Unexpected observations (2002 HSC Data) (1 Viewer)

Twintip

Well, I was surprised by them.

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/BDHSC_2002_12.htm

Example. Percentage of candidature who got band 6 for that course:

Biology: 2.33%
Chemistry: 8.14%
Geography: 8.66%
Mathematics 2u: 18.63%

I know the percentage of band 6 doesn't directly reflect how well a subject scaled, but for someone hoping to do well it might as well. I am extremely surprised at the low figure for biology. Chemistry was lower than I expected and I didn't think Geography would have a greater % of band 6 than chemistry (these are just 4 that I looked at). I was also amazed at how much higher the 2u maths figure was than the other 3.

I know the UAC give weightings these scaled marks and re-jig them in determining a UAI, so a 91 in Chemistry might count ahead of a 92 in Geography for UAI purposes. Umm, is that right? If it isn't, I am seriously confused with the above figures.

Is there anywhere we can find what the course means scaled to for each subject last year? I remember being shown an overhead slide on the Philosophy info day last year the 2001 figures but I don't know if it's available to the public (I can only remember a few figures, like 4u maths scaled to a 43/50 average and Philosophy scaled to a 42/50 average, etc).

Last edited:

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by Twintip

I know the percentage of band 6 doesn't directly reflect how well a subject scaled, but for someone hoping to do well it might as well. I am extremely surprised at the low figure for biology. Chemistry was lower than I expected and I didn't think Geography would have a greater % of band 6 than chemistry (these are just 4 that I looked at). I was also amazed at how much higher the 2u maths figure was than the other 3.
I was extremely annoyed when I saw those numbers last year, but for rather different reasons :p. A result in band 6 means that you achieved all the outcomes needed to be placed in that band - this is easier in some subjects than in others. Presumbaly it was rather easy in 2u maths last year. If you look at the 2001 figures, you'll find that the %tage of band 6 in chem was 4 or something that year...so when I saw I got 93 last year I was really happy. Then I saw that a whopping 8% or so had band 6 results, and wasn't so happy :p.

I know the UAC give weightings these scaled marks and re-jig them in determining a UAI, so a 91 in Chemistry might count ahead of a 92 in Geography for UAI purposes. Umm, is that right?
You're right. Using my results for example, my 92 in 4 unit maths counted before my 93s in physics and chemistry :).

Is there anywhere we can find what the course means scaled to for each subject last year?
I think that UAC's three scaling tables have the information you need, look on the site. I printed them out for someone the other day :).

bobo123

HSC
does all rounder mean 99+? even with every subject on 90 ?

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by Twintip
Ahh, yes, of course, it's all about outcomes! Thanks heaps Kini Mini. :wave:
:)

Originally posted by bobo123
No - there were people with 97 odd there. And it's posible to get a very high UAI but not make it onto the all rounders' list.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by kini mini
And it's posible to get a very high UAI but not make it onto the all rounders' list.
Yes, it is ...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by McLake

Yes, it is ...
dun feel too bad McLake !

I said this before, but a girl at my school didnt get any Band 6's and got a UAI of 97.30

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by bobo123
hehehehhehehhe ... that was true under the old hsc ... but not anymore! :p

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
boy, bio is both boring, hard, and low scaling compared to chem and phy so its a rip off subject!!!
On a positive note its a good chance that u might come first in BIO in 2003:p
G luck!!!

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by MinAi

I said this before, but a girl at my school didnt get any Band 6's and got a UAI of 97.30
That gives me hope! :D But did she get high band fives or something?? Or maybe her subjects were hard...

If I got all band 5s for my subjects and a band 3/4 for one subject can I still get a UAI in the high 80s or low 90s???

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by boredofschool

That gives me hope! :D But did she get high band fives or something?? Or maybe her subjects were hard...

If I got all band 5s for my subjects and a band 3/4 for one subject can I still get a UAI in the high 80s or low 90s???
yeah she got all Band 5's (or Band E3 for extension subj's)
she did 4U math, 3U math, chem, bio, adv. english

wat are ur subjects?
coz scaling of different subjects becomes important in this case

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
I'm still surprised by the small amount of people who get a band 6 for General Maths! I've always been 'Poster Girl For The Average Student' when it comes to maths, but I breezed through that course, didn't even get around to reading the second half of the textbook before the HSC, and somehow walked away with a band 6. Though maybe at other school people are more pressured to do the harder courses...at our school, we were all pretty much told that if we were gonna struggle with 2 unit at all, not to bother and just bludge our way through general. Which we did.:D

And I am surprised by the number of peopel who get a band 5 for Advanced English...I got a band 5 and thought I had done pretty good, then went and looked at the percentages and realised that so did about half the course!:eek:

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by MinAi

yeah she got all Band 5's (or Band E3 for extension subj's)
she did 4U math, 3U math, chem, bio, adv. english

wat are ur subjects?
coz scaling of different subjects becomes important in this case
I don't think my subjects scale that well...
ADV. Eng, 2U Maths, Eco, Bio, IPT

Say I get Band 5s for all except maths, and a band 4 for maths what's my likely UAI?? I'm aiming at least high 80s but right now it seems risky...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I've estimated u'd get around 89.5 with these marks:

English Adv: 86
Maths 2u: 74
Economics 84
Bio: 86
IPT: 83

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)