Uni Fees are insane / city campus (1 Viewer)

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
OK, so i been offered a offer for SIBT diploma - commerce which is my backup plan if i dont get an offer through UAC with my tafe diploma, at worst wasting 1.5 years but hopefully will get some exemptions.

Anyway, i been doing some calculations for a commerce degree, it says band 3 and cost is $8859 which means 3 year degree x $8859 = $26577 provided you pass all semesters, which is doubtful for my intelligence which might mean an extra $5000-$8000 total $35,000 lets say. This is not including the 25% fee i hear about? which means $35,000 x 25% = $43,750 :jaw: Extra $12,000 if i need to go through SIBT.

This is insane :cold:

Is UNI really worth going to? i never thought it could potentially set me back near $50,000. Can you still pay course fees by cash and get discount? or is it back in the old days this was available. If i can get discounts, i might as well work a regular job and pay for it and use centrelink money as my allowance for study. This is insane.

Say someone earns $48,000 straight out of uni, how much is deducted from their salary? insane!!!!
OR how long does it take to pay it all off?

This debt is assuming you do graduate from uni etc. geee what about people that dont graduate but accumulated debt. Man, i better graduate i guess is extra motivation to study hard, but wow... australia is becoming like america in terms of cost of studying at uni!

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Who here goes to MACQUARIE CITY CAMPUS?

Anyone here go to the City Campus? i am seriously considering not going to the Ryde campus but going to City one because is more closer to my home and i love the smaller campus environment i read on the mq site it has smaller class sizes with lectures capped at 50 and tutorials at 25 i think this is great! will feel more like high school/tafe size rather than having say over 100 in one lecture etc.

Can someone share their experiences about this campus?

HSC
N/A
Re: Uni Fees are insane

the difference in the states between someone who does go to uni and someone who doesn't is about $800k-900k over their lifetime.

quite a large sum of money, and that's only the average.

university here is much cheaper than what it is in the states.
prestigious private unis in the states cost about 45-$50k PER YEAR.
so for a 3 year degree, you're looking at about $150k in tuition.

yes, you can get a 20% discount if you pay upfront

as for your other question, not much.
i know someone that took 6 years to pay off their 3 year degree,

X

xeuyrawp

Re: Who here goes to MACQUARIE CITY CAMPUS?

If you actually want a real university experience, you should not go to the city campus.

X

xeuyrawp

Most people get a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) which means that not only are the fees subsidised (=cheaper) but that you don't have to pay them until you're earning >~$30,000 a year.

Tabris

HSC

IMO, the city campus is really for experienced professionals in the city who are undertaking further education. I hope its not a FOB degree mill for the FOBS congregating around the city......reminds me of the QUT campus in the city with all the smoking fobs outside....

I guess MQ wants a piece of the action.....

blackrider89

HSC

OK, so i been offered a offer for SIBT diploma - commerce which is my backup plan if i dont get an offer through UAC with my tafe diploma, at worst wasting 1.5 years but hopefully will get some exemptions.

Anyway, i been doing some calculations for a commerce degree, it says band 3 and cost is $8859 which means 3 year degree x $8859 = $26577 provided you pass all semesters, which is doubtful for my intelligence which might mean an extra $5000-$8000 total $35,000 lets say. This is not including the 25% fee i hear about? which means $35,000 x 25% = $43,750 :jaw: Extra $12,000 if i need to go through SIBT.

This is insane :cold:

Is UNI really worth going to? i never thought it could potentially set me back near $50,000. Can you still pay course fees by cash and get discount? or is it back in the old days this was available. If i can get discounts, i might as well work a regular job and pay for it and use centrelink money as my allowance for study. This is insane.

Say someone earns $48,000 straight out of uni, how much is deducted from their salary? insane!!!!
OR how long does it take to pay it all off?

This debt is assuming you do graduate from uni etc. geee what about people that dont graduate but accumulated debt. Man, i better graduate i guess is extra motivation to study hard, but wow... australia is becoming like america in terms of cost of studying at uni!
Firstly, use the fee per cr provided by each institution to calculate the total fee. Merely calculate it by taking a given year's tuition fee and time it with the number of year is not correct.

If u can borrow the fund, grab this opportunity. I'm sure if u get 48000 per year u will only have to pay back 2000-2500/year at most. And u only have to pay 4-8% of ur repayment income/year (if my memory serves me well). And remember, the 43000 threshold is not for ur merely annual income. The loan interest is 20%.

If u're not an Oz citizen, nope. Oz education is not 2 excellent to spend more than $5-60000, more or less. And I assume u at least have PR-cannot borrow money but only need 2 pay around 1000 bucks for 1 year at a Tafe school, coz if not, u would have had 2 pay 15000/year or more 4 ur Tafe qualification (and most of them are worse than my country's institutions rofl). Even the universities are not better much.

And if u fail, u may find it impossible to get a related (and good a bit) job after graduation, coz a 0 will be given to ur GPA and it cannot be replaced even if u retake and get HD.

To whom concerned:
http://www.goingtouni.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/05FB27A6-1F1B-43CD-9244-D92B6388BDC1/0/HECSHELP2010PDF.pdf

Last edited:

blackrider89

HSC

IMO, the city campus is really for experienced professionals in the city who are undertaking further education. I hope its not a FOB degree mill for the FOBS congregating around the city......reminds me of the QUT campus in the city with all the smoking fobs outside....

I guess MQ wants a piece of the action.....
I have studied 1 semester (my 2nd one) at the city campus, and it's not so good (I slept in both Ryde and City's lectures though). But to use the word FOB here...is there anything against non-English background students?

