• Best of luck to the class of 2019 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • Help the next generation of students in the community for the new syllabus!
    Share your notes and exam papers on our Notes & Resources page

Transfer Application (1 Viewer)

nigerianprince

HSC
N/A
Hey All!
I am applying for transfer next year, I am currently in year 8 and seeking entry for year 9 for Sydney Boys. I currently attend Chatswood High School(Selective Stream) I have a pretty average report, but my sporting achievements are:
Hornsby U-13 IDCA Rep Cricket Team
Chatswood High School Cricket Team
Chatswood Knockout Cricket Team(Quarter-Finalists)
Chatswood High School Soccer Team
Played in Western Sydney Wanderers Cup Football Competition
Music:
Played the Saxophone for 4 years
Played the Piano for 4 years
Part of Chatswood High School Junior Concert Band
Completed AMEB Grade 3 Of Saxophone
I have lots more achievements but these are the first few. I have done lots of academic competitions like icas and amc. I would love if anyone could tell me if i will get in as I'm not really sure. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

StudyOnly

HSC
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"
I don't think anyone on the forum can tell you for sure that you will make it in, or even if you won't. Go ahead and try out, you seem to have a lot of extra curricular activities and if you are capable you will make it in. If you don't, try again next year.

Leon_V3

HSC
You're fine.
In my experience, my report at Chatswood in Year 10 was pretty bad (except mathematics), but the extra-curricular activities and competitions (ICAS, AMC etc.) carried me very far. I got into Normanhurst Boys' High School for Year 11 entry.
Since you appear to be better than me (per year level), you probably have a fair chance.
Keep in mind though, that getting into a fully selective school may or may not be worth it.

nigerianprince

HSC
N/A
You're fine.
In my experience, my report at Chatswood in Year 10 was pretty bad (except mathematics), but the extra-curricular activities and competitions (ICAS, AMC etc.) carried me very far. I got into Normanhurst Boys' High School for Year 11 entry.
Since you appear to be better than me (per year level), you probably have a fair chance.
Keep in mind though, that getting into a fully selective school may or may not be worth it.
congrats on your entry! what were your results like for your academic extra curriculars?

Leon_V3

HSC
Only listing Year 9-10 (as these were what I used),

ICAS Mathematics High Distinction (Year 9)
ICAS Science High Distinction (Year 9)
ICAS Science Distinction (Year 10)
ICAS Digital Technology Distinction (Year 10)
AMC Prize (Years 9, 10)

Basically these competitions are very useful. These carried me very far, even with a C in English.
Also, for Sydney Boys', they put a strong emphasis on sporting, thus your sporting achievements will be more useful than you think.
Also consider things like Ms. Carr and Ms. Downie's Programming Club. Some schools do an interview, so you could mention involvement in these. Many Chatswood HS Clubs are relaxed, fun, and useful, so these help.

Note: I did get into Manly and Normanhurst, but got rejected by North Sydney, so take this with a grain of salt (since your target appears to be Sydney)

nigerianprince

HSC
N/A
Only listing Year 9-10 (as these were what I used),

ICAS Mathematics High Distinction (Year 9)
ICAS Science High Distinction (Year 9)
ICAS Science Distinction (Year 10)
ICAS Digital Technology Distinction (Year 10)
AMC Prize (Years 9, 10)

Basically these competitions are very useful. These carried me very far, even with a C in English.
Also, for Sydney Boys', they put a strong emphasis on sporting, thus your sporting achievements will be more useful than you think.
Also consider things like Ms. Carr and Ms. Downie's Programming Club. Some schools do an interview, so you could mention involvement in these. Many Chatswood HS Clubs are relaxed, fun, and useful, so these help.

Note: I did get into Manly and Normanhurst, but got rejected by North Sydney, so take this with a grain of salt (since your target appears to be Sydney)
how do i prepare for the normanhurst test(as i'm also applying there)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)