Uni Advice - UOW or move to Usyd? (1 Viewer)

jaihson

HSC
Hey, was just after some advice. Sorry if us year 12 leavers are getting annoying with all the "which uni" questions, but i'd appreciate any advice. I achieved a uai of 99.8, and am having serious trouble deciding where to study law. I can either;
- go to UOW and still live at home due to it being close
OR
- I could go to Usyd, but have to move up there to go.

I've looked at both uni's, so this isnt a "which uni is better" question. I just feel that there is perhaps more opportunity for things up in Sydney rather than living in a small rural coastal town where I do now. On the other hand, the cost of living would be much higher if I moved away.

Also, for those who have had to move away for uni to study law, is it hard to juggle part-time work and study?

The reason I hadnt planned for any of this before is that I was only expecting to get the uai for wollongong. Now Ive been trying to get all the advice I can. If anyone could share some light from your own experience that would be awesome.

Thanks Heaps!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
UoW is supposed to be an excellent uni in terms of social life and teaching (all the campus 'college' parties)

However, there are much more legal opportunities in sydney - internships, etc.
Also employers will tend to favour usyd.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
There is no social life in Wollongong. I come from Wollongong. I know. You will find Sydney a much better place to live with more people who are likely to be in line with your social, political and moral outlook.

Wollongong is nothing but dirty bogans, so don't worry about it.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Ziff said:
There is no social life in Wollongong. I come from Wollongong. I know. You will find Sydney a much better place to live with more people who are likely to be in line with your social, political and moral outlook.

Wollongong is nothing but dirty bogans, so don't worry about it.

Elitist snob ziff!

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
USYD ofcourse. Do the whole Newtown sharehouse thing...

I never got a chance to do that as a result of going to Macquarie. Hence I reside in a far more "civilised" (and more boring) suburb NORTH of the Parra river. :rolleyes:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
i was more talking about the close-knit community you get if you live at an accommodation place (i.e. campus east).

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
stazi said:
i was more talking about the close-knit community you get if you live at an accommodation place (i.e. campus east).
He's from the gong. He won't be living at college. People at college are usually cliquey and don't associate much with townies. College people are often lame. Go to Sydney, live in a share house and meet some new, "interesting" people.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yeah, true. but then again the costs of living in sydney are high - and part-time+uni is quite time consuming and your marks may suffer

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
stazi said:
yeah, true. but then again the costs of living in sydney are high - and part-time+uni is quite time consuming and your marks may suffer
1) Believe it or not, renting in Sydney is pretty much in line with Melbourne and Canberra.

2) Part time work and university is not time consuming. Centrelink in itself ($200 a week including RA) is enough to cover rent and food. Throw in an extra 10-15 hrs a week for pocket money and you're fine.

santaslayer

HSC
It's really up to you.

You can always finish your degree and then move to Sydney. It isn't that big of a deal. Opportunities are plenty in Sydney, but you won't be overlooked just because you live in Wollongong. Social life is subjective. Wollongong does have a better social life then USYD IMO and I have gone to parties at both. Ziff is a social outcast so don't listen to him. :p

You've gained an excellent UAI already so standing out academically won't really be a problem, nor would the uni itself. Costs though, cannot be ignored.

jaihson

HSC
Hey thanks for your advice.

So if I studied at wollongong, I'd learn exactly the same stuff as if I studied at Sydney wouldnt I?

santaslayer

HSC
jaihson said:
Hey thanks for your advice.

So if I studied at wollongong, I'd learn exactly the same stuff as if I studied at Sydney wouldnt I?
For the 'eight priestly subjects', yes. These are the core subjects that all law schools must complete reasonably well. The topics within these subjects may have different focus, but they are 'more similar than they are different'. I forgot who kept on telling me that. :p

For the electives, different unis may have different ones, usually based on their strengths. UWS for example would def have a Space Law component.

All Law Schools in NSW are structured so that you are able to practise if willing to. (Provided that you complete everything required).

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
I'd still go to USYD if I were you.

In some circles there is still a cultural cringe factor with non-USYD...it's stupid because some of the other unis have really high, perhaps superior teaching.

Even employers have been known to say "Ohh, you go to UOW/MQ/UTS/UWS...well good luck with that".

With your marks you should go to the best law school you can get into. The rest will look after itself.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
stazi said:
i said nothing about melb/canberra :p
You said that Sydney was expensive, compared to what? Bungadoo?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
neo_o said:
You said that Sydney was expensive, compared to what? Bungadoo?
compared to staying at home.
(p.s. canberra accom is cheaper, melb isnt, qld is, penrith is)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
stazi said:
compared to staying at home.
(p.s. canberra accom is cheaper, melb isnt, qld is, penrith is)
I've rented in both Sydney and Canberra. Canberra, particularly in the CBD isn't cheaper.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
because melb has shit weather, shit people, and gay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)