Uh oh... (1 Viewer)

Trubble

Hmm i could be quite dead but i'm not sure how this works
Say if i got 60% average for most of my previous assessment marks (1,2,3 respectively) and then rip my Trials and the HSC Exam is there any chance i can still get above 90?
and this is with my school which averages 50% above 90 every year (marks scaled by school performance?)

And i also hear people say that your assessment marks are moderated by your exam mark. Is this true...

Anyways thanx. I gotta pick up my act :(

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
your marks are determined by your ranking, not your raw school assessment
im sure this is explained better on the bored of studies main site...but anyway, if u do well in ur trials and lift your ranking, u will benefit from much high moderated assessment marks, provided your cohort does well in the HSC exams

Lee

just a thought....i go to a very smart selective school - well at least compared to me.....that leaves my ranking quite low....in fact i'm quite sure i'm at the bottom of my grade in english cause i absolutley suck at it....so it the rank, not the mark counts and i completley screwed?:confused:

Nelly

It all works like this (approximately):

We have a class with A, B, C, and D (it's a very small class). Now, for their school mark/rank which is sent to the board:

A: 80 1st
B: 78 2nd
D: 60 3rd
C: 50 4th.

OK, so those are the ranks, then when they do the HSC their marks are as follows:

B: 90 1st
A: 85 2nd
C: 80 3rd
D: 75 4th

So these are the marks that are worth 50% of your TOTAL mark. Finally comes the part which is complicated, and takes a bit of understanding, the scaling according to everyone else in the class. So this 50% (below) is your school mark, add it with the HSC mark and you get your TOTAL HSC mark.

Because A came first in the ranking:
A: 90 1st
B: 85 2nd
D: 80 3rd
C: 75 4th

I hope it's all clear to you now. If you have any furthur questions, just write it up.

Morgues

Well basically if you come last in a course 50% of your total mark will be the mark you get in the HSC exam (not raw, scaled of course) and the other 50% will be the lowest HSC scaled mark achieved by someone in that course in the HSC exam

So if the overall standard is high in that course getting a low assesment ranking is not that bad as chances are most will get decent marks in the actual HSC exam

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
the fact that u go to a very smart selective school works to your advantage anyway
because I'm sure everyone there will do quite well in the HSC exams, therefore your moderated assessment mark will be higher than u expect

well thats wat im hoping for :(

btw Lee - if u kno her, say hi to Soosan for me !

Last edited:

sunny

meh.
HSC
Thats true though....because we're expected to have harder assessments, and if we do well in the HSC, our moderated assessment mark will go up nicely. :D

PSsylockE

hahhaha A is soo lucky,,,,,
This system is crap, i goto a shit school where no1 tries,, oh well at least im commin first in a couple of subjects.

lazychic

** hOnEy_mELdeW **
yeah same here! i goto a shit skool that no one even gives a shit or even tries!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Lee - from me...Minai..um, pronounced min-eye

anyways, to answer your question
rank counts, and raw school assessment marks are not considered at all, as my economics teacher put it - "they dont give a shit wat damn mark I give u"

but, your not screwed, because of wat I said in my previous post
read the Assessment/Scaling info page on this site, that mite explain it better?

Big Willy

Cabra Junkie RULES
HSC
Aslong as i get 80 for all me subjects, i should get a UAI of 85+ (hopefully).
And Minai - ur a nigga-pushing dick mucher who makes love to the wall. hahhahaha

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
hehe k

willy - does it look like the ppl here care? i dont think so

Nelly

oooohhhhh, controversy. Is this the first argument in BOS history? I think it is, we have a CONFRONTATION people. Woooooo!:p . Its like days of our lives, except on a HSC forum. HAHAHA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)