topping a subject at a "good" school, increase hsc mark? (1 Viewer)

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
if u top, or near top a subject at a "good" school (i go to Barker, and thats what i'm classifying as a "good" school), then are you going to increase your HSC mark? i mean i know that topping a subject at my school isn't like topping a subject at James Ruse, but compared to schools below mine?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
What Bon said...

As long as your HSC mark is alright (which it should be at a "good" school) you WILL be boosted by the school ...

sai

ahaha everyone over rates my school
james ruse, jsut coz u top a subject at ruse, doesnt mean u automatically top the state
james ruse is only good
coz the average of the school are good

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by sai
ahaha everyone over rates my school
james ruse, jsut coz u top a subject at ruse, doesnt mean u automatically top the state
james ruse is only good
coz the average of the school are good
yeah, looking at last yr's list, I dont think a Ruse student topped anything in the state

sai

yeah see hwat i mean
no one at ruse topped anything yet the median for the grade was 99.3
its just the average thats good

bobo123

HSC
average 99.3 omfg -_- :D
how many students per grade in ruse?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by bobo123
average 99.3 omfg -_- :D
how many students per grade in ruse?
160 in yr12? I dunno, ask spice girl

its true wen they talk about UAI's as decimals (eg. .35 or .75) coz its assumed everyones in the 99's

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by MinAi

yeah, looking at last yr's list, I dont think a Ruse student topped anything in the state
Having a student who topped something in the state is surely not an accurate representation of the quality of the students and staff in general though.

To establish that, you need to look at a full breakdown of the marks. You need the mean, standard deviations...basically you need to see the bell curve :).

sai

no one at ruse topped anything yet the median for the grade was 99.3
its just the average thats good
The median is the middle number - the number exactly halfway between the highest and lowest value. The mean is the average. I assume you're referring to the mean, and that is very good :).

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by MinAi

i think a girl from Ruse topped the state in Cosmology. Not sure though heard this from a friend

Twintip

Yep, the top Cosmo student was from Ruse.

If you top your grade and then get the top mark in the HSC exam, the quality of the rest of your year will neither advantage or disadvantage you, right? Like if you go to a crap school but come first and then get the top HSC exam mark, the crappiness of the rest of your year will have no effect because 'you' get both 'your' marks. Is that correct? If so, couldn't the same thing be said if you top a good school?

Can the top mark ever be considered an outlier when the BOS determine how well a school is going to scale in any given subject? Like if this one person does extremely well and everyone else is crap? I know it happens with abnormally low marks, just wondering if it occurs the other way (I can't imagine the situation would occur often, if at all).

sai

i know what the median/means are
i was refering to them seperately
it was the median, not the mean that was 99.3

and seperately
i was reiterating the good school top mark thing

same diff ayway

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by Twintip

If you top your grade and then get the top mark in the HSC exam, the quality of the rest of your year will neither advantage or disadvantage you, right?
Right.

Like if you go to a crap school but come first and then get the top HSC exam mark, the crappiness of the rest of your year will have no effect because 'you' get both 'your' marks. Is that correct?
Yes.

If so, couldn't the same thing be said if you top a good school?
I can envisage that you might have to "share" marks if you topped your school but were separated from your peers by a statistically insignificant margin - your assessment mark might not be the same as your exam mark. But it would be wonderful to have that worry about that sort of thing wouldn't it? :p

Can the top mark ever be considered an outlier when the BOS determine how well a school is going to scale in any given subject?
When you talk about the school being scaled, I think you're putting a rather aggressive spin on what is really quite an equitable exercise :p. I'd prefer to reuse my analogy of the students as a team winning a pool of marks which is then divided up based on assessment rankings :) (have I really said this three time to different people in the last week?! :D

My interpretation turns your question into "How are the marks from that pool allocated to students in the case where some students achieved far better exam results that the rest?". I think that the Board uses rankings and measures the statistical significance of the gaps betwen ranks as well - if people are bunched up at school A and #1-5 are basically one group, they won't have their pool divvied up like school B where #1-5 are many standard deviations apart from one another.

It would be interesting to see a case of this I know - in 2u French at my school, three of us were in the top 1% of the state in a class of 20 or so, but there were also people who were quite weak. I don't know whathappened to them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)