traffic lights question (1 Viewer)

HSC
okay, i've kinda always wondered about this, i had a bit of a search but couldn't find anything ..

you know how sometimes when you're coming up to a set of lights and they turn yellow, but there's no way you can stop in time .. and if it's yellow when you start to go through the intersection, but it's red by the time you get to the other side, can you get a ticket for that?

my friend said you could, but i think that's fucked, 'cause a bunch of times i've been close enough to the intersection to not be able to stop, but then the people in front of me have driven through it really slowly and it's been red by the time i got through 'cause of that. anyone care to shed some light on it?

Optophobia

HSC
A camera: no.

Camera's need both front and back tires to go over the front line while the light is red before a photo can be taken.

A police officer: unlikely.

Police can issue tickets if they think it prudent. They only do it if people speed up and deliberately go through the yellow, not if you went through and couldn't afford to stop.

HSC
haha thank fuck .. i have the wrong address on my licence for some reason, and was picturing all these red light camera tickets piling up at someone else's house without me even knowing it lol. thanks kids.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I always speed up when I see it go yellow if I know I can make it. And if I know the light it short and I see it go green when I am a bit of a distance away I will floor it to try and get through.

Wouldn't be dumb enough to do it infront of a cop though.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
As long as the light is yellow as you enter the intersection.

I was driving tonight. turning from lane cove rd onto the pac highway (near gordon) I saw the green light. Put my foot down cause I knew it wouldnt last. hit 70, 80, 90.

Got to the intersection. still just yellow. slowed down to 70 (as to stop from crashing and dying) then took the corner. After the corner I look in my rear view to see a patrol car sitting at the lights on the pac highway.

He didn't do shit :) (luckily :eek:)

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
lol nice work

hay dan! i'm pulling an allnighter lolz!

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
oh i just have this motherfucking cunt of a four hour shift at work which starts at 6am and like, fuck getting up at 4:30am lolz. so i'll just sleepz when i get home LOL!

:wave:

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
oh yeah i'd do that too. man, that would be the best sleep ever.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Its perfectly legal, you could drive along normally up to the intersection the whole time its yellow and even if it turns red a split second after your front tire goes over the line its fine.

Really it all comes down to a sense of judgement, if you took a ticket to court and said you judged it to be a better option to go through the light rather than breaking hard you will get off. Of course the police officers judgement is usually worth more, and if he/she is very adamant that you could have stopped safely you will probably get the ticket.

in other words, your friend is an idiot.

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
Its not ok if you roll over the line a split second before it turns red because thats a fine-able offence, if you don't stop when safe to do so then you can get booked, only if a coppa is watching you though.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
While we're on this topic. Do all yellows illuminate for the same time period? Or does it depend on the speed limit?

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
its variable, usually between 3-4 secs but some can be as long as about 6 seconds

synthesized

HSC
N/A
speeding up when the lights turn yellow is a bad idea because even if you make it before the red you still might get done for speeding if there is a fixed speed camera.

CieL

HSC
Optophobia said:
Camera's need both front and back tires to go over the front line while the light is red before a photo can be taken.
Is that so?

Last time me and my bf's family stopped at a red light camera, but the camry beside us decided to roll forward a tad from a stationary position and the front tyres just went over the line... but still the camera flashed

synthesized

HSC
N/A
CieL said:
Is that so?

Last time me and my bf's family stopped at a red light camera, but the camry beside us decided to roll forward a tad from a stationary position and the front tyres just went over the line... but still the camera flashed
i think they sometimes flash anyway just if there is a car in the intersection after the lights turn red, he probably wasn't sent a fine.

CieL

HSC
synthesized said:
i think they sometimes flash anyway just if there is a car in the intersection after the lights turn red, he probably wasn't sent a fine.
Well of course he wasn't sent a fine.
The light flashes twice
And twice he was in the same position hence proving he wasn't trying to get across the intersection.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
i do that for fun sometimes to make the camera flash. Its kind of my way of protesting about fixed cameras cause it wastes their time and money processing me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)