Time on each course (1 Viewer)

Y

yeh

just want to know how many school hours you guys get for each course.

for me, i get:

english - 3.75 hours/week (20 something people in the class)
maths ext 1 - 1.25 hours/week (8 people)
maths ext 2 - 2 hours/week (2)
physics - 3.3 hours/week (9 i think)
graphics - 2.5 hours/week (3)

half my day is full of frees! 31/63 periods to be exact. they have some rule about the student/teacher ratio. if we have less than 10 students in the class, then we don't get the full 9 periods a fortnight (each period being 50mins). i feel cheated. :(

Striker

at mbths we get 4 periods of each subject. and each class goes for about 50 minutes so that would make roughly about 3.3 hours each subject.

as for the number of people in the class: economics 8; business about 20; legal 11; eng adv 9; math about 30; and 11 in IT (TVET). and it doesn't matter how many people turn up to the classes, there is always a class on even if there is only 3 people! :eek:

wow and i thought i had the least amount of time spent at school. we get every monday off except those of us that have TVET courses, and tuesdays are a killer day for me cuz i got all 7 periods of class finishing school at around 4. but my 2/3 periods on wednesdays depending on the week it is, makes up for the packed tuesdays!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
wat! 9 ppl in Eng Adv??
we have 5 classes of about 23 in each doin eng adv.

yeah, anyway we get 9 periods a fortnight (50 mins each period) on 2U subjects and 5 periods a fortnite on Extension subjects
which is 3.75 hours a week and 2.1 hrs respectively

Striker

yeah only 9 people in eng adv, there were more people but they dropped it to focus on toher subjects. we got a small school, only 'bout 280 students or something.

theres about 35- 40 students all together in year 12.

you've got 5 classes of about 23? woah.. what school is this?

Y

yeh

there's nobody doing advanced at my school! in yr 11, everyone starts at standard and if anyone wants to do advanced, they'll make a class. no one wanted to though.

there's about 90 people in my year. on wednesdays, when everyone does sport we've got the rest of the day off.

im jess

we only have 4 people in our software class.....

but most of my other classes are full....
there are like4 or 5 standard english classes
4 general math classes
2 pdhpe classes and
3 hospitality classes

as to how many hours we have with each of them.... our school has the whole week a and week b thing happening..... so you get different classes each fortnight..... i have no frees at all, because im doing 12 units (two 1 unit classes), so all i have is "non face to face" classes, which means they are practically study lessons...
our lessons are 64 minutes (exactly!!... our school has weird bell times) so in a fortnight we have:
7 hours of hospitality, maths, english, pdhpe
6 hours of sdd
4 hours of early childhood
3 hours of fundamentals
( the last two are my 1 unit subjects)

and we finish at 12.15 on mondays and 12.45 on tuesdays.... :)
oh sorry... i should say 12.19 on monday and 12.43 on tuesday.... just to show you our weird bell times... hehe

sunny

meh.
HSC
We have 4 periods a day, 80 minutes each.

I feel sorry for the poor people that do Ext 2 English, on a bad day they have triple English going for them.

I do 12 units, but I still get frees, cause Ext 1 English runs after school every monday for 2 hours.

Trust me, its not a good way to spend a monday.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
ack i couldnt take a day with more than 50 mins of english :rolleyes:

striker: oh u have a pretty small yr12, that explains it
i goto Manly high, which is selective...i guess thats why we have around 115 ppl doin Eng. Adv. (out of about 125 students)

jess: wow u get 2 early days!

yeh: serious?
we finish early on wednesday's too, coz of sport
i love leaving at 12 :D

Striker

im jess: your classes sound heavy, a more than a hour for each class? woah i couldn't survive that! we got that week a, week b thing going as well and the weird bell times. hahaha :) year 11 and 12 get the whole monday off but make up for it an extra class on tuesdays and thursdays at our school, so we finish at 3.48pm. and we got sport off on wednesday afternoons as well. i think we have the bludgest school schedule. i also got 4 free periods every week (even thought i do 12 units, IT VET on mondays) two of which are a double every thursdays so i finish at 2.05 and depending on the week, sometimes 2 on wednesdays so i only show up to school for 2 hours 9.30 to 11.30 just for english.. wow fun! :eek:

sunny: woah your classes are even longer. 80 minutes? how do you get thru it? and if you think triple's are bad? i got them throughout my timetable. tuesdays i got 7 periods, no frees. triple business, double eco, double legal for one week and triple legal, double business, double eco the other week. thursdays and fridays are full of doubles of english and math! question: why are your english ext 1's running after school? can't you reschedule? at our school with ext1 math were scheduled on monday mornings but everyone didn't like the fact that they had to get up normal time on their day off so we changed it to lunchtimes! :eek:

sunny

meh.
HSC
Yea they're really long, and 3 times a fortnight I have double maths (and I only do 3u!). But in a sense, its ok, because before I started Sydney Tech in year 7 they use to have 40 minute periods, and really not much could be done in 40 minutes! All the teachers said you'd walk in then you'd walk out, especially in the sciences when you needed time to do an experiment, or in TAS subjects when working takes more time.

