UAI scaled because of school? (1 Viewer)

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
do the peopple at UAC look at your school and scale your UAI? i mean like.. if you go to a good school.. for namesake JR, would you get scaled more than a person attending a shitty local school? i know that how well the rest of the grade does in comparison to you, and your marks get moderated and stuff etc etc.. but yeah :p do they take the shcool you attend in to consideration?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i highly doubt they take the school into consideration
i think people here want to know schools for predictions so they can get some sort of an idea of what the assessment marks mean, as there is no other way they can compare a 70 from different schools (e.g. 70, from a ruse kid = great. 70 from a crap school = crap)

Winston

HSC
Isn't the advantage of attending a good school is that even if you're ranked like i duno 10th you'll still have a quite high moderated assessment mark because the 10th highest HSC Exam mark will be good anyways because of the quality of the students, am i correct or somehwhere along those lines, because that's how i see it.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
yeah Winston, ur right there.

UAC don't look at schools at all, all the moderating in relation to your performance within your class in the exam is done by BOS. UAC just takes the marks BOS gives and and makes a UAI out of them....no school looking involved.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Originally posted by Winston
Isn't the advantage of attending a good school is that even if you're ranked like i duno 10th you'll still have a quite high moderated assessment mark because the 10th highest HSC Exam mark will be good anyways because of the quality of the students, am i correct or somehwhere along those lines, because that's how i see it.
Not necessarily. If you were able to achieve a 10th ranking in a top school, that means you'd get an even better ranking in a poorer school. The differences is effectively cancelled out.

But of course atmosphere is different in comparison to both schools. Attending a top School may motivate you to study more, whereas attending a poorer school your motivation may nor be as great.

But in answer to the question, your school is not taken into consideration. They simply use the marks they are given.

jpr333

HSC
But don't the markers know what school they are marking? This could definitely create some bias if this was the case right?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
No - you're not allowed to identify yourself or your school in your answers.

Students are given student numbers and centre numbers instead.

Wahlito

Originally posted by Lazarus
No - you're not allowed to identify yourself or your school in your answers.

Students are given student numbers and centre numbers instead.

Yeah thats true, but in alot of (if not most) cases, everyone from the same school has the same centre number.

Huy

HSC
N/A
HSC markers could easily remember centre numbers - not that there's any corruption. :uhoh:

jpr333

HSC
Our teachers who marked HSC papers knew what school they were usually marking, or at least some

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
no systems perfect...i'm not complaining :D

but no, uac does not take into account the school u go too...they will work only with ur raw exam marks and moderated assessment marks. the latter is done by BOS i think, and they take into account only the quality of the cohort from ur school that sit the HSC, which is why JR usually comes out tops. this sort of moderation is performed supposedly to even out the marks that ur school gives u and allowes comparison between the marks given out by different schools, and of course, creates the impression that the school u go to will affect ur uai

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)