Two people ranked first in course (1 Viewer)

ReneeApple

HSC
In biology, me and another girl have received pretty much the same marks for our assessments all year, so we're both ranked equal first with only a 0.25% difference between us. We're also significantly ahead of everyone else in our class, with the person coming second 6% behind us.

The science coordinator however says that she's not going to submit an equal first in to the board of studies, and that forced our biology teacher to compare each of our last assessment tasks against each other to see who could get the higher mark. He wants to submit it as equal first but she won't hear a bar of it.

Do you know if you're allowed to have two people first in course?

michaeljennings

HSC
In biology, me and another girl have received pretty much the same marks for our assessments all year, so we're both ranked equal first with only a 0.25% difference between us. We're also significantly ahead of everyone else in our class, with the person coming second 6% behind us.

The science coordinator however says that she's not going to submit an equal first in to the board of studies, and that forced our biology teacher to compare each of our last assessment tasks against each other to see who could get the higher mark. He wants to submit it as equal first but she won't hear a bar of it.

Do you know if you're allowed to have two people first in course?
Its primarily up to the school

for example i am one of 4 people ranked first in PDHPE out of 28 lol

enoilgam

HSC
I'm pretty sure its allowed, as BOS has a method of moderating the internal marks of people with equal ranks.

mecramarathon

HSC
ultimately its up to the higher authority of your school

my school rounds raw assessment marks to the nearest number and allows many people to tie rank wise

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
It is allowed.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

michaeljennings

HSC
Basically, the average of the top 2 external marks will become the internal marks of those ranked equal 1st.
ohhh right thanks, i thought you meant they will give one of the two who are ranked first a higher internal mark than the other but they would be unfair aye.
"Note that if a school submits assessment marks with two (or more) students tied on the top assessment mark, then the top moderated assessment mark is equal to the mean of the top two (or more) examination marks. This is also the case if students are tied on the bottom assessment mark"

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/moderation.html
ty big fella!

ReneeApple

HSC
Thanks heaps guys :)

I've emailed this information to the science coordinator. Hopefully she changes her mind and lets both of us keep our rank!

tambam

HSC
I talked to heaps of teachers and they say they go by up to 2 decimal points and then rank the students.
I'm pretty sure whole marks are sent to board of studies, not ranks. So if it rounds up to the same whole mark, then they will be the same rank.

But for school ranking purposes (prize giving etc), they might do lots of decimal places to determine first place accuately

mark H

HSC
I'm pretty sure whole marks are sent to board of studies, not ranks. So if it rounds up to the same whole mark, then they will be the same rank.

But for school ranking purposes (prize giving etc), they might do lots of decimal places to determine first place accuately
I think what they will do is lets say hypothetically I get 89.87% whereas my mate gets 89.75%, the teacher would send in that I got 89% and my mate 88%, as I was genuinely first and like u said whole marks are submitted.

tambam

HSC
I think what they will do is lets say hypothetically I get 89.87% whereas my mate gets 89.75%, the teacher would send in that I got 89% and my mate 88%, as I was genuinely first and like u said whole marks are submitted.
It depends on the school I guess, cos schools can scale marks however they like, as long as it reflects the rankiings.
But at my school, they just round off to the nearest whole number, so heaps of peoplle are on equal rankings in basically all my subjects.

Vidhya

HSC
Hmm our teacher says that its better for the whole cohort (including the top two) if there are no equal firsts. Not too sure why, but she's quite smart and knows what she's talking about.

noddis911

HSC
Uni Grad
I thought this was bullshit last year when I topped Legal Studies with like 97.4% and the kid coming second was on 96.8% overall. My teacher told me I was first and he was second, then he called us both to his office after school and said that he had made a mistake because they had to round it too whole marks yadada... so basically we both rounded to 97% and equal first. I felt kinda pissed cause i beat him fair and square and especially considering it was one of two subjects i was topping while he was already topping like 4 others, its not like he needed it haha. This year I came second by maybe 2% overall in legal sooo yer :( :(

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
The biggest worry in this situation is where the highest exam mark is like 97 and the second exam mark is 83. If there are two students ranked equal first they both get a moderated assessment of 90 (the average). The student who earned the 97 doesn't get to keep the 97 as mod assessment, which can make you mighily pissed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)