Thoughts on Private Tutors??? (1 Viewer)

Peeik

HSC
Hey guys, just curious to see what HSC students look for in a tutor. Please rank 1-5 (1 being the most important) the following things you look for in a private tutor.

- High HSC marks in the subjects they tutor
- High ATAR
- Studying education at Uni or possessing an education degree
- Explains concepts clearly regardless of what mark they got in the HSC
- The cost for tuition

As in my sig, im an ed student so this is very interesting to us ed students!

Cheers!

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
No matter how high you're marks are/were, if you can't teach the concepts nor the course properly, then you aren't a good tutor.

In saying that, I'd go with:

- High HSC marks in the subjects they tutor----------2
- High ATAR---------5
- Studying education at Uni or possessing an education degree----------4
- Explains concepts clearly regardless of what mark they got in the HSC--------1
- The cost for tuition----------3

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
PRIVATE TUTORS...UM...kinky ;)
lol wut.

2. High HSC marks in the subjects they tutor
4. High ATAR
5. Studying education at Uni or possessing an education degree
1. Explains concepts clearly regardless of what mark they got in the HSC
3. The cost for tuition

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Why an Education Degree? If I were a student looking for a tutor I'll go for one with a good degree in the subject in question. If seeking a Physics tutor I'll go for one who has Physics as a solid part of his degree. But I think most students on BOS think a great ATAR is key criterion. Cost is of course an important issue (I sometimes joke with my student's parents that I can't afford my own rates not that they are unreasonable!). In this regard recent HSC graduates with a great ATAR have an advantage as they are heaps more affordable.

Last edited:

Peeik

HSC
Why an Education Degree? If I were a student looking for a tutor I'll go for one with a good degree in the subject in question. If seeking a Physics tutor I'll go for one who has Physics as a solid part of his degree. But I think most students on BOS think a great ATAR is key criterion. Cost is of course an important issue (I sometimes joke with my student's parents that I can't afford my rates!). In this regard recent HSC graduates witha great ATAR have an advantage as they are more affordable.
Most education degrees nowadays are combined degrees so that student must do an ed degree as well as a science or arts degree (double degree). So by that logic they will have to do physics/maths/hist etc in uni in combination with ed degrees.

Examine

same
HSC
- High HSC marks in the subjects they tutor - 2
- High ATAR - 4
- Studying education at Uni or possessing an education degree - 5
- Explains concepts clearly regardless of what mark they got in the HSC - 1
- The cost for tuition - 3

Last edited:

ReneeApple

HSC
- The cost for tuition
- High ATAR

I put high ATAR so low because I know people who completely excelled in one or two subjects but not all of them so their ATAR didn't really give them a fair representation.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
A Bachelor of Education does NOT instantly mean that they will be good teachers. I know a few people who have a B.Ed or a Dip.Ed, and I don't think they are very good at communicating ideas. They may be able to do well if they did an exam for the subject in question, but this does not necessarily equate to better teaching.

I believe that if somebody has the passion, the teaching ability will soon follow. For example, I love Maths, and I feel that I teach that subject much better than something else like Chemistry. Although my Maths mark was a bit higher, I think it's the fact that I enjoy it so much more, that helps me communicate my ideas to my students in the most optimal way.

Not only that, someone who has a Bachelor's degree in Education may hold the mentality 'I'm qualified, hence I will charge $60 per hour'.

This is why I put 'Education Degree' as number 5.

As for the high ATAR, I guess it has some degree of importance, because it means that the tutor knows how to balance his/her subjects better, and hence they can pass on these values and habits to their students. The role of the tutor is not confined to just teaching a specific subject. A tutor is also supposed to be a role model for the student. Unfortunately, I had to put 'ATAR' as number 4 because I believe that the first 3 are more important.

enoilgam

HSC
The main criteria you should be looking for in a tutor is whether or not they can "explain concepts clearly regardless of what mark they got in the HSC." All other factors are irrelevant if the tutor performs poorly in this regard.

Last edited:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
The main criteria you should be looking for in a tutor is whether or not they can "explain concepts clearly regardless of what mark they got in the HSC."
This seems a reasonable view but associated logic is somewhat circuitous. To be able to truly "explain concepts clearly" you need expert subject knowledge. That is why, in general, it helps to have knowledge of the subject a level or 2 beyond the one you are teaching - that way it gives you more depth and perspective.

But of course knowing a subject well does not automatically mean you can impart your knowledge well, as some people are simply hopeless at explaining things - a case of "necessary but not sufficient".

Last edited:

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
I think that it's an interplay between 1 and 4 (the others are quite unnecesary, and 5 should be adjusted to their skills in 1 and 4).

You can have someone who knows their concepts with depth but are unable to express their understanding to the student. On the other hand you can have people who don't have a significant depth of understanding of the subject but can 'use' this to empathise with the student and express ideas with depth.

You forgot a very important factor: EXPERIENCE!!

jnney

lemon
HSC
PRIVATE TUTORS...UM...kinky ;)
HAHAHAHA .

1. The cost for tuition
2. Explains concepts clearly regardless of what mark they got in the HSC
3. High HSC marks in the subjects they tutor

dont care about the others.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
I think there should also be options for 'experience' and 'previous results'

If I was a HSC student, i'd be ensuring that the tutor had relevant experience and strong prior results. Or asking around about their reputation.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Dedication + extensive knowledge is all I am after in a tutor.

gwenwiver

HSC
N/A
Last edited:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
1. Location for me (No tutors live where I live lol)
2. Explaining concepts and dedication
3. High HSC mark in subject tutoring

sweetkiki

Unconscious Member
HSC
N/A
- The cost for tuition
- High ATAR

My maths tutor had no band 6's in 4U or 3U when he did the hsc, and he also got an atar around 92
He did his hsc 5 years ago, and when I had him, he was doing chemical engineering at usyd

Before i had him i was getting around 30's for 2U
After 1 month with him i was getting high 80's
I then got a B6 in 2U maths after having him for 4 months

He was an amazing tutor, even though he didn't do *sublimely* well for his hsc
You should also add, experience as an hsc tutor, as important

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
- The cost for tuition
- High ATAR

My maths tutor had no band 6's in 4U or 3U when he did the hsc, and he also got an atar around 92
He did his hsc 5 years ago, and when I had him, he was doing chemical engineering at usyd

Before i had him i was getting around 30's for 2U
After 1 month with him i was getting high 80's
I then got a B6 in 2U maths after having him for 4 months

He was an amazing tutor, even though he didn't do *sublimely* well for his hsc
You should also add, experience as an hsc tutor, as important
But your tutor did not possess an education degree did he? There are many tutors advertising on BOS who I think will be able to teach far more effectively (with lower price) than a 'Certified' teacher.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)