Uni (1 Viewer)

uniqueusername1

HSC
Hey guys, whats the difference between doing a double major and double degree? Do these both go for four years?

Also can a degree be dropped from a double degree?

One more thing. I'm not really fully sure what I want to do in uni. Could I wait until ATAR results come out? Or would I have to apply now.

quickoats

HSC
1. This is kind of a confusing one to answer, but it depends. This is simplified but rings true for most general degrees.
A typical 3 year degree looks like this: (each [...] corresponds to a year's worth of content)
[Core] + [Major specific courses] + [Electives].

A double degree looks like this:
[Core A] + [Major A Specific] + [Core B] + [Major B Specific]
Basically you give up your electives to complete the 'other' degree - this is why 2x 3 year degrees are completed in a 4 year program.

A double degree gives you a chance to double major (2 majors are completed in 2 seperate fields)

However, if you want to do 2 majors in the same degree e.g. in Science, you can major in Chemistry and Physics, you can double major within a single degree i.e. [Science Core] + [Chemistry Major specific] + [Physics Major specific].

2. You can drop the other half of a double degree. However, you would need to do all 3 years to graduate (can't just do 2 years of the 4).

3. That's okay :) Brainstorm ideas and put what you might want to do in your preferences. Apply to UAC as early as possible to avoid late application fees.

uniqueusername1

HSC
1. This is kind of a confusing one to answer, but it depends. This is simplified but rings true for most general degrees.
A typical 3 year degree looks like this: (each [...] corresponds to a year's worth of content)
[Core] + [Major specific courses] + [Electives].

A double degree looks like this:
[Core A] + [Major A Specific] + [Core B] + [Major B Specific]
Basically you give up your electives to complete the 'other' degree - this is why 2x 3 year degrees are completed in a 4 year program.

A double degree gives you a chance to double major (2 majors are completed in 2 seperate fields)

However, if you want to do 2 majors in the same degree e.g. in Science, you can major in Chemistry and Physics, you can double major within a single degree i.e. [Science Core] + [Chemistry Major specific] + [Physics Major specific].

2. You can drop the other half of a double degree. However, you would need to do all 3 years to graduate (can't just do 2 years of the 4).

3. That's okay :) Brainstorm ideas and put what you might want to do in your preferences. Apply to UAC as early as possible to avoid late application fees.
Ok Thank you. So I already applied in UAC but, can I change later when HSC results come out?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)