Thoughts on my subject selection for year 11 (1 Viewer)

Auzendriel

HSC
Hey guys. I'm in year 10 and I've selected the following subjects for year 11:

-3u maths
-3u english
-design and technology
-industrial technology (multimedia)
-physics
-chemistry

I'm aiming for approx a 97 ATAR so I can study Advanced Science in uni (95 ATAR requirement). Is it achievable with my subjects and can I have some input perhaps some difficulties I may encounter with these subjects? I'm thinking of dropping multimedia in year 12 though.

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
Hey guys. I'm in year 10 and I've selected the following subjects for year 11:

-3u maths
-3u english
-design and technology
-industrial technology (multimedia)
-physics
-chemistry

I'm aiming for approx a 97 ATAR so I can study Advanced Science in uni (95 ATAR requirement). Is it achievable with my subjects and can I have some input perhaps some difficulties I may encounter with these subjects? I'm thinking of dropping multimedia in year 12 though.
Hi there, I think you have amazing subjects and you could easily get a 97 ATAR with those subjects! However, my only concern I guess for you would be that having 14 units including two extension subjects and two science subjects will be very very overwhelming. Although you seem keen on taking 14 units (some of which will waste up a lot of your time - for MX1 and maybe Phys/chem especially be prepared...), it is easy to say that you'll be able to handle them when in reality it's easier said than done. I'm not really here to persuade you to knock out one of your subject choices, however, my point is that I guess you've really got to re-consider whether you're willing to put yourself under the stress of this particular subject combination. You don't necessarily need 14 units since the minimum is 12, and you can always drop whenever you feel as if it's too much for you. Having 5 subjects makes it easier for you as it frees up periods for study that you wouldn't get otherwise by studying a 6th subject on top of everything.

That's just my two cents, but good luck!

Auzendriel

HSC
Hi there, I think you have amazing subjects and you could easily get a 97 ATAR with those subjects! However, my only concern I guess for you would be that having 14 units including two extension subjects and two science subjects will be very very overwhelming. Although you seem keen on taking 14 units (some of which will waste up a lot of your time - for MX1 and maybe Phys/chem especially be prepared...), it is easy to say that you'll be able to handle them when in reality it's easier said than done. I'm not really here to persuade you to knock out one of your subject choices, however, my point is that I guess you've really got to re-consider whether you're willing to put yourself under the stress of this particular subject combination. You don't necessarily need 14 units since the minimum is 12, and you can always drop whenever you feel as if it's too much for you. Having 5 subjects makes it easier for you as it frees up periods for study that you wouldn't get otherwise by studying a 6th subject on top of everything.

That's just my two cents, but good luck!
Thank you! Do you reckon dropping multimedia would be enough though?

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
Thank you! Do you reckon dropping multimedia would be enough though?
Most definitely, I don't see the reason to put yourself under the extra stress. You're better off using your study periods to work on your weaker subjects.

Auzendriel

HSC
Most definitely, I don't see the reason to put yourself under the extra stress. You're better off using your study periods to work on your weaker subjects.
Would you recommend keeping it for now so that I can make sure that I'm able to keep up with the extension subjects? There's a lot of self doubt and I honestly don't know where I am.

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
Would you recommend keeping it for now so that I can make sure that I'm able to keep up with the extension subjects? There's a lot of self doubt and I honestly don't know where I am.
That's a good idea. For now you can keep it and get a taste of what it would be like with multimedia in your studies as well. If it's taking away from the time you need to spend on other subjects I would drop it. Factor in as well that dropping it will free up extra time.

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
Can you please provide some advice on my subjects also (for year 11)

I'm picking:

- physics
- chemistry
- advanced english
- advanced math
- extension math
- business studies
- economics

Thanks!
Sure. I think your choices are quite balanced and it's got a mix of everything so for that reason I don't see any problem with it. The only advice I can give you at this point if your choices are finalised is to think about which subject you may consider dropping in Year 12. Or if your choices are not finalised and it's not too late to change, consider what you may want to do in university and investigate other subjects which may be useful for what you want to do.

As someone who does take Extension Math, what I would also recommend is that by the end of Year 10 you should make sure that you have a solid grasp of all 5.3 Year 10 math outcomes, with the exception of Circle Geometry, as this is reasonably necessary for Extension 1. A lot of 5.3 concepts are only briefly discussed within the course meaning that all the basics such as Algebra, Surface Area/Volume etc. are assumed knowledge (more or less). Others may disagree with that as it differs due to different teacher's teaching styles, and some teachers may choose to re-iterate concepts learnt in previous years.

Hope that helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)