Travelling, wat do u reckon? (1 Viewer)

Az-jay

HSC
basically i've been given the opportunity to defer uni (assuming i get accepted) and live with my aunt in London for a year, travelling Europe. on the other hand i was speaking to my manager at work the other day and i've essentially been offered a management position either part time or full depending on whether i go to uni, once i've finninshed my hsc.

i'm completely torn, cause i'd love to travell however i'v always wanted to management and i'd be financially better of staying.

what do you guys reckon?

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I would stay. Part time management position while at uni is a pretty good deal. But its really a personal thing. If you really want to travel then you should do that.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Travel. I'd definitely travel because a management thing is just a job, uni will always be there but the chance to travel across the world experiencing the cultures, lifestyles, foods, sights and smells of not just a different country, continent or city, it's a different world. You'll always remember the freedom and the great memories of travelling.

Sure you've been offered a position but it's only a job whereas travelling is an experience which will affect you in ways that no management position will ever come close to.

I might be a little bias, seeing as I've always travelled the world, seeing South America, Canada, Europe, Russia, Scandinavia and spending 9 months in the north of Portugal... but If you gave me the choice between travelling or settling down with a job, i'd travel every single time.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Travel.... unless your job is your passion.

You have to do it while you are young, it just gets harder as you get more tied down later.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
I'm guessing management is a "Shift manager" or whatever they call it at MacDonalds? In that case I wouldn't worry about it too much you will get better management offers later.

Next up the uni, you are probably still in study mode, if so, STICK WITH IT! If you take a year off you might find you will never get back into it, if you can get it done then get it done while you are in that frame of mind. Even a year or 2 years out it gets harder to get back into the groove of things especially if you get distracted.

Lastly the travel, just finishing your HSC I am guessing you are under 20, you can still travel when you are over 20 so don't worry about that. You could always find a job where you are going to be sent overseas for. I am about to start packing to go on 2 contracts in the next few months, one to the middle east and one to europe. Next year perhaps I might make it to South Africa or similar. Chances are with a degree and being more mature you will also find work overseas a lot easier than doing the backpacker circuit. Plus you might end up going with uni friends or a partner which would make it more fun again.

!! CaR`JiE !!

cäяяoт ^^'
HSC
If you have the money to travel then gO!
as long u think u have the money to spend.
Everyone has different opinion.
As for me, you have rest of ur life to work and/or travel so i'd rather finish my studies a.s.a.p then i'll think of travelling.. this is because i don't have the money to travel overseas yet. Saving money first.

doe

HSC
N/A
travel

what are you managing?

HellVeN

Banned
HSC
Traveling is grossly overrated in my humble opinion. I have travelled on numerous occasions and have lived in various countries in my short life - but I have never felt that it was a really rewarding experience. Then again, sight seeing and museums were never my thing, I'm also more of an indoors person.

I think that you should weigh the advantages and disadvantages of traveling overseas. Personally I'd think very carefully about the whole financial side of it. It's a life changing decision so be careful. The novelty of traveling quickly wears off.

doe

HSC
N/A
where did you travel? it depends on how old you are and who you're with. i refuse to travel with my parents, but id always go by myself, with my friends or with my sisters.

seeing other countries makes you realise how good life in australia is, it broadens your mind.

youve got the rest of your life to work, if you're good enough to get offered a management position you'll still be good enough when you get back.

theres a big bad world out there that australia basically plays no part in. you should try explore it if you get the chance.

Az-jay

HSC
i'm only 17, i don't turn 18 till next march. so whilst i'm over there i'd be doing similiar work to here which is working at Macca's. i've been to europe a few times so i know what to expect. i'm worrying mainly about the financial side of it and also living with a virtual stranger, with my friends half way across the world, other than that i think i want to go?

i dunno, it's too much just now to think about, but i need to decide soon to book my flight, if i go. argh, why can't it be simple?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
sometimes the most difficult things are the most rewarding. sometimes they're not.

doe

HSC
N/A
deep :p

depends on the nature on the offer? can you take it up later?

id still say go, if you think the financials work out. just get a return ticket, so if you run out of money or dont like it, you can get the date changed and come back early.

beccabum

hung up
in the outer suburbs of the middle of nowhere
HSC
Why don't you do what I'm doing - defer uni for a year. during that year, work for half the time, then travel. That way you get the best of both worlds - earn money (possibly enough to claim youth allowance for when you go to uni), gain experience at work, reward yourself by travelling, and most importantly, show your independence. this sounds corny but if you follow your heart you can't go wrong.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
stay
u only have this opportunity to take the job
whereas u can go to london anytime..
like after uni..or in a few years or what not

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)