top achievers in course 2014 question!! (1 Viewer)

dollypaton

HSC
how exactly are state ranks calculated?

since we can only get marks of whole numbers and no decimal points, wouldnt heaps of people get the same mark and thus heaps of people getting state ranks? like i dont understand how there are only 10 or so people who get them (depending on the subject)!!

e.g. i got 95 in a subject and the top mark for that subject was 98 and there were 10 state rankers! how do they determine who gets 6th, 7th, 8th place etc??

it is evident on the board of studies that some people did get the same mark as it went like this: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 6th, 7th, 7th , 7th, 10th.

like im only 3 marks off the top mark so wouldnt i come 3rd... like wouldnt 2nd place have got 97 etc etc
i dont really understand how it works!
an explanation would be greatly appreciated! :)

emilios

HSC
how exactly are state ranks calculated?

since we can only get marks of whole numbers and no decimal points, wouldnt heaps of people get the same mark and thus heaps of people getting state ranks? like i dont understand how there are only 10 or so people who get them (depending on the subject)!!

e.g. i got 95 in a subject and the top mark for that subject was 98 and there were 10 state rankers! how do they determine who gets 6th, 7th, 8th place etc??

it is evident on the board of studies that some people did get the same mark as it went like this: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 6th, 7th, 7th , 7th, 10th.

like im only 3 marks off the top mark so wouldnt i come 3rd... like wouldnt 2nd place have got 97 etc etc
i dont really understand how it works!
an explanation would be greatly appreciated! :)
you're not only 3 marks off the top mark. what you see are your "aligned" marks, not your raw marks.

for example: a 75 raw mark in Extension 2 Maths often goes to 94. An 80 often goes to 95. An 85 is 96. That leaves plenty of room for a full spread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)