Uni life (1 Viewer)

dynasty

HSC
I was just wondering for all those UWS people how many hours do you spend at Uni on your average day?

How many breaks do you have between lectures or workshohps?

How much time do you spend in the library?

What time do you start and finish? I know it depends on your degree but i'm jst interested to see how long people actually spend at uni

Thanks for any help

dynasty

HSC
Ok, thats interesting how did you go 6hours with no gap?! I always thought that people went to uni more days a week but i'm a noobie. When i'm creating my timetable do you suggest trying to have as few gaps as possible? or should i be leaving an hour for lunch or to go to the library or something like that

RabbitRabbit

HSC
N/A
yeah wouldnt it be horrible 6 hours straight?

I'm thinking whether I should be doing 7 hours straight next sem and go to uni 3 days, or spread it out evenly (~4 hours with breaks) on 4 days/wk.
But even a 3hr straight lecture makes me whinge being tired AND hungry, I don't know how i could survive 7hrs :S

klh

HSC
last semster, it was i subject per day ofr me, so 4 days, abotu 3 hrs each subject so thats 12 hrs per week and breaks, soemtimes i had tutes straight afterwards, or have a 1 or 2 hr break due ot lateness in getting hte times.
library, not much except for assignment times, or meeting friedns to discuss about assignments or other stuff.
byw, i did business.
but in spring 2005, i did 6 hrs straight, no breaks, just lect, tute, tute and lect, it was tiring and sometimes you just dont want ot listen...lose concentration. i remember i did my first semester i had 6 hrs with i hr gap and i was stuffed as i want used to it.

some liek ot have no gaps as they have other time commitments etc, others are forced due ot the usbjects to do it on certain days, e.g. me doing 4 days. i choose to do less days, less gaps to save on the commute costs really, as traveling times really rack up.

purplemonkey

HSC
It really depends on what course you're doing...I did a BA, and for both semesters in first year I was only on campus 2.5 days a week...like on Tuesdays I was at uni 11-5.30 but I had 1.5 hours worth of breaks within that time...Thursdays was a bit shorter coz I had 2 straight lectures then a tute and Fridays I only came in for 1 tute...its really up to you..i jammed all my classes into a short time so on my days off I could space out readings n shit like that...I was only ever at the Library to get books or to use the Net...or to make use of the air conditioning :D

pottsy44

HSC
this semester ill be doing, mon 6-9pm, tue 2-5pm, wed 7-10pm and fri 1-4pm. i do construction management and i work full time.

1st year i did tues 6-10pm and friday 9am-6pm 1st semester. then 2nd semester i did tues 11am-3pm and thurs 4-8pm. these were part time/semi-full time.

j_davo24

HSC
natstar said:
6hrs straight is easier than it sounds, well for me anyway
Yeah, espceially if you've got a couple of lectures, they almost always finish early so you end up with a break anyway.

L

LaraB

dynasty said:
I was just wondering for all those UWS people how many hours do you spend at Uni on your average day?

How many breaks do you have between lectures or workshohps?

How much time do you spend in the library?

What time do you start and finish? I know it depends on your degree but i'm jst interested to see how long people actually spend at uni

Thanks for any help

Depends on your course, your campus, teh units you're doing, where your classes are located (i.e. if you have to go next door or across campus or to another campus for your next class), if you're working, if you're doing day or night classes etc... lots of factors :)

the last couple of years, i've spent roughly 13/14hours in class and about 18 hours actually on campus when you count between class time etc. I usually try to get it all done in under 3 days though so i spend as little time bumming around trying to kill time. Some days could be 9-6, some could be 8-9, some could be 1-4.. just depends on what units i'm doing and since i'm doing double degree, you tend to have less choice because your uynits aren't on the traditional pattern of each course so you might get clashes of core units at some time slots.

Spend relatively little time in the library - only to get books... i do all my assignments/research at home and so much is available via e-resources (online databases etc) so you can do a lot at home or work.

For a day schedule, the earliest classes are 8am and the lates are 5 or 6pm

For a night schedule, the earliest classes are 5pm and the latest start at 9 or 10pm... ussually 9 is the latest but depends on room availability and all that kind of thing.

This semester, i'll be on campus probably 12hours... 14 at the most - night classes mean you have less breaks. Monday 3-6pm, Tuesday 6-9pm, Wed 6-9pm, thurs 6-9pm

All just depends on your course and your life :)

last year i had the whole 9am - 4pm thing going on with no breaks. at first it was really hard, but i got used to eating in between classes... or in class. Having 7 hours straight is good cos its allows me to have 2days off during the week and i also saved on travel $.

but last semester i spent 4 days at uni averaging about 6 hours a day. thats with about 2 classes a day with lots of breaks =S having lots of breaks is alright if you have ppl to hang out with or if there are trivia afternoons at the bar hehe

last sem i spent heaps of time at the library trying to do the 8 major assignments they gave me. :mad: but it paid off - top marks =)

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
yeh like ppl say just chose whatever best suits u, thers no set rule. cos i'm doing science i'm at uni alot, at least 4 days averaging from 9am-5pm last yr, (with 1 hour breaks, sometimes none but i eat in lectures :p) but this semester i'm a bit lucky cos although i've got 4 days if i'm lucky to get the times that i want i'll be having 4 half days - no breaks but finishing early :)
about the library, u don't need to be in there 24/7 when ur at uni, i hardly go there, but it is very good when it's right on ur campus and u have an assignment deadline very soon, or if u dont wanna buy textbooks n borrow instead, or if ur really bored n wanna have a bit of a read, or to do ur group assignments etc.

