckers would try to steal
so thats why im so cautious about parking it at certain places

klh

HSC
well my dads old car [corona, no security alarms or anythign except my dads very reliable lock] was broken into, they broke the small window in the doors btu luckily they couldnt get away with the car, they tried to break the lock that we have, i dont know what its caled as its a not a conventional club lock, its those ones that hook into the clutch and steering wheel, and we saw that they beat the crap out of it but it woudlnt budge. the thik is a bit crooked at the top and cant slide in but otherwise its saved us from them stealing it. so maybe get a good reliable club/other type lock.
and dont make your car too flashy, altough our old corona was neither so...

Jiga

EDIT : Referring to Pace T's post

Do you have a modern car or one say before 1998 or so? Because contrary to popular belief crims target the older models because they know in most cases they have no security features, whereas modern cars these days come standard with things like immobolisers and alarms etc.

The only real cases of the robbers trying to steal really good cars have been when they actually approach the drivers with guns in their driveway, because that is the only way to steal them... and unless your car is worth $100k+ I doubt your car would be a target.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pace_T

HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
The only real cases of the robbers trying to steal really good cars have been when they actually approach the drivers with guns in their driveway, because that is the only way to steal them... and unless your car is worth $100k+ I doubt your car would be a target.
thx for pointing that out
by the way its a 2001 model car

Jiga

thx for pointing that out
by the way its a 2001 model car
So no wander you dont need any additional safety features, its 2001.

I can only guess that the thread starters bf had a car that was relatively old because they are the ones targetted most.... because your avg crim doesnt intend to steal your fully sick hotted up WRX to sell it, they just want a joy ride or whatever and as a result they want to prey on the easiest cars.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
my car is possibly the easiest car to break into, ive only had one time when the guys who stole our VL (mentioned above by brother), came back to take mine, but my sister came home late that night and the guys ran off.

i still have nothing to prevent my car getting stolen. i dont use any special locks besides the shitty normal door locks, and i park it on the road under our massive tree. it practically screams "STEAL ME" but its such a piece of crap that no one wants to go near it.

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
The real way to protect your car. Really old StickDeath flash.
Rename the download from '.pdf' to '.zip' and open the '.swf' file.

7th Sign

HSC
My car has alright security.

Got a immobilizer, got a heavy sensored alarm,

The alarm has its own seperate battery so if the thieves pop the bonnet and try and turn off the alarm it will no go off :D

Alarm turns on after 40 seconds aswell of the doors been closed.

other then that I guess with a tow truck any one could steal it...So thats why its insured for theft...

Jiga

Unless your car is worth like at least $20k I doubt they would tow it.... unless they are the most deperate fuckers on this earth.

jeez where do you guys live?
Yeah I recon, my neighbourhood is meant to be bad in relation to stealing cars (or so my insurance company tells me so I have to pay more) yet I feel safe with my car out on the street! Although its not a heaps good car, its better than your avg p platers car, Im still confident no one will get away with it :)

7th Sign

HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
Unless your car is worth like at least $20k I doubt they would tow it.... unless they are the most deperate fuckers on this earth.
My car is worth liek 10k around that...

but the extras are the things the thieves would go for...

but true they only steal like 30k + cars with tow trucks...the pro's

and as for my area its pretty good its the sutherland shire lol, well where my car is at night...
its just like areas like 20 mins away from me like hurstville/padstow/riverwood/sutherland station....all these places can get real dodgey and theives pop up in them all the time...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)