Maybe 80 minutes for the junior classes is pretty bad cause it gets boring. But 80 in a senior class might be ok once you get used to it cause theres always time to ask questions/go through work and stuff like that. In maths its ok, cause the teacher can take her time with going through new theory, then we'd still have time left to do some questions and ask questions if we don't understand.

I don't think I'd be able to get my head around 7 periods in one day. But remember Striker....my double maths would be about your quadruple maths :D (40 minute periods right?)

I think it was because Ext Eng couldn't get timetabled in, and for as far as I know its always been Ext Eng that runs after school!

hehe...lunchtimes! I guess because everyone who does Ext Eng knew what to expect from it...so there wasn't any complaining.

Oh yea I gotta complain, ever since they stopped having 40 minute periods, they saw no need for lockers, so they took then away :(

Last edited:

im jess

yeh we use to have 40 minute lessons too.....8 lessons a day..... but we always had doubles, and sometimes triples, and we didnt have week a and week b back then, but then they changed it to 5 lessons a day with the times i wrote above
and i have 2 lockers at school now :)
one i had to pay for tho.... cause if the someone in the school wants a locker for the year, they just have to pay $5, so that one is near all my classes, then i have a huge new locker down near our kitchens for all my hospitality gear, but we didnt have to pay for these ones.. they were given to us cause we are seniors :D

fornar

HSC
Hey
Well i have the week a week b thing and only have 40 min periods which have worked for our school as class i have are small numbers.
English adv 12
Maths 20 (biggest class)
Chemistry 11
Physics 10
Engineering Studies 5 (Small class really work, we have finished the course like 3 weeks ago and have been justing going over the harder topics for our trials)
IT (VET) 13

IT is only half day as a tafe course so have the rest of the day off and that means i have like 6 frees for each week.

T

tactic

At myold school Emmaus Catholic College, we were given 2hrs a week for sdd where we did no prac at all over the year. It just shows how much my school cared about year12's and why year7's always got the new equipment

dissonance

yeah our periods are something like 53mins and we got 6 a day. We don't have any week A or B things...

I do 11units and theoretically have 10 free a week of 28 work periods. However ext. 2 english and ext. music related stuff like lessons etc. takes up most of those periods.

for two unit subjects we have 4 periods a week and for extension we have 2 periods a week.

In terms of numbers there's something like:
60 or so people taking adv. english (3 classes)
37 or so taking modern history (2 classes)
96 or so people that take business (jeez, 5-6 classes maybe?)
7 people take take music 2 (1 class)
4-5 people with music ext. (no specific classes)

Nightshade

Pain in the ass
HSC
I read how many ppl are in those classes "yeh" and i envy him!

i have 24 ppl in ext 1 maths
30 ppl in ipt
27 ppl in adv english....
and i get no frees!

so many people, and im hardly learning anything....except in maths...... im learning in maths (thank goodness).

Y

yeh

her! :)

yeh i love the small classes. the school's pretty crap though - academically speaking (only two people are expected to get UAIs in the 90s). apparently we've got good resources. but i like the school for its community.

Striker

Originally posted by yeh
her! :)

yeh i love the small classes. the school's pretty crap though - academically speaking (only two people are expected to get UAIs in the 90s). apparently we've got good resources. but i like the school for its community.
hahaha.. i think that goes with our school as well! well thats what we all think! but i gotta admit that i think we're wrong, we got about 3 of the 25 students last year who got over 90, one even got 98.35, lucky him!! the school has pretty good devoted teachers, for my subjects anyways! and apparently there are about 7 out of 40 of us expected to get over 90!
hahaha, they have high expectations from us!

Last edited:

sif not 99

26 ppl 2u math
23 adv english
12 3u english
14 modern
13 ancient
19 economics
8 ext. history (ancient)

how tight are some of your schools!!! from reading this site mine sounds pretty damn reasonable in comparison and thats surprising

lol at my school theres something wrong with you if u dont get over 90

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
yes well, u DO goto a selective school u kno..thats expected!

I goto a selective skool, but we're "crap" only 45-50 ppl get over 90

Lee

i have 4 periods a day of 80 mins each (i think). i have three periods of each subject per week and the same amount of frress....
i don't mind my timetable, and it doens't matter how big a class is, we still get the same amount of time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)