Trials for next year cancelled ? (1 Viewer)

xibu34

HSC
so since my school got flooded and we've had to merge with another one , our hsc trials (apparently) have been cancelled for next year. I believe their reasoning is that since we've missed out on a couple weeks worth of work we can't be assessed properly or something, which is ridiculous. I think it's going to put me at a really big disadvantage so would it be worth switching schools so that I could sit trials or will it not have a big impact.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Trial HSC exams are intended to give students an idea of what HSC exams will be like, which is done by reflecting the same format as that of HSC exams across different subjects. They constitute a good opportunity because students essentially get a chance to complete a number of exams that are very similar to actual HSC exams while imposing a significantly lower weighting compared to that of HSC exams. The fact that students typically complete trial exams, in addition to the presence of several past trial exam papers means that, under normal circumstances, students get a chance to prepare for their trial exams through high exposure to such material, which can not only familiarise them with HSC exam structure in advance, but also facilitate completion of past HSC exam papers as students approach their HSC exams. Sudden changes to this normal assessment sequence may be detrimental to a student's HSC journey.

With that being said, it is important to consider all relevant factors (including how they apply to you) in order to be able to make an informed decision. Such factors include:
  • The extent to which you believe you will be affected by the potential inability to sit trial HSC exams - Consider your current and future academic performance. Do you have a strong belief that being unable to sit trial exams will prevent you from performing to the best of your abilities? If so, you should probably consider switching schools.
  • Enrolling at a different school - How smoothly you can move to a new school (including the possible need to make new friends and successfully adjust to how things work at a different school) is something that you may wish to consider. If you perceive switching schools as a difficult process (especially if you reach a conclusion that a lack of trial exams will not negatively impact your performance), you may wish to consider staying at your current school. However, if you perceive switching schools as a rather easy process (and provided you reach a conclusion that a lack of trial exam presents a significant risk to your performance and is something that cannot be ignored), then perhaps you may wish to consider enrolling at a different school.
I hope this helps! :D

vishnay

God
HSC
so since my school got flooded and we've had to merge with another one , our hsc trials (apparently) have been cancelled for next year. I believe their reasoning is that since we've missed out on a couple weeks worth of work we can't be assessed properly or something, which is ridiculous. I think it's going to put me at a really big disadvantage so would it be worth switching schools so that I could sit trials or will it not have a big impact.
sounds like lazy teachers who just don't wanna write and mark trials

how can they cancel trials that are over a year away due to floods rn what a shit excuse

xibu34

HSC
Trial HSC exams are intended to give students an idea of what HSC exams will be like, which is done by reflecting the same format as that of HSC exams across different subjects. They constitute a good opportunity because students essentially get a chance to complete a number of exams that are very similar to actual HSC exams while imposing a significantly lower weighting compared to that of HSC exams. The fact that students typically complete trial exams, in addition to the presence of several past trial exam papers means that, under normal circumstances, students get a chance to prepare for their trial exams through high exposure to such material, which can not only familiarise them with HSC exam structure in advance, but also facilitate completion of past HSC exam papers as students approach their HSC exams. Sudden changes to this normal assessment sequence may be detrimental to a student's HSC journey.

With that being said, it is important to consider all relevant factors (including how they apply to you) in order to be able to make an informed decision. Such factors include:
  • The extent to which you believe you will be affected by the potential inability to sit trial HSC exams - Consider your current and future academic performance. Do you have a strong belief that being unable to sit trial exams will prevent you from performing to the best of your abilities? If so, you should probably consider switching schools.
  • Enrolling at a different school - How smoothly you can move to a new school (including the possible need to make new friends and successfully adjust to how things work at a different school) is something that you may wish to consider. If you perceive switching schools as a difficult process (especially if you reach a conclusion that a lack of trial exams will not negatively impact your performance), you may wish to consider staying at your current school. However, if you perceive switching schools as a rather easy process (and provided you reach a conclusion that a lack of trial exam presents a significant risk to your performance and is something that cannot be ignored), then perhaps you may wish to consider enrolling at a different school.
I hope this helps! :D
Thanks for the detailed reply. I actually don't believe any of the schools in my area are doing trials so maybe I'll just have to take initiative and do heaps of past papers 😕

xibu34

HSC
sounds like lazy teachers who just don't wanna write and mark trials

how can they cancel trials that are over a year away due to floods rn what a shit excuse
Definitely. There's literally no valid reason to cancel trials, we have time to study content that we missed so I think it just really comes down the teachers not wanting to bother. You'd think that schools that have been affected by the floods would receive academic support instead of no trials, which just puts us at a greater disadvantage.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the detailed reply. I actually don't believe any of the schools in my area are doing trials so maybe I'll just have to take initiative and do heaps of past papers 😕
No worries. If that ends up being the case, in addition to attempting as many past trial exam papers as possible, I would suggest keeping an eye out for and participating in future Bored of Studies trials.

xibu34

HSC
No worries. If that ends up being the case, in addition to attempting as many past trial exam papers as possible, I would suggest keeping an eye out for and participating in future Bored of Studies trials.
Is it online or in person ? If online I will 100% be participating.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Is it online or in person ? If online I will 100% be participating.
To my knowledge, the 2021 BoS trials were done online. However, should they run this year, I am not entirely sure whether they would be done online or in person. It would be best to confirm such details with Trebla once the time comes.

In the event that you are not able to participate (hopefully this will not be the case), you will still be able to use the exam papers and solutions as part of your preparations as those will eventually be released publicly. In the meantime, you can also have a look at last year's BoS trials, which covered Mathematics Extension 1, Mathematics Extension 2, and Chemistry:

vishnay

God
HSC
Definitely. There's literally no valid reason to cancel trials, we have time to study content that we missed so I think it just really comes down the teachers not wanting to bother. You'd think that schools that have been affected by the floods would receive academic support instead of no trials, which just puts us at a greater disadvantage.
why doesn't the cohort band together and protest this

it's crystal clear that this premature decision wasn't made for your wellbeing but rather due to the laziness of incompetent teachers

like jfc u have over a fkin year until trials and yr 11 content isn't even tested for most subjects and they cancelled them??? wtf

xibu34

HSC
why doesn't the cohort band together and protest this

it's crystal clear that this premature decision wasn't made for your wellbeing but rather due to the laziness of incompetent teachers

like jfc u have over a fkin year until trials and yr 11 content isn't even tested for most subjects and they cancelled them??? wtf
I 100% agree it makes no sense.

I don't think many of the students really care to be honest, most are probably glad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)