It applies 2 all campuses like this in the City: CQU, CUT, La Trobe...All 're 4 overseas (and some Oz having not very good UAI/ATAR lol) students' money.

tajid73

HSC

totally agree with blackrider.
u know its so expensive so try not to fail.. do ur best in uni...

and FYI as international student i pay almost 1K per cp. normally 1 subject is 3 cp so its about $3000/subject * 4 subjects for full time studies and it gives me like 24K every year (not including some subjects that are more than 3cp) in total 3yr study its about 70K.. IT's a lot more expensive.. so use your time properly

from your calculation i can totally see that u r PR most likely as u only pay that much...

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC

Do you need to pay more?
No same fees,

but the building did look really small, i just submitted my application for sibt on thursday and i didnt realise it was the same building for mq - city campus. Until i checked their website, it was only 1 floor with a handful of rooms. But the moment i walked in i saw a handful of nice looking asian girls, which immediately grabbed my attention hahaha :hammer:

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC

Well to be honest, i was never smart actually i failed all my subjects back in high school because i used to be a naughty teenager, but i made a big improvement in tafe getting all distinctions with 2 credits and 2 fails after working in few boring jobs didnt see a future in the next 10-20 years dont want to work for a shitty $600 weekly wage anymore. I failed last semester because i was working 45 hours a week and doing full time study, i had some stuff i had to pay off from my gambling addiction (screwed up).

I quit all my work now, so i am refocusing fully on studies. I hope i can really get into MQ without sibt crap so i dont waste time and money, if not i guess i can spare an extra year out of my expected 40 year working life lol....

I dont have confidence, i will pass every semester because i just dont have great experience in studies. Is macquarie the same as tafe where they give you a final exam you must pass or you will need to repeat, or is the marks aggregated throughout the semester and the final exam is set but is not a 'need pass' thing.

Last edited:

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC

from your calculation i can totally see that u r PR most likely as u only pay that much...
wow, must be a real pain having to fork out that kind of money >__< how can u afford that??

yeh, i am a citizen *luckily*... dont know how my dad managed to get a citizenship with his carpentry (sp?) business like 20 years ago. I have so many bad stories about people living in korea, like they fight for one job with like 100 +applicants >______< that is insane!

tajid73

HSC

Is macquarie the same as tafe where they give you a final exam you must pass or you will need to repeat, or is the marks aggregated throughout the semester and the final exam is set but is not a 'need pass' thing.
well almost all subjects (only law units didnt require me to) that ive done needed me to pass final exam in order to pass the whole subjects. and although the marks are aggregated throughout the semester and lets say u get hd for your assessment mark but u screw up in the final and only get p, u might at the end only get p. (although if u r adding up ur mark and see u get like cr).

blackrider89

HSC

wow, must be a real pain having to fork out that kind of money >__< how can u afford that??

yeh, i am a citizen *luckily*... dont know how my dad managed to get a citizenship with his carpentry (sp?) business like 20 years ago. I have so many bad stories about people living in korea, like they fight for one job with like 100 +applicants >______< that is insane!
Hmm...the same applies 2 my countrymen when they arrived in Oz. They could have the PR Humanitarian or something like that and could become citizen with such qulification so don't be surprised heaps. But coz they have left their motherland 2 long they don't know exactly what's going on in their hometown. To some of my countrymen here they think of my country as a land for barbarians and when compared 2 her (I don't highly regard my country though) Oz becomes Heaven or something like Eden garden. So my point here is not to believe 2 much if u don't see and judge by urself.

Ryde campus has heaps of hot asian chicks/ladies (madams) so give it a try. It's much better than the city's IMAO.

And if u study Diploma in SIBT, u go through 2 the 2nd year in Macquarie.

Last edited:

blackrider89

HSC

the difference in the states between someone who does go to uni and someone who doesn't is about $800k-900k over their lifetime.

quite a large sum of money, and that's only the average.

university here is much cheaper than what it is in the states.
prestigious private unis in the states cost about 45-$50k PER YEAR.
so for a 3 year degree, you're looking at about $150k in tuition.

yes, you can get a 20% discount if you pay upfront

as for your other question, not much.
i know someone that took 6 years to pay off their 3 year degree,
This 1 million is only prospective. U cannot guanrantee it. Take some Labor economics class and u will find out that it depends on ur perspective and potential. And the average is much smaller if u look at some diagrams (try the class I have mentioned)

In the States there're heaps of pregtigious unis that rea not PRIVATE ONES, and their fees are much cheaper than here (4 locals, decidedly) and the financial aids of Private Unis like Ivy league are very popular. So do not compare too much. Oz's tertiary study is good and sympathetic (students can borrow) but not too far superior.

For the rest of ur post, I totally agree.

Monstar

HSC

This 1 million is only prospective. U cannot guanrantee it. Take some Labor economics class and u will find out that it depends on ur perspective and potential. And the average is much smaller if u look at some diagrams (try the class I have mentioned)

In the States there're heaps of pregtigious unis that rea not PRIVATE ONES, and their fees are much cheaper than here (4 locals, decidedly) and the financial aids of Private Unis like Ivy league are very popular. So do not compare too much. Oz's tertiary study is good and sympathetic (students can borrow) but not too far superior.

For the rest of ur post, I totally agree.
In terms of actual quality, I have no doubts in my mind that some state unis in america shit all over places like macq and even UNSW.

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Do MQ commerce degrees have access to pass exam papers, solution and notes? i heard from a friend at tafe that UWS dont allow pass papers and i wasnt so sure about this, is it true for MQ too? man if this is the case, that is really tough :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)