Transfer of Car Registration and Licence (1 Viewer)

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Is it cheaper to register your car and get your licence in the ACT than it is in NSW?

If you have your red Ps and you get an ACT Provisional Licence and then do that $66 course that means you don't have to display plates and can go at the maximum speed limit right?

Anyone got any other information and costs about it?

cheesegrater

Overlord of the universe
yeah rego is cheaper in canberra they recomend you transfer it over once you move down. dont know about licence i just got my nsw green p's.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Woohoo! The novelty of driving around Wollongong with ACT plates sounds mad :p

The novelty of driving around at the maximum speed limit (110km/h) legally on my provisional licence sounds better!

kenny75

HSC
and if you're on ur green Ps, transfer it to ACT licence, then when u get your full ACT licence (i think u dont have to do tests) transfer it back to a NSW licence

its cheaper, plus you dont have to do the crappy test

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Wouldn't it be better not to go on to Green Ps at all (seeing as it costs about $100) and instead transferring to ACT Provisional and then either waiting another year and getting a full licence or doing that programme where you get the demerit points thrown up to 8 from 4 and you no longer need to use plates at all?

Anyway, seeing as the ACT and other states don't have green P plates, the rules of NSW green P plates wouldn't apply in those jurisdictions right?

Ribbon

Ok I just went all through this...

rego in the act is only cheaper if your greenslips arn't in your parents name. In the ACT the cost of a greenslip is built into the cost of rego. so, for example, in NSW I would pay for rego $250 and greenslip (for me would have been $450 but for older people it is usually only around $250) total $700 (or $500 with parents). In the ACT I just pay all at once $650.

Licensing is HEAPS better and heaps cheaper... there is no such thing as green Ps and you don't have to do a test to get onto your full license, just pay a license renewal fee. Therefore if you are on reds I wouldn't bother doing green ps before moving to the act. ACT P platers can do the speed limit and after being on red Ps for 6 months (time on Ps in NSW counts towards this) you can do the 'P Off' Course which is a 3 hour driver safety program costing $66. Afterwards you don't have to wear P plates and you get 6 points instead of 4. Pretty good deal really...

Only thing is, licensing is respective to each state so when you drive around in NSW you have to wear P plates and do 90km/h. If you have had your license for more than one year in the act you wear green Ps and do 100km/h in nsw...

oh and another awesome thing about act rego is it is like victoria in that you don't have to have a yearly inspection... cars opnly need to be isspected when they change hands if they are more than 6 yrs old (I think).

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ribbon

Only thing is, licensing is respective to each state so when you drive around in NSW you have to wear P plates and do 90km/h. If you have had your license for more than one year in the act you wear green Ps and do 100km/h in nsw...

Nope - I have spoke to the P Off People and a few People in ACT Urban Services - Road Services and they say that u dont have to put it on. I was pulled up in Harden NSW fo4r a random breath test and he looked at my licence and seen my car etc etc and it was no problem.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Yeah, I was thinking about that. You're on the ACT licence and not the NSW licence so you won't have to act like you're on a NSW licence right?

I think a while back we had a problem where some Olympian or something who was under some age had an American licence which allowed her to drive and the state had to accept that and let her drive?

Ribbon

Originally posted by googy_1985
Nope - I have spoke to the P Off People and a few People in ACT Urban Services - Road Services and they say that u dont have to put it on. I was pulled up in Harden NSW fo4r a random breath test and he looked at my licence and seen my car etc etc and it was no problem.
really? this is an e-mail I got back from the rta about it, admittedly it doesn't exactly address the question, but they seem to make it pretty clear they want you to abide by NSW licensing rules (I thought it was stupid too)

Dear Christine

If you have held your Provisional licence for 12 months or more, the
RTA do advise that whilst driving in NSW you abide by the NSW P2
licence conditions, I have listed these below for you.

The provisional P2 licence has these restrictions:

when driving any motor vehicle, the licensee must display a clearly
visible green-on-white 'P' plate at the front and rear (or a 'P' sign
on the roof, eg driving school vehicles).
If placing 'P' plates on windows, they must be held against the
glass, be clearly visible in the lower left-hand side of the
windscreen and on the lower left-hand side of the rear facing window
and must not be placed on any other part of the window area. Plates
may be inside or outside the glass, but if placed on the outside
should be clear of the wiper area.

If towing a trailer a 'P' plate must be displayed on the rear of the
trailer.

a maximum speed limit of 100 km/h
a maximum of 6 demerit points during the term of the licence
no upgrading to a licence above class HR
cannot practice driving for class MC or HC.

Regards
Jody

damn rta... I am doing my P-Off thingo tommorrow and ask them then. If they say the same thing as they told you I am going to be cheering... I don't like the idea of having to pull over and put my p plates on when I cross the border!

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
And I can really see you carrying around a set of green p-plates you can't use anywhere else..

Ribbon

ok I asked them at the P-Off course and they said the RTA was definitely wrong, you follow your own licensing restrictions in NSW ie you do whatever the speed limit is and don't have to wear your Ps... I *love* the act :D

Oh and Josie P plates don't exactly take up much room in your glovebox... I wouldn't mind carrying them around so much as having to put the bastards on and take them off again!

cheesegrater

Overlord of the universe
cool act plates here i come?
how much does it cost all up? just the $66 test fee or do you need to buy a licence for x number of years

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
so can i tranfer my license to act because i have a postal address in act? and if so will i get a full licence? im 19 and second year of green ps

Ribbon

yeah, if you have a postal address in the act... I can't remember what they wanted to prove it, probably just a telephone bill or a formal letter of some kind...

You will only get a full licence if you have been on your green Ps for over 2 years, otherwise you will go onto red Ps again. Once your total on your Ps (in either or both NSW/ACT) is over 3 years you get onto your full license.

Ribbon

Originally posted by cheesegrater
cool act plates here i come?
how much does it cost all up? just the $66 test fee or do you need to buy a licence for x number of years
they consider that you have already 'bought' your license with the $$ you paid the NSW RTA so it is free until the expiry date on your NSW license, then you have to renew it. I havn't had to renew mine yet so I'm not sure how much it costs...

cheesegrater

Overlord of the universe
hey what did you do for that part a & b thing, do they check you have done it?
im going to do it in the holidays.
for those wh oare interested yo have to do one a and one b of the following
GROUP A
• interview three drivers;
• search the internet for
information on youth
accidents;
• investigate motor vehicle
insurance for new drivers;
or
• conduct two vehicle inspections.
GROUP B
• compile a log of driving habits
of other motorists;
• examine three accident-damaged
vehicles in a wrecking yard;
• design a road safety poster;
• create a 30-second road safety
TV commercial; or
• design a road safety web page.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
B seems more interesting simply because you can kill two birds with one stone. Go to the wreckers and see some smashed up cars and get some spare parts so your car doesn't end up there :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)