Trials (1 Viewer)

Anton

HSC
G'day all,
Am I the only one currently doing Trials here? They started last week with the 2 hour English one on Change. It was thankfully pretty easy (I think). Then the next day I had Ancient History, a subject I've been getting around 90% in consistently. But when I read the questions during the 5 minute reading time...well...I'll give you a timeline:
First 30 seconds - 'Fuck me, I'm completely fucked. I have no fucking idea how to answer all but 2 of these questions. I can't believe how fucked I am'
1 minutes - 'This is fucked.'
2 minutes - 'Yep, still fucked'
3 minutes - 'I must stop thinking about how fucked I am. I might not be. I could improvise. Make stuff up. I'm good at that.'
4 minutes - 'No I can't. This is the Trials. These questions are so hard I can't even make up an answer. Christ I'm so fucked. I just want to start the test so I can get this over with
5 minutes - 'You may start writing' - Mr. Mulligan. 'I'm so fucking fucked this is fucked fucked fucked fucked fucked.'
Basically this trial did teach me one thing; you really do have to study incredibly hard before the trials (especially seeing as though this Ancient one was worth 40% of the school mark). I learned that you actually can't just rest on your laurels and assume because you've done well you still will. I don't want to be freaking people out here, but it's true. So if you have trials in a week or two, don't do as I did and just relax. I'm regretting that now. Who knows if I'll regret it tomorrow when I'm doing my English Ext. 1 trial which I've studied for 2 hours or so for. Mind you, it's far less difficult than Ancient History. But even so...it'd be good if everyone could learn from my mistake and not have to sit there for those 5 minutes knowing you could very well fail the test you're about to do. (I haven't failed a test in senior school, so this wasn't a good time to start).

Thought I'd share my little story of heartbreak and tragedy...hehe. :)

Anton

Morgues

So what was the timeline during the last 5 minutes? Still thinking your fucked?

Anton

HSC
I finished the test an hour early (it's a three hour test). So, yes, still thinking I'm fucked.

Anton

Morgues

My trials start next week and I will be thinking exactly the same thing in a couple of them

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
for me.. *cough*..physics..*cough*

Lee

ki do relativly bad in ancient history and i haven't done any work this year except my assesments so unless al the questions are ontht e smae subjects as my asesments, well i'm fucked too.

stressed02

ok now i am REALLY worried about ancient history!!! i believe i am also fucked!! what topics are you studying?? :(

Anton

HSC
I'm doing:
Augustus and the Julio-Claudians
Roman Society
Cleopatra

All of the topics were fucking hard.

Anton

ben

ancient history and physics - argh!

Ancient history is impossible - too much to learn, so our teacher has told us to take risk and just study topics we think might be questions.

stressed02

oh i wish my teacher would let us do that, she is hopeless also, but she is making us learn ALL the dot points on the syllabus, as they can ask anything and i think we are doing the catholic trial paper. i am doing Pericles, Minoan society, Athenian society and Rome arghh... exam is next tuesday and i won't be able to study until friday... :(

TallGuy

Originally posted by Anton
...I'll give you a timeline:
First 30 seconds - 'Fuck me, I'm completely fucked. I have no fucking idea how to answer all but 2 of these questions. I can't believe how fucked I am'
1 minutes - 'This is fucked.'
2 minutes - 'Yep, still fucked'
3 minutes - 'I must stop thinking about how fucked I am. I might not be. I could improvise. Make stuff up. I'm good at that.'
4 minutes - 'No I can't. This is the Trials. These questions are so hard I can't even make up an answer. Christ I'm so fucked.........
Anton
Haha.........a classic read.
not so good when it actually happens to you (Most 3U maths tests I do)
but a funny read none the less.

I do ancient and I'm hoping it wont be incredibly hard.
We did:
Xerxes
Persian Wars
Spartan Society
and The Peloponnesian Wars (that might of been part of one of the other topics...Im not sure).

Christine

beige member
HSC
i dropped ancient last term so i escaped the trial paper!!
anton, what was the augustus and jc question??

bighead

!!!
i know that ancient history is very very difficult
our teacher gave us a look at last year's specimen paper and last year's HSC paper.

not only are the questions tough, there's a chance that you'd do that wrong question and stuff yourself up! So make sure you're clear on what modules you are doing (if you haven;t already done the trials)!

all the best to all

stressed02

yeah make sure before you go and do your trials that your teacher gives you, or you write down each Option for each question, and the page numbers, as they don't change each year. my teacher showed us the "new" version of the ancient history paper, the updated one, and it doesn't look too hard to follow. i think the most important thing to realise is the "additional ancient society/ additional historical period" part... don't do that section unless you have done a PREVIOUS society or historical period in previous sections... this may seem obvious but my teacher is an HSC marker and last year there were HEAPS of people that she marked that made that mistake. good luck guys.... we'll need it!

Anton

HSC
Christine, I can't remember the questions all that well. After I finish an exam I tend to forget what was in it and what I wrote (the pain of remembering is too much I suppose).
But the ones I remember on Augustus and Julio-Claudians were:
'Examine how Augustus secured his succession' and 'Examine how Claudius established his power' as well as (the ones I didn't do, like it would make any difference to my shit marks) were 'Examine the establish of maeores (sp?) (treason) in this period (Claudius)' and 'Examine the influence of TWO figures on TWO of the Julio-Claudians.' Fucking difficult.

My advice - and this is the most fucked advice ever, so I apologise about that - sorry about that - is to study everything about EVERY emperor. EVERY aspect of their reigns. You seriously have to know everything. I was doing really well in Ancient (as I said) and this test fucked me up because I assumed I could guess the questions. Evidently, I can't.

Anton

Christine

beige member
HSC
they have gotta b the most stupiest q's ive ever heard for augustus and the jc's!!! was it the catholic paper?

Anton

HSC
Are you implying I go to a Catholic school?!

Nope, was the Fort St. paper. Which reminds me of the White Paper, part of the Arab/Israeli topic I studied in Yr. 11...oh fuck me can I not think about school for a few seconds.

What I'd do to be able to party tonight. Christ, the weekend can never come fast enough right now.

Anton

ben

Originally posted by stressed02
yeah make sure before you go and do your trials that your teacher gives you, or you write down each Option for each question, and the page numbers, as they don't change each year. my teacher showed us the "new" version of the ancient history paper, the updated one, and it doesn't look too hard to follow. i think the most important thing to realise is the "additional ancient society/ additional historical period" part... don't do that section unless you have done a PREVIOUS society or historical period in previous sections... this may seem obvious but my teacher is an HSC marker and last year there were HEAPS of people that she marked that made that mistake. good luck guys.... we'll need it!
LOL - we have spent like 3 lessons about techniques on doing the stupid "mock up" paper.

it's so ridiculus! but i've gotten use to it now,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)