UNSW chit chat thread (1 Viewer)

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
Re: UNSW chit chat thread 2017

I did it
Good stuff

Everyone talking about next sem timetables and I have hons lmao :(
Would you say it was a good idea? I'm like low key considering it but I feel like it's a bit of a waste of a break

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

Would you say it was a good idea? I'm like low key considering it but I feel like it's a bit of a waste of a break
cos there are 1 week gen eds so you get it over and done with

and soon u gon be doin trimesters anyways sucks for u

Why are you doing honours? Just interested.
to get somewhere in life that I would mildly enjoy

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

Why does everyone hate trimesters, maybe give them a chance?

Flop21

HSC

Why does everyone hate trimesters, maybe give them a chance?
If you want to do an internship during trimesters, you have to take the third trimester off. Meaning you only get to do 6 subjects a year. But you still have to do an online course or course during the third trimester to retain full time status.

All of it sounds fine, EXCEPT for this one problem. And it's a pretty big problem.

What's also going to be annoying is figuring out what subjects are offered when, as I'm guessing subjects won't be run every single trimester. So this could stuff your degree plan up and they even say that you're "grad might be delayed by up to 10 weeks".

HSC
Uni Grad

If you want to do an internship during trimesters, you have to take the third trimester off. Meaning you only get to do 6 subjects a year. But you still have to do an online course or course during the third trimester to retain full time status.

All of it sounds fine, EXCEPT for this one problem. And it's a pretty big problem.

What's also going to be annoying is figuring out what subjects are offered when, as I'm guessing subjects won't be run every single trimester. So this could stuff your degree plan up and they even say that you're "grad might be delayed by up to 10 weeks".
The bigger thing is that if you take a gamble, and then don't get the internship. Thus rendering a waste of a semester.

The only benefit I can see from trimesters is that if you want to do internships overseas, they're held in the northern summer (May-August) period and then you can take the semester off.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

look at UTS
uts was shit from the get-go

I heard there's no mid sem breaks
can confirm no mid sem break https://student.unsw.edu.au/new-calendar

but tbh what does everyone really do in a midsem break anyways

catch up on work from weeks 1-6 and go on a holiday

unsw is pretty tight with graduate companies like microsoft, google, etc so i reckon they would change their programs up a bit to accommodate for the change

if you take one semester off you can do 9 subjects per year for 2 years and that will allow you to take the semester off without being "behind"

there is also the option of extending your degree by one semester or year

Flop21

HSC

uts was shit from the get-go

can confirm no mid sem break https://student.unsw.edu.au/new-calendar

but tbh what does everyone really do in a midsem break anyways

catch up on work from weeks 1-6 and go on a holiday

unsw is pretty tight with graduate companies like microsoft, google, etc so i reckon they would change their programs up a bit to accommodate for the change

if you take one semester off you can do 9 subjects per year for 2 years and that will allow you to take the semester off without being "behind"

there is also the option of extending your degree by one semester or year
What your saying means that students only get to do one internship throughout their whole degree... this is why people are upset. The current semesters allows for internships every single summer.

And even if they do change things so we can do all semesters and internships, that means we only get an 8 week internship instead of the normal 12 week ones. And that's with no break. RIP the sanity of everyone doing that, constantly working with 4 week holiday max a year (guess full time workers have similar holidays... but point is it's worse than currently).

It is cool I guess we can more easily line up our break (by skipping a trimester) to do a summer internship overseas, but still comes with all the cons I mentioned.

I will see how I feel once we get these 'transition plans' at the end of the year.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

What your saying means that students only get to do one internship throughout their whole degree... this is why people are upset. The current semesters allows for internships every single summer.

And even if they do change things so we can do all semesters and internships, that means we only get an 8 week internship instead of the normal 12 week ones. And that's with no break. RIP the sanity of everyone doing that, constantly working with 4 week holiday max a year (guess full time workers have similar holidays... but point is it's worse than currently).

It is cool I guess we can more easily line up our break (by skipping a trimester) to do a summer internship overseas, but still comes with all the cons I mentioned.

I will see how I feel once we get these 'transition plans' at the end of the year.
I have not met one person who has done an internship every single summer. You just now have to plan out your degree in such a way that will allow you to take a semester off if necessary or extend your degree or however you want to do it.

the 12 week internship you mention comes with a one/two week break, it works out to be about the same if you do an 8 week internship according to the new dates here: https://student.unsw.edu.au/new-calendar-dates

it doesn't seem like that bad of a change imo

Flop21

HSC

I have not met one person who has done an internship every single summer. You just now have to plan out your degree in such a way that will allow you to take a semester off if necessary or extend your degree or however you want to do it.

the 12 week internship you mention comes with a one/two week break, it works out to be about the same if you do an 8 week internship according to the new dates here: https://student.unsw.edu.au/new-calendar-dates

it doesn't seem like that bad of a change imo
yeah cool we get it, it doesn't effect you, so who cares

si2136

HSC
N/A

But what's the reason for UNSW to implement these new changes, isn't it fine as a semester?

HSC
Uni Grad

But what's the reason for UNSW to implement these new changes, isn't it fine as a semester?
Make trimesters = take more people, do more courses per year. More $$$$$ for the uni. Uni is literally a ca$h cow right now.

si2136

HSC
N/A

Make trimesters = take more people, do more courses per year. More $$$$$ for the uni. Uni is literally a ca$h cow right now.
So if people don't get into internships, and they skip out on their third semester, their degree would be extended by how long?

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

So if people don't get into internships, and they skip out on their third semester, their degree would be extended by how long?
probably 1 semester to make up for those missed subjects

or they can overload in the next year and do 9 subjects

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)