UNSW favouring certain highschooLs? (1 Viewer)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
-MuNcHKiN- said:
This is gonna sound really stupid, but i was talking to a few friends today and they stated that UNSW favours students from certain schools (mine being one of them)
Does anyone else know anything about this or is it just some stupid myth?

*keeping my fingers crossed*
How can they favour certain high schools..?
They can't force students to enrol at UNSW..

HSC
N/A
This is gonna sound really stupid, but i was talking to a few friends today and they stated that UNSW favours students from certain schools (mine being one of them)
Does anyone else know anything about this or is it just some stupid myth?

*keeping my fingers crossed*

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
No one is favoured. All uni's, including UNSW, aim to attract the brightest students, no matter what school they come from. If someone went to Whoop Whoop High and got a UAI of 100, and a kid from North Syd Girls or James Ruse gets 98.50, who do you think UNSW would want more? (the medicine faculty anyway...)

HSC
N/A
tempco said:
uh, University Admission Index.
huh?
sorry, in lamans/lamens (however you spell the daym word) terms, do you mean the UAis coming from certain schools are better and they're the favoured ones? ..
blah, because i know that higer uai-ed schools are favoured, but ...

*LOst*

HSC
N/A
Minai said:
How can they favour certain high schools..?
They can't force students to enrol at UNSW..
i suppose that's true, but i got the impression that they favour students from certain highschools. I suppose i'm just unsure of the reason behind this .. if it's even true.
In the end, does it really all boil down to the UAi?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Yes. It all boils down to UAIs. Of course unless a course require some other criteria such as med and music..

any unis can't "favour" this kid with a UAI of 99.00 compared to another kid with a UAI of 99.00....No-one cares what school you were in once you get to uni anyway (ask any of your uni friends), whether you were a selective school kid or a non-selective one; everyone is on the same boat.

HSC
N/A
wohooo then, i suppose
let's just hope i can get the UAi i need for B Civil/B Environmental Engineering then aye =P
thanks for your help guys/girls.. umm, peopLe ^^;

zkuld

newblet
HSC
-MuNcHKiN- said:
wohooo then, i suppose
let's just hope i can get the UAi i need for B Civil/B Environmental Engineering then aye =P
thanks for your help guys/girls.. umm, peopLe ^^;
aye that's the course I'm currently doing :)

I guess your theory is right to an extent. Selective schools generally produce students with higher UAIs, and universities do favour people with higher UAIs ofcourse. So what you said is indirectly correct in a funny sort of way.

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
But don't schools in the area recieve a boost to their UAI if they are applying for the some Uni's (not sure if it applies for UNSW, but I think UoW has something like that). Also, they (UNSW) do offer scholarships to local schools, eg. Randwick Boys etc...

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I think that's more like sponsorship than favoritism... It's like UWS offering scholarship to western suburb schools.

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
Curry said:
But don't schools in the area recieve a boost to their UAI if they are applying for the some Uni's (not sure if it applies for UNSW, but I think UoW has something like that). Also, they (UNSW) do offer scholarships to local schools, eg. Randwick Boys etc...
If that 'scholarships to local schools' thing is true then I'm going to be really pissed off. It doesn't sound like something that's true anyway. After all, what's so good about Randwick Boys?
Actually all that you said sounds like urban myth.

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
Have a look at this then,

http://www.scholarships.unsw.edu.au/98calts1.htm said:
The Randwick Boys High School/UNSW Scholarship (I,L)

* $1,500
* 1 year

The scholarship is established to encourage students from Randwick Boys High School to undertake study at UNSW. The scholarship is available for study in any full time undergraduate program at UNSW, applicants must be currently undertaking the HSC at Randwick Boys High School. Selection will be based on academic merit and demonstarted financial need. Applications close on 30 September.
And I am sure the UoW has extra UAI points for areas in schools close to the uni.: Check this: http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showpost.php?p=1083418&postcount=42

santaslayer

HSC
You have some regional universities "favouring" local students, but that's an attempt to fulfill other educational goals rather than playing favourites.

Scholarships are also similar. Unis create certain scholarships to attract certain people. Eg. We have an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander scholarship.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
why would unsw need to offer incentives to local schools? like they'd have any difficulty recruiting people anyway

santaslayer

HSC
Lundy said:
why would unsw need to offer incentives to local schools? like they'd have any difficulty recruiting people anyway
Actually, no university has difficulty recruiting people. What they have difficulty in, is recruiting the creme~da~la~creme. If they didn't face challenges and/or competition, then why would they bother with Open Days?

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I would think unsw's reputation is enough to bring in the "creme~da~la~creme" as you put it. Isn't that what they say every year? "9 out of 10 top UAI earners recommend kids eat weetbix at unsw" or something?

santaslayer

HSC
Lundy said:
I would think unsw's reputation is enough to bring in the "creme~da~la~creme" as you put it. Isn't that what they say every year? "9 out of 10 top UAI earners recommend kids eat weetbix at unsw" or something?
LoLz @ Lundy. :p

Not everyone 'smart' goes to UNSW just because of it's percieved reputation, IMO.
Just like not all dumbarses go to a regional university.
I think universities want EVERYONE smart.
But that's just my opinion.
Otherwise Open Days are just a waste of time.
On the same note, UoW actually does NOT have an Open Day.
I guess they attract smart people already...but that's just off topic.

Plus, UNSW may be able to attract MOST of the smarts in popular courses like Law and Med. But what about other courses? They still want the best for these as well. UWS has currently attracted the smartest B Science (Advanced) students (According to UAI anyway). I have no idea why. It seems to defy the laws of reputation...but that's the way it is.

I think courses like Nursing, Teaching and Arts present a challenge to MOST unis at this current time. My opinion...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)