Trademarks / Patent Attorney (TPA) (1 Viewer)

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
There are a number of salary surveys and statistics that show how much an IP lawyer makes.

Does anyone know how the salary of a TPA compared with that of an IP lawyer?

Does being an IP lawyer mean they have also studied for and registered as a TPA?

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
No one knows the difference between a Patent /Trademarks Attorney and an IP lawyer?

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
From Wikipedia:

Patent attorney
Registration as a patent attorney in Australia is administered by the Professional Standards Board for Patents and Trade Marks Attorneys (the "PSB").

To apply to become an Australian patent attorney, one must:

1. Pass the nine topics set out in Schedule 5 to the Patent Regulations 1991.
2. Hold a suitable tertiary educational qualification in a field of technology that contains potentially patentable subject matter.
3. Be an Australian resident.
4. Have worked for a year as:
(a) a technical assistant (trainee patent attorney) in a patent attorney's practice;
an employee in a company in Australia, practising patent matters on behalf of that company; or
(b) an examiner of patents at IP Australia (the Australian Patent Office).
5. Be of good fame, integrity or character, and not have been convicted within the past five years of offences against Patents, Trade Marks and Designs legislation.

Until the late 1990s, topics were mainly taught and examined by members of the patent attorney profession under the oversight of the PSB, but this process has now been brought into the university system within Australia.

Once registered, a Patent and Trademark Attorney may be elected as a Fellow of the Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia.
As you can see, it's pretty specialized, and requires further qualifications in the field of technology in which you wish to work. I would imagine this differs from an IP lawyer, who would only require a law degree (I haven't seen anything to the contrary). To my knowledge, an IP lawyer would deal with the wide umbrella of IP law, whereas a TPA specializes in an area that they aren't qualified to deal with.

Unfortunately, Patent and IP law are grouped together on this salary site.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
hfis said:
As you can see, it's pretty specialized, and requires further qualifications in the field of technology in which you wish to work. I would imagine this differs from an IP lawyer, who would only require a law degree (I haven't seen anything to the contrary). To my knowledge, an IP lawyer would deal with the wide umbrella of IP law, whereas a TPA specializes in an area that they aren't qualified to deal with.
The wide umbrella of IP law basically comprises all of trademarks/copyright/patents. That's the thing, I think to call yourself an IP lawyer, you need to have acquired at least one of trademarks or patent attorney registration which is a completely separate process from law degrees. In that context, what can a law-qualified lawyer with trademarks/patent attorney registration do, that a trademarks/patent attorney-only cannot do?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
You'll probably put a bullet in your head tbh because who the hell wants to be a patent lawyer besides the most boring fuck on earth.

vigourrv

HSC
Google says " On average, Trademrking lawyers earn a salary of $184,958 per year. This figure is based on the average income of lawyers across all areas of law. "

But i have a law graduate & finding hard time to get a client or job since last few month

on top of the people offer me practice but since i am not experienced they say that they won't pay.

Is there anyone have idea? what should i do to make money with my law degree?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)