Last edited:

dynasty

HSC
cool thanks for the advice everyone. I'm doing science and there are some days that I can't avoid having a 2 hour break in between. What do you suggest I do in that time? especially since none of my friends are going to UWS i wont know anyone

im sure you will make friends in no time, cos theres heaps of other people who wont know anyone as well. so just hang out with the ppl from ur course.. or hang out at the bar and watch tv :)

L

LaraB

dynasty said:
cool thanks for the advice everyone. I'm doing science and there are some days that I can't avoid having a 2 hour break in between. What do you suggest I do in that time? especially since none of my friends are going to UWS i wont know anyone
lol join the club :p

I was the only one from my school who went to UWS... teh result of attending Baulko lol... didn't know any from outside uni going to UWS, let alone doing my course...

They have lame get to know you crap in most first year units as part of the 1st class (at least they did for mine) and tutes involve lots of discussion usually so you'll meet people really quickly :)

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
dynasty said:
yeh like lara said, i knew nobody there either but you'll probably make friends on day 1, if not the first week, cos most ppl r in the same situation, just hang around ur class, ask ppl wat course they doin, do they like is so far etc u get the drift. just try to enjoy your new start and relax, it's not like in high school. most ppl r friendly at uni since they are or 'appear to be' mature ;)

dynasty

HSC
Lara B- hehe i went there too!

Thankyou for your replies everyone...I have another question ok I'm trying to design my timetable and I have the choice of having Thursdays off and cramming everything in with no breaks or i can go 5 days and have a few one hours breaks in between. What do you think is the most sensible option?

L

LaraB

dynasty said:

Thankyou for your replies everyone...I have another question ok I'm trying to design my timetable and I have the choice of having Thursdays off and cramming everything in with no breaks or i can go 5 days and have a few one hours breaks in between. What do you think is the most sensible option?
really ? surprised :p what course are you doing?

i'd go with having a day off :) because if you're there everday you don't get work done coz you inevitablly don't do as much work in your breaks as you plan :p plus it 's nice to get a day off :)

*sasha*

HSC
dynasty said:

no way! im a baulko kid too! and im having that should i stuff everything together or space it out dilemma too. ill probably space it out though coz i have no attention span whatsoever although my sis went there and said its better to stuff everything together and have more time off..
and yeah what course are u doing?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I was just wondering for all those UWS people how many hours do you spend at Uni on your average day? - It varied for me, some days four hrs some days six hours depending on the timetable, generally 3-4 days per week.

How many breaks do you have between lectures or workshohps? - It depends how you organise your timetable, I prefered back to back classes as I was used to this frm school so sometimes I had no breaks , othertimes I had an hr or so, other times I needed to drive between campuses so I had a longer break

How much time do you spend in the library? - I used to spend time in the library mainly for reading before classes to get it done, maybe a a few hrs a day sometimes more or less depending on assignments etc

What time do you start and finish? - I know it depends on your degree but i'm jst interested to see how long people actually spend at uni earliest I had was a 8.00am class, latest was 6.00pm class but it depends on the units you take

Good luck

L

LaraB

*sasha* said:
no way! im a baulko kid too! and im having that should i stuff everything together or space it out dilemma too. ill probably space it out though coz i have no attention span whatsoever although my sis went there and said its better to stuff everything together and have more time off..
and yeah what course are u doing?
What course are you doing?

I'm about to start 3rd year Law/Business.

Surprised there's even one baulko student at UWS! given that Mrs Savage told me that she almost literally had to drag Fuggacia along to one of the functions for my scholarships because he had such a little opinion of the uni... that and all except a handful of teachers tried their hardest to convince me not to go there and/or undermine totally my decision to go there, despite getting scholarships and doing really well at UWS...

It is great to see though that a lot of people in my grade who went to one of the other unis are now hating it or doing pretty badly :p sounds mean i know, but proves those of us who went elsewhere to be justified in our choices :)

Do'nt get why they'd rather see a P Usyd student who still works at Maccas than a D/HD UWS student who's working in a law firm lol... Baulko people can be strange :p

*sasha*

HSC
haha fugaccias a bit like that. but everyone was telling me to go to uws coz its really good and way underrated, including mrs savage, so thats a bit surprising. and im going into my first year of business (human resources) and law. and it totally seems like the kinda place id love so yeah im pretty excited :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)