Do you believe the new pass system will work

• yes

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • no

Votes: 30 85.7%

• Total voters

Ashleet

HSC
If anyone has been watching the news of reading the papers you would have noticed the new plan to prevent truants escaping the system.

the idea is that a special laminted card will be issued for students who have reason to not be at school during school hours. when approached by truancy officers, members of the department of ed. or the police, if the card isnt presented the student is returned to the principal for punishment.

The minister for education believes there is only an average of 70 truants per day within the entire state, and 7000 other students with reason (stated during an interview on 2gb this morning (yes i know but they are giving away a car every day for 15 days)).

the department of ed believe this new pass will work, just want to hear everyones opinions on this topic, i personally think its the worst solution ever

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
Unlikely to work that well, there aren't too many police around patrolling the streets and even less for so-called Dept of Ed ppl...
Unless the truants go to popular areas/hotspots, they're unlikely to get caught,

However, even though this is a fairly weak attempt to stop truancy, theres not much the GOV can do about it, Its probably more effective if individual schools enforce their own truancy policy rather than a state-wide attempt to enforce it

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
yeh i agree.. its a waste though because police will be interrogating anyone who they see and many schools have pupil free days and things at different times.. some schools dont even have uniforms

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
the idea is not practical at all and though it may sound good in theory, having it in practise is a whole different story

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
The police don't give a fuck if someone is out of school or not. It is the least of their worries. It may work at first, but once the novelty has worn off, the police will just ask the student for their card, the student will say they forgot it, the police will give them some piss weak warning about remembering it next time, and that will be that. The only people this may scare out of truanting are like year 7s.

AGB

HSC
what a waste of friggin time....it is so typical of a labour government for one of their new, ingenious ideas to be nothing but futile at best...most likely, however, it will only cause problems

Alexander

Gold Member
I couldnt care less. I dont think it's the school's or gov.'s job to entertain students and beg them to get an education. If they want to waste their life, go ahead. Maybe it'll teach someone responsibility....it's like those people who walk out of the hsc exam an hour early so they can...sit round... MUCH BETTER!

lazybum

HSC
N/A
I don't know if it is
Originally posted by Ashleet
the worst solution ever
because kids can get up to no good......
however, i do agree with those ppl who say that school isn't for everyone - what about those restless ppl who just can't sit still for 5 mins? That is the reason why they are out of school, and making them go to school forcibly isn;t gonna help the problem.....

the gov should start looking into something alternative to school instad of wasting time with passes......

Furthermore, i know some parents (mine included) who delibrately take time out with their kids from school to go shopping or just talk, and this is to their kids benefit!!!!

Rorix

HSC
Basically if you just designated some police to hang out at the arcades and things (who actually cared about truancy, IMO most police would prefer to protect the civilians than care about a kid taking some time off) you'd cut the truancy down pretty quickly. I'm sure the students of our schools have some brilliant ideas for cutting down on truancy, but don't want to offer them in case they are implemented;).

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Isn't school only compulsory from ages 6 to 15 anyway?

So if we're over 15 and not at school in theory, who cares right?

Anyway, if by truanting you mean being out of school, then I do this all the time and I'm not going to stop. The canteen is pissweake and I have better things to do this year, like go to a library with resources (UOW or Woll. Libs). My parents are too lazy to fill out those crappy little forms anyway...

The real problem is the kids who don't attend classes, I always attend my classes, maybe a better system would start at the school? If they actually did things properly they'd go "Oh, this kid didn't turn up to these classes, right, let's call him/her up..." instead of just going "Eh, yep..."...

Any system can be circumvented, wear non-school uniform and leave all your ID at school or at home.

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
So if we're over 15 and not at school in theory, who cares right?

its not that ziff... its a thing that if ne thing happends to u the skool is liable coz u are under their care for the amount of time u are ment to be at skool

Alexander

Gold Member
It's a pity that there is virtually no substitute to a good education in australia's workforce.
Once upon a time, you did what ur dad did, or if you were docile and built, you worked in manufacturing, coal mines etc. Now all that has moved to less developed nations because we're too expensive.
Kids have to grit their teeth and TURN UP to their free education, or face the consequences of their idiocy. Im Allen Jones.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
okay, as someone who has been truanting a lot since late-ish year 7... i think it's a stupid idea.

if it was really enforceble, i might think differently. however, like so many have said - the police have better things to do with their time, and despite my 57 days of absence this year, i have yet to ever encounter a truancy officer. maybe that's just because i rarely truant in full uniform, and look a bit older than i am (16) but in any case... the threat of the police isn't enough to scare me into going to class [as a side note, i do intend to go to school a lot more this year].

another issue is that, well, there's a million ways around it. i have never been called up on forging my mother's signature, and i've done that on everything from permission slips, to sickness/early leave notes, to illness/misadventure forms. if i want to leave school early, i need 2 minutes out of my morning to write a note. mostly it's just easier to piss off whenever i feel likeit, but if they did enforce this rule, and i decided in advance i wanted an afternoon off... it wouldn't be hard to do it 'legally'.

and finally... don't they have more important things to fund? i mean, isn't there this whole new yr 7-10 syllabus or something?

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
lol i read somewhere in america parents put a microchip into their kids phone so they would know where she was all the time.. thats smart because everyone is so dependent on phones

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
In my opinion combating truancy should be up to parents and not the government. Of course I know that some parents don't give a shit, but some little plastic card isn't going to stop their kids from skipping class. Those new cards won't work... I've never ever heard of anyone being picked up by the police for truancy where I live. People will still wag, but they won't go in to town or anything where they will be seen or caught....

With the old system at my school they could tell if someone was wagging anyway... so they would get in to trouble... this isn't going to change anything.,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)