HSC
Why do people say it is better too do 12 or more units than 10 units

how is it risky to do 10 units ?

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
because UAC counts 10 of your best units

for example, maths 2 unit and business 2 units that = 4 units

uac counts 3 of those best units to add up 10 units, and if you stuff up extension courses you can not add that to ur UAI

BUT you HAVE to include all your english units, the basic 2 units standad or advanced BUT UAC can or not add extension english courses

risky: BIG risk, mite as well do 12 units, unlike me who HAD to pick 10 units kinda forced to, since i didnt do the preliminary course for personal issues

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Well, I do 13 units....

If you are secure in your 10 units, or are stuffing up one subject majorly, then do 10. It's up to you....

However, a little story from another school in my town. A guy read the HSC timetable wrong and missed his PE HSC exam. Lucky he did 12 units, eh?

is a roflcopter
HSC
its a risk but its less work load
im doing 10 units and i think it was the right choice

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
anyone here do more than 12 units?? what is the most unit a person can do?? 16 units?? (i don't want to be THAT person)

is a roflcopter
HSC
wasnt there some uber jame ruse person who did like 20? and got band 6 in all of them?

highest i've seen in my school was like 15 by some guy last year
needless to say he fucked up......only human hehe

Huy

HSC
N/A
I'm doing 14U, but our school allots 13U in the timetable, so there's no formal Extension 2 English "class" or "period".

This is how we've structured it at my school:

Line 1 - English
Line 2 - Maths
Line 3 - Studies of Religion (1U) or Catholic Studies
Line 4 - Elective
Line 5 - Elective
Line 6 - Elective
Line 7 - Elective

So on a given day, you would have periods which correspond to the given line. So you'd have double English, maths, religion, etc.

With Line 7, however, it is further subdivided into 7A and 7B.
7A = Extension 1 Maths
7B = Extension 1 English

Obviously, if you do 7A and 7B, you won't have another "Elective" (for example Biology), you'd have your timetable split up into 3U Maths lessons and 3U English lessons (when other people are doing their Line 7 Electives).

It works well, unless you do 4U Maths or 4U English.
For 4U Maths, you'd have morning classes (I would imagine) as well as classes on line 7B. That makes you wonder, how can a 4U Maths person do 3U English? Well, simply put, at my school, nobody does 4U maths and 4U english so the periods are fine, LOL.

If you do 4U Maths:
7A: 3U maths
7B: 4U maths

If you do 4U English:
7A: 3U maths
7B: 3U english

It's not that complicated, because most of the time you'll have people doing either 4U Maths with just the 2 units of english, and at other times you'll have people doing the 3/4U of english, who are only doing 2U maths. (I hope I havent confused you all).

You can always drop subjects, so therefore you'll have study periods where you'd normally have the periods (which have been dropped) :)

My 7A = 3U Maths,
my 7B = 3U english.

If I dropped 3U maths, it'd be a study period, or, I can turn it into a 4U english "class" per se :)

picking up 4U english isn't a problem, because there are no classes/lessons!

Phew, I hope that makes sense, because it works well at my school. :)

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Newbie
wasnt there some uber jame ruse person who did like 20? and got band 6 in all of them?
i think it was 16 units.....from last year.....all band 6

highest i've seen in my school was like 15 by some guy last year
needless to say he fucked up......only human hehe
honestly, the most a person should do is around 14 units maximum, there is no need to go beyond this point, if you are great, fine, get 100 in every course and thus 100 UAI. what is the point of forcing yourself in 16 units or more with all those workload?

is a roflcopter
HSC
im guessing this must be the IPT influence, where you turn everything into flow charts and stuff right?
hehe :p

Huy

HSC
N/A
im guessing this must be the IPT influence, where you turn everything into flow charts and stuff right?
hehe :p
:rolleyes:
I can do one if you wanted me to... but, nah :p :D

Golani

If you've done 6 subjects successfully in year 11 or of course if you stuffed up 1 of them then there shouldn't be any reason why you can't do 10 units and go good on all of them !

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i wouldn't do 10 units. personally i think it would be too much stress, knowing that i HAD to go well in all of them. are there any units you can pick up? or do you have to drop?

Huy

HSC
N/A
If you wanted to pick up, you'd have to do it at the end of the preliminary (Year 11) course,

I don't know anybody who has picked up a subject mid-year or anything like that, although plenty have dropped subjects halfway, at the beginning of, and towards the end of the year (I don't know why they'd drop it so late in the game, just keep it since you've done all the work/assessments) :)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Lit Hau Tan did that in 2001 - though he missed out on band 6 in philosophy. :) Had enough to get a UAI of 100 twice over, heh, as someone pointed out in a thread long buried.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
Lit Hau Tan did that in 2001 - though he missed out on band 6 in philosophy. :) Had enough to get a UAI of 100 twice over, heh, as someone pointed out in a thread long buried.
huh?? REALLY? he must be proud :) He/she is the Dux of the Dux!!
does he/she gets ANY sleep at all?????

Rahul

Dead Member
whaaa!!!!!
that is amazing.

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
Ok seriously...

Here I am complaining about 4 units of my 10 and this guy...

OMG!!!

He makes me feel like a dumb kunt...

EDIT: How many subjects did he do by the way???

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Dash
How many subjects did he do by the way???
He did 25 units and i think somebody once said that he top the state in 3u Agriculture while in yr 11 also he went to James Ruse so it's properly standard to him.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
but how can you fit 25 units, or 18 units in the timetable of the school?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)