Tied ranks (1 Viewer)

inJust

HSC
What exactly happens when two people are on tied ranks?

D94

HSC
N/A
For determining the assessment mark, it only affects first and last ranked. All other ranks are as normal.

For first, since the moderated assessment mark you receive is based on the highest/lowest exam marks, instead of it being the highest exam mark, it will be the highest exam marks of how ever many people come first. So if there are 3 tied first, then BOS looks at the 3 highest exam marks (it doesn't have to belong to any of the top 3, just the top 3 of the cohort), and that gets averaged. That then becomes to their moderated assessment mark. I believe its the same idea for last ranked, but not many people have shared this information (for obvious reasons).

For other ranks, it's just based on how much they deviate from each other. It just means they will receive the same moderated assessment mark.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
Haven't you been informed of this already? It's BoS policy to ensure that every student knows the consequence of tying ranks so they can properly prepare themselves just in case it does happen. The DET sends some of its high ranking officials to your school to oversee a fight to the death between you and anyone you're tied with. You're not allowed to bring any weapons or anything, but you can improvise with stuff around you (e.g. chairs). Typically, rather than fighting to the death you just keep going until someone surrenders. In fact, if I recall correctly, the last time one of these fights actually ended in a death was in the late 80's.

Oh also, it's normally held at your graduation ceremony or some other whole-school event, just so everyone in your cohort can see it! Normally the audience is restricted to year 12's, because they don't want to scare any of the younger grades, but since I accelerated chem, I got to see a few of the fights last year. It's fucking incredible to watch.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Average the marks for both students who then get the same mark.

HSC
N/A
I tied in some of my subjects. Is this going to effect me negatively if the other person gets a lower external mark than me?

Bobbo1

HSC
I tied in some of my subjects. Is this going to effect me negatively if the other person gets a lower external mark than me?
Only if you tied first... Pretty much what this means is that even after 1 whole year of testing you're equal then it is likely to be the case in actual HSC as well - so you're not going to be negatively affected unless the other person really bombs out.

inJust

HSC
Only if you tied first... Pretty much what this means is that even after 1 whole year of testing you're equal then it is likely to be the case in actual HSC as well - so you're not going to be negatively affected unless the other person really bombs out.
Is it yours and whoever you're tied with that gets avg or say 3rd and 4th highest mark if you're tied 3rd!

D94

HSC
N/A
No, not at all, going by your ranks in your signature. It only affects you if you're first or last. For other ranks, they just calculate your assessment mark based on how much you deviate between other students, i.e. you and that other person will get the exact same moderated assessment mark.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
No, not at all, going by your ranks in your signature. It only affects you if you're first or last. For other ranks, they just calculate your assessment mark based on how much you deviate between other students, i.e. you and that other person will get the exact same moderated assessment mark.
Well, if nobody is near your external mark (you're top in externals) then it will adversely affect you.

D94

HSC
N/A
Well, if nobody is near your external mark (you're top in externals) then it will adversely affect you.
I doubt that. How can it? Let's say you get 95 and the next highest is 85, and you're tied 3rd, where you are say 5 raw school marks behind first place (let's say they get 90 at school) and last place has a school mark of 60. The lowest exam mark is 70. You'd get a moderated assessment mark of around 91 so a HSC mark of 93. Since you're tied with 3rd, the other 3rd place would also get 91 for their moderated assessment mark, but that's averaged with whatever exam mark they got.

The only possible situation I can think of which would be bad is if the two highest marks are within an acceptable range, so your moderated assessment mark wouldn't be proportional to the highest exam mark - it would be proportional the average of the highest exam marks.

So where ever you rank, bar first and last, it's independent of your exam performance. And if nobody is near you, like 20 HSC exam points away, then I'd say you'd be considered an outlier, given a different calculation to determine your marks.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I doubt that. How can it? Let's say you get 95 and the next highest is 85, and you're tied 3rd, where you are say 5 raw school marks behind first place (let's say they get 90 at school) and last place has a school mark of 60. The lowest exam mark is 70. You'd get a moderated assessment mark of around 91 so a HSC mark of 93. Since you're tied with 3rd, the other 3rd place would also get 91 for their moderated assessment mark, but that's averaged with whatever exam mark they got.

The only possible situation I can think of which would be bad is if the two highest marks are within an acceptable range, so your moderated assessment mark wouldn't be proportional to the highest exam mark - it would be proportional the average of the highest exam marks.

So where ever you rank, bar first and last, it's independent of your exam performance. And if nobody is near you, like 20 HSC exam points away, then I'd say you'd be considered an outlier, given a different calculation to determine your marks.
Seen bigger gaps than that but they appeared to stay in the calculations.

If say top 2 are equal first, in the externals, person 1 gets 98 and person 2 gets 84 [very exaggerated], their moderated assessment mark would be 91. The HSC mark of the top student would be 94.5 (reported as 95). That's the difference between a state rank and not getting a state rank.

In a case where top is 98 and second is 92, the moderated assessment mark is 95. The top HSC mark is 97.5 (rounded to 98). That might be a good bye to a state rank - something precious :p

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A
Sure I agree with everything you just said, but ZombieApocalypse isn't ranked first, which is what I was replying to. Your case is first place, which is true, but cases other than first/last is just a normal calculation.

john-doe

HSC
Haven't you been informed of this already? It's BoS policy to ensure that every student knows the consequence of tying ranks so they can properly prepare themselves just in case it does happen. The DET sends some of its high ranking officials to your school to oversee a fight to the death between you and anyone you're tied with. You're not allowed to bring any weapons or anything, but you can improvise with stuff around you (e.g. chairs). Typically, rather than fighting to the death you just keep going until someone surrenders. In fact, if I recall correctly, the last time one of these fights actually ended in a death was in the late 80's.

Oh also, it's normally held at your graduation ceremony or some other whole-school event, just so everyone in your cohort can see it! Normally the audience is restricted to year 12's, because they don't want to scare any of the younger grades, but since I accelerated chem, I got to see a few of the fights last year. It's fucking incredible to watch.
laughed out loud!

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Sure I agree with everything you just said, but ZombieApocalypse isn't ranked first, which is what I was replying to. Your case is first place, which is true, but cases other than first/last is just a normal calculation.
Oh, right, I thought it was first rank because that's the question that seems to come up a lot but yeah, you're right - it probably won't make any difference and if it did, it would probably be +/- 1 mark or so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)