There is only one B-cell for one antigen? (1 Viewer)

Fiction

HSC
Hey guys,
Is there only one B-cell for one antien and once that B-cell is activated, it clones itself and differentiates into plasma +memory? It just seems abit hard to believe haha + I've always thought that B cells were like any other cell and quite uniform.

Is that what the clonal selection theory is about? As in the part where it goes there's B and T cells which exist in your body's immune system for every type of antigen etc

If anyone could clarify, that'll be awesome :)

TQuadded

Breaking the limits.
HSC
Hey guys,
Is there only one B-cell for one antien and once that B-cell is activated, it clones itself and differentiates into plasma +memory? It just seems abit hard to believe haha + I've always thought that B cells were like any other cell and quite uniform.

Is that what the clonal selection theory is about? As in the part where it goes there's B and T cells which exist in your body's immune system for every type of antigen etc

With everything that I've learned so far, I believe that the part that I bolded in your post is correct. Every antigen will have a specific set of lymphocytes that will destroy it. If the antigen is new to the body, and no B and T-lymphocytes have been pre-made to deal with it, the body simply clones new lymphocytes to kill the new antigen.

Flop21

HSC
Hey guys,

B-cells are specific to specific antigens. Or more so, the antibodies on their surface are specific to specific antigens.

Millions of B-cells are produced to identify the millions of different antigens.

Burnet's clonal selection theory: "He explained immunological memory as the cloning of two types of lymphocyte. One clone acts immediately to combat infection whilst the other is longer lasting, remaining in the immune system for a long time, which results in immunity to that antigen."

Someone else further expanded on his theory about the whole specific antigen thing, so no he didn't say that there was specific antigens/b cells.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, this is a dot point I need to study (Burnet).

Fiction

HSC
With everything that I've learned so far, I believe that the part that I bolded in your post is correct. Every antigen will have a specific set of lymphocytes that will destroy it. If the antigen is new to the body, and no B and T-lymphocytes have been pre-made to deal with it, the body simply clones new lymphocytes to kill the new antigen.
Sweet, thanks :)

B-cells are specific to specific antigens. Or more so, the antibodies on their surface are specific to specific antigens.

Millions of B-cells are produced to identify the millions of different antigens.

Burnet's clonal selection theory: "He explained immunological memory as the cloning of two types of lymphocyte. One clone acts immediately to combat infection whilst the other is longer lasting, remaining in the immune system for a long time, which results in immunity to that antigen."

Someone else further expanded on his theory about the whole specific antigen thing, so no he didn't say that there was specific antigens/b cells.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, this is a dot point I need to study (Burnet).
lol same, I've been neglecting TSFBH and communications

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Actually when an antigen first enters the body, they are already lymphocytes in the blood and lymph nodes, but they are UNACTIVATED. Saying that an antigen enters the body and no lymphocytes are premade is wrong.

TQuadded

Breaking the limits.
HSC
Actually when an antigen first enters the body, they are already lymphocytes in the blood and lymph nodes, but they are UNACTIVATED. Saying that an antigen enters the body and no lymphocytes are premade is wrong.
Yeah I remembered that but I wasn't sure. That's why I said "clone" lol, I was in conflict with myself.

Flop21

HSC
Yeah there are unspecific white blood cells / lymphocytes right

Fiction

HSC
So does the immune response mostly occur within lymph nodes or blood?

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
So does the immune response mostly occur within lymph nodes or blood?
In the blood. As you know, the antigen travels into the blood until it is engulfed by a macrophage.

astab

HSC
N/A

Yep so Burnet proved/suggested a few things:

1. Immunological memory - as you said, certain lymphocytes (usually memory B-cells or T-cells) are activated so they can act faster and more efficiently in the event of subsequent exposures to the same antigen
2. Lymphocytes have MHC1s that recognise antigens on foreign cells and tissue during an organ transplant
3. Lymphocytes flow through lymphatic tissue and reproduce to form a mass of identical cells that differentiate into either B-cells or T-cells depending on the antigen and infection that occurs in the body
4. Immunological tolerance - found that species can tolerate antigens from other species provided the antigen is transferred during the early stages of embryonic development

Mr_Kap

HSC
Yep so Burnet proved/suggested a few things:

1. Immunological memory - as you said, certain lymphocytes (usually memory B-cells or T-cells) are activated so they can act faster and more efficiently in the event of subsequent exposures to the same antigen
2. Lymphocytes have MHC1s that recognise antigens on foreign cells and tissue during an organ transplant
3. Lymphocytes flow through lymphatic tissue and reproduce to form a mass of identical cells that differentiate into either B-cells or T-cells depending on the antigen and infection that occurs in the body
4. Immunological tolerance - found that species can tolerate antigens from other species provided the antigen is transferred during the early stages of embryonic development
B-cells though can DIRECTLY detect surface antigens and start immune respnose. T-cells is as you mentioned

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)