To what extent do internal marks get considered in the HSC? (1 Viewer)

Ununoctium

Che barba
HSC
Hi everyone,

I know that the standard response to this question is that internal marks count towards 50% of your HSC. If your internal marks are 80/100 for one 50% assessment and 90/100 for another 50% assessment, your internal mark for your HSC is 85/100.

However, I find this hard to believe for several reasons. How does BOSTES know that all teachers mark the same? Surely one teacher in the state is more lenient than another. Secondly, how does BOSTES know that all assessments are of the same difficulty? Again, not all assessments are the same, and marks will range.

I have a feeling that the internal mark has something to do only with rank and the actual HSC exam papers. There is probably already a response to this, and if so, a link to it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
Moderation:
They don't know how fairly/harsh the schools mark, so thats why they have it 50 internals and 50 externals. The external generally determine how harsh/easy the internals were, and so that's why that benchmark exam was set.

To make it fair, they moderate the assessment task to mimic your exam mark. So, if I received a 94 in cafs for internals, and 92 for externals, a simpler way to deciding this is 92+94/2= 93 basically. Another example, 86 in internals and 75 in externals = 80.5 HSC mark.

The BOS have their own way of figuring out, but that's the general idea of it.

Rankings:
Rank first in internals = highest examination mark and so forth.

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Hi everyone,

I know that the standard response to this question is that internal marks count towards 50% of your HSC. If your internal marks are 80/100 for one 50% assessment and 90/100 for another 50% assessment, your internal mark for your HSC is 85/100.

However, I find this hard to believe for several reasons. How does BOSTES know that all teachers mark the same? Surely one teacher in the state is more lenient than another. Secondly, how does BOSTES know that all assessments are of the same difficulty? Again, not all assessments are the same, and marks will range.

I have a feeling that the internal mark has something to do only with rank and the actual HSC exam papers. There is probably already a response to this, and if so, a link to it would be appreciated.

Thanks.
They moderate the school assessment mark using the only common assessment task across the state - the HSC itself.

This is why they say that the top exam mark becomes the top assessment mark and the bottom exam mark becomes the bottom assessment mark - as the exam sets the range, total, median and mean for the assessment marks with a tiny margin to allow for a range of scenarios.

photastic

HSC
BOS gets ur internal rank not marks
No, School sends your mark based on your assessments. This mark is moderated based on your cohort's external performance and your rank. This becomes your assessment mark.

HSC
BOS gives no shits about the marks you get in your school. Only your rank matters. For e.g. it doesnt matter if your final mark is 99% or 1% if you are FIRST you are FIRST. The only "marks" that matter are the final external examination mark. When the marks for these are finalised this will determine your internal assessment marks.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Your internal marks dont mean anything just the relative difference between you and others matters.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)