• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

titrations (1 Viewer)

richz

hello

i just wanted to know what methods could repalce titrations.

Also i want to know where are titrations used and how to improve a titration experiment

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
There is no accurate method to replace titration.

Titration is used to find the molarity of acidic and basic solutions. As for method to improve accuracy, check Titration Comp.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
depending on what r u titration, there r ion selective electrodes which detects concentration of certain ions... but that's as far as u can go for replacement i think...

funking_you

In the real world, meaning the laboratory of a real chemist, we dont use traditional approach to conducting a titration...i.e. all that glasswear, there are very modern electronic titration equipment, things that determine end points by themselves....too bad they dont let you use them in the HSC lab.

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
I am tempted to think that there are in fact accurate methods to use instead of titration in certain situations. For example, in an acid-base titration, given that you know the dissociation constant of the analyte, you can calculate the concentration of the analyte by knowing the pH of the solution - of which you find out using a pH probe. You probably can use AAS too :)

theChemCoach said:
In the real world, meaning the laboratory of a real chemist, we dont use traditional approach to conducting a titration...i.e. all that glasswear, there are very modern electronic titration equipment, things that determine end points by themselves....too bad they dont let you use them in the HSC lab.
Hmm.. those machines are probably for "anal analysts" :p (no offense to anyone.. thought I might quote that from my lecturer :)) Isn't titration with "all that glasswear" and your bare hands fun though? I wouldn't call myself a chemist for being able to press buttons :p (although they're good little machines ;))

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
fun yes... but very ineffective and time consuming...

richz

anyone know where are titrations used, in the industry and when it is used for foods and beverages?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
xrtzx said:
anyone know where are titrations used, in the industry and when it is used for foods and beverages?
to test if a wine's good to use...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)