UniCentre VIP worth it? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I did. But really it all depends on how much you use it I guess whether you will get your moneys worth out of it or not. If you buy all your textbooks from the UniShop (i.e. if you don't get it second hand) and regularly enough to Unibar for lunch it's probably worth it.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
I didn't.

I also very rarely go to the unibar, don't get textbooks from the unishop and pretty much spend zero money at uni (except when I want candy in the middle of an epic class, then the vending machines are handy).

iamsickofyear12

HSC
If it's still only $79 or whatever then yes it is worth it.

The discount on textbooks alone probably makes it worth it... if you actually buy textbooks and don't get them from somewhere else.

Last year I didn't buy all the textbooks and only ate at the unibar a couple of times and it probably would of worked out cheaper for me if I had the VIP card... but I would rather take a loss than support the student union.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
Last year I didn't buy all the textbooks and only ate at the unibar a couple of times and it probably would of worked out cheaper for me if I had the VIP card... but I would rather take a loss than support the student union.
Same. Though I did feel guilty all year being asked "VIP card?" by the bar staff.

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:

The discount on textbooks alone probably makes it worth it... if you actually buy textbooks and don't get them from somewhere else.

its funny that you say this when the awesome thing about wollongong uni is that all this ISNT run by the student union

ur money for vip doesnt go into making a donation to the liberal party, doesnt go into trying to fight for gay rights, and certainly doesnt go into campaigning and all the other boring shit wusa do (along with some really good shit)

it goes into cheaper drinks at unibar, better bands at unibar and free microwaves in unicentre building (along with lining the pockets of shamus and other head honchos)

so the $79 is worth it i reckon...all u need to do is buy some textbooks, come check out the free agents at o party, and get ur $5 discount for gyroscope at garden party and uve covered ur costs

and remember....this year, alcoholic beverages count for rebate points :D

decypher

HSC
Simple Maths.

Cost of VIP =$80

8 subjects (Full time) at $100 per textbook =$800.

8 subjects (Full time) at $87.5 per textbook (12.5% discount) =$700

Therefore after just books you're $20 in front. However these are rather broad assumptions.

HSC
Yes you didn't account for those who only need lab manuals for their course, or that some textbooks can be used for two subjects (happens quite a bit in first year), for example. But yeah point is its worth it if you use it all the time.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
dawso said:
ur money for vip doesnt go into making a donation to the liberal party, doesnt go into trying to fight for gay rights, and certainly doesnt go into campaigning and all the other boring shit wusa do (along with some really good shit)

so the $79 is worth it i reckon...all u need to do is buy some textbooks, come check out the free agents at o party, and get ur $5 discount for gyroscope at garden party and uve covered ur costs

and remember....this year, alcoholic beverages count for rebate points :D
I don't believe you.

From a completely practical point of view... I might end up slightly better off but I would rather pay more to not have to take out another card every time I buy something... it is really annoying.

If alcoholic beverages count as rebate points.... assuming I consume the same amount of alcohol at the unibar this year as I did last year... I will end up with 0 rebate points... awesome.

decypher

HSC
watatank said:
Yes you didn't account for those who only need lab manuals for their course, or that some textbooks can be used for two subjects (happens quite a bit in first year), for example. But yeah point is its worth it if you use it all the time.
Yeah I know a lot of science/engineering textbooks are cheaper, and some subjects have no textbook and most are available to be viewed in short loans etc.

Without Wings said:
yeh decyphers logic only works if you buy textbook for each subject and you spend $100 on each textbook...last year I think I only bought textbooks for 2 subjects at a total cost of $100 or just over...definately nowhere near $800 a year ;)
Really my aim was to illustrate how it can save you money. But people really should consider their own situation first.

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
Actually maths is pretty cheap since there is no text book, but science/ engineering aint cheap at all lol. Physics costs $145 which is very high compared to my previously bought commerce and i.t books.

dawso

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I don't believe you.

From a completely practical point of view... I might end up slightly better off but I would rather pay more to not have to take out another card every time I buy something... it is really annoying.

If alcoholic beverages count as rebate points.... assuming I consume the same amount of alcohol at the unibar this year as I did last year... I will end up with 0 rebate points... awesome.

of course, if u have no life and sit on here all day then vip wont be worth it...

but as people have said, buy a few textbooks, go 2 a few gigs and get the odd lunch and ull save urself some money

princessrach

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:

THats why I love UOW - you get the discounts without supporting the union because VIP is NOT run by the union!!!

iamsickofyear12

HSC
dawso said:
of course, if u have no life and sit on here all day then vip wont be worth it...

but as people have said, buy a few textbooks, go 2 a few gigs and get the odd lunch and ull save urself some money
Well, since you have a life, maybe you could help me out. How am I meant to get home from Wollongong in the middle of the night after I save myself money on one of these gigs...? Drink drive?

dawso

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
Well, since you have a life, maybe you could help me out. How am I meant to get home from Wollongong in the middle of the night after I save myself money on one of these gigs...? Drink drive?
one can go out to a gig and enjoy themselves without drinking....

its called l-l-l-lllllive music....

hard to fathom i know but alongside pill poppin djs, there are people who actually make real music still these days

iamsickofyear12

HSC
dawso said:
one can go out to a gig and enjoy themselves without drinking....

its called l-l-l-lllllive music....

hard to fathom i know but alongside pill poppin djs, there are people who actually make real music still these days
If I wasn't going to drink it wouldn't be as fun... I'd rather do something else where I can drink.

feen

Fez Wearing Monkeyman
HSC
N/A
& $50 off kidsuni childcare fees, so after that it'salmost paid for itself right there, altho having kids in childcare at kids uni is not exactly the commonest thing for students here

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)