Top tier Selective School environment (1 Viewer)

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
Hurlstone 😂
Some people who go to Hurlstone may actually intend to pursue an agricultural career. I suspect that’s no longer the case with JRAHS.
I think the most likely school to produce future agriculturalists is Farrer.

I honestly don’t know why JRAHS is still identified as an agricultural school.

dumNerd

HSC
Some people who go to Hurlstone may actually intend to pursue an agricultural career. I suspect that’s no longer the case with JRAHS.
I think the most likely school to produce future agriculturalists is Farrer.

I honestly don’t know why JRAHS is still identified as an agricultural school.
99 median *

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
99 median *
I’m aware of the ATAR achievements, but continuing to identify as an agricultural school just forces a lot of students to study a subject they have little interest in pursuing as a career (although I guess Ag does have a significant Bio component and a large percentage of students are hoping to pursue a med career).

Qeru

HSC
I’m aware of the ATAR achievements, but continuing to identify as an agricultural school just forces a lot of students to study a subject they have little interest in pursuing as a career (although I guess Ag does have a significant Bio component and a large percentage of students are hoping to pursue a med career).
Arent most agriculture state ranks from ruse? Also math is never used in medicine yet pretty much every ruse kid does 4u?

idkkdi

HSC
no one cares abotu agriculture lol. its dropped in junior years. the people who keep it get those easy state ranks in agriculture for fun lmao.
at the end of the day, no one is really studying ag or geography or pdhpe properly anyways (during y7-10), and agriculture gives you some self-planted food to eat lol.

quickoats

HSC
agriculture gives you some self-planted food to eat lol.
more like dodging cow excrement when working in the dairy (the trick is to let it set and flick it off... trying to wash it immediately means it’ll stain)

disclaimer: i did not go to the agricultural school that only has a little cute veggie patch

Also, does Ruse have to miss out on certain prac stuff so they can all accelerate ag? Not sure if you guys get to do the “fun” stuff like potatoes or AI with Breedin’ Betsy or preg testing. Anyone can confirm?

Last edited:

Qeru

HSC
16 x 100 in 3u, 41 x 99. correlation definitely exists but eh.

1000th message pog. #4digitclub
The saying correlation does not equal causation is kinda true. Not only does Du get ruse kids (who are already the top students) he gets the top ruse kids.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
Arent most agriculture state ranks from ruse? Also math is never used in medicine yet pretty much every ruse kid does 4u?
It’s appropriate for any school to offer high level subjects such as MEx2 (& EEx2, Physics etc) so that its students are well prepared for any tertiary course of their choosing (Engineering, Actuarial studies). Which subjects students choose to take up is entirely up to them. My comment is that by identifying as an agricultural school, agriculture is compulsory and not a choice, but I see now that it is like having a niche trove market cornered. Doing 4U purely for the marks would appear to be calculated game theory by students. Remaining an agricultural school and compacting the course for its students seems like school admin are also pretty good at game theory. It’s certainly different to the very laid back environment at our local HS, so the original poster should probably expect some changes. That said, if HSTB is going to BHHS, my nephew is in its 2023 HSC cohort and he seems to be pretty happy there.

hstb_

HSC
Hey,

We are in the exact same boat. I am also coming from a non-selective school and we are transferring into the same grade, at the same school :)

I definitely understand your concerns as I would assume they are similar to most transfers (including myself).

There are differences between any school, and it is important to keep an open mind as you move into a new environment. I also asked a couple of my Baulko friends how they feel the environment/social dynamic is, and it significantly varied according to the person.

Transferring to a selective school would have some obstacles when it comes to "fitting in". This can be academically, socially and even in terms of the culture. I want to remind you that you got in because you have something to offer, and I would assume the admissions board would take into account how you have displayed your ability to adapt to new, but competitive environments.

I hope this has helped.
Thank you !:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)