UNSW Maths Comp Medallist, E4 in MX1/MX2 offering Private Maths Tutoring (1 Viewer)

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
My name is Matthew and I am offering private mathematics tuition for Mathematics Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 2. Maths in schools is rarely taught in such a way that the student gains a deep and meaningful understanding of the content that goes beyond rote learning standard procedures to specific questions. This is due to the time constraints presented by classes of up to 25 students, which is why I am offering tuition for 1on1 or small groups. As your tutor I will be able to guide you through your mathematical journey on discovering new ways of thinking and approaching questions in both a creative and satisfying manner. As corny as it sounds, I believe this is the key to success in mathematics.

I am also planning on pursuing mathematics beyond that of a high school level by studying B.Science (Adv Maths) at USYD, so you are guaranteed that I have an authentic passion for mathematics and the teaching of mathematics, a rare trait amongst tutors.

I also have experience tutoring at a widely known tutoring company.

Credentials

- 2012 UNSW ICAS Maths Comp Medallist which placed me 1st in the state
- 2013 UNSW School Maths Comp $100 Prize winner and High Distinction which placed me 8th in the state out of the year 12's who sat this difficult exam
- High Distinction in the Australian Mathematics Competition
- Marks of 96 in Maths Extension 1 and 95 in Maths Extension 2
- Mark of 96 in Mathematics in year 11 as an accelerant
- 1st in my school for mathematics every year since year 7
- 2013 Dux and School Vice-Captain (so I am very sociable and easy to get along with)

Availability

During the school term (starting Term 1 2014):

Email me and we will discuss days and times. My schedule is jam packed so we will need to negotiate when both of us are available.

I can arrange lessons for either:

1) Acceleration of content to get a strategic headstart of your classmates and the rest of the state.
2) Catch-up lessons or revision to consolidate content and improve on your mathematical knowledge of what you have already learnt at school.

Lesson Structure

- The lesson will be very focused on learning content and theory until it is completely understood
- This will be ensured through practice of relevant and essential questions produced by myself
- All necessary proofs will be thoroughly covered so that you as the student gain maximum understanding
- Revision through weekly quizzes will further consolidate your mathematical understanding and allow me to monitor and effectively assess your progress

Homework Structure

Weekly homework will be provided to consolidate the content covered in the lesson of that week. This homework will be checked by me and feedback will be given on your answers and working out, as well as potential alternative methods that could be used (in turn strengthening your understanding).

I am currently turning a room in my house into an office that will be used for University and Tutoring purposes only. This will room consist of all necessary material for your success in mathematics, and all lessons will be conducted here.

My house is located in a suburb in the City of Bankstown (will disclose once inquired).

If you can not come to me, I can come to you depending on your location. Alternatively I can tutor at a library of your choice given the location is appropriate.

Cost

One-on-one: $35/hr

Groups, per person: $25/hr

Travel expenses will be added if I need to travel to you (usually +$5/hr).

All lessons will be 2 hours in duration to maximise both concentration levels and content covered. More than one lesson per week can be arranged if you feel you need or want the extra coverage.

Contact

- Email me at matthew_95@hotmail.com only. My inbox on here is becoming very full.

Last edited:

Makematics

HSC
Would highly recommend Matt as a tutor, he has a great passion for maths and WILL get you the results you want. He is also a well known member of these forums, having helped many students with their problems.

P.S. If you don't believe that he truly loves maths, then explain to me why he was still solving problems on a napkin when we went to Maccas weeks after the HSC was over ;)

Last edited:

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Matt's mathematics abilities are better than what his brilliant HSC results have to show.

His ability to clearly explain how to approach questions has often helped me with any problems I had throughout the past 2 years.

He truly has the PASSION for mathematics and will clearly BE GREAT AT TEACHING IT.

(and like Makematics has said, he has contributed to many mathematics threads on BoS which shows his passion to help others).

iBibah

HSC
Matt is a maths guru + social and communication skills. What more does one need in a tutor?

cadd1ct

The Chess Addict
HSC
Uni Grad
Yep +1 highly recommended maths tutor :)

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I've had the pleasure of meeting and teaching Matt, and believe me when I say that he loves intuition.

Matt has qualities BEYOND that of the 'average Maths tutor' (who in my opinion is "Oh I'm doing Commerce/Engineering/Law/Medicine but I want to tutor to make quick cash").

- Has a high degree of Mathematical creativity. He will show you 'alternative proofs' and different ways of understanding concepts.

- He not only can DO questions, he can actually write the questions. It's one thing to do questions, but you're in a completely different league if you're able to write them.

- He works based on intuition and deep understanding, which is something incredibly important in Mathematics. He won't give you fish, he will teach you to fish. He won't 'do something that came out of nowhere', he will do something that makes 100% logical sense.

- He's actually going to study Adv. Mathematics at University, so he will most certainly know his stuff (moreso than he already does now, which is quite a lot).

- He is actually passionate about Mathematics, and that is so rare nowadays. This will motivate you incredibly as a student studying the subject. He'll show you that Mathematics isn't just "Calculate X, find Y".

- He's a very well respected contributor in the Mathematics forums. Look in the 4U Marathon thread if you don't believe me, a large number of questions (and answers) are attributed to him.

All the best for your tuition Matt, and thank you so much for your contributions to the Mathematics forums =)

Students reading this, I hope you will at least give him a try to experience being tutored by a person truly passionate about the subject to make it their life career.

You won't be disappointed.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I've had the pleasure of meeting and teaching Matt, and believe me when I say that he loves intuition.

Matt has qualities BEYOND that of the 'average Maths tutor' (who in my opinion is "Oh I'm doing Commerce/Engineering/Law/Medicine but I want to tutor to make quick cash").

- Has a high degree of Mathematical creativity. He will show you 'alternative proofs' and different ways of understanding concepts.

- He not only can DO questions, he can actually write the questions. It's one thing to do questions, but you're in a completely different league if you're able to write them.

- He works based on intuition and deep understanding, which is something incredibly important in Mathematics. He won't give you fish, he will teach you to fish. He won't 'do something that came out of nowhere', he will do something that makes 100% logical sense.

- He's actually going to study Adv. Mathematics at University, so he will most certainly know his stuff (moreso than he already does now, which is quite a lot).

- He is actually passionate about Mathematics, and that is so rare nowadays. This will motivate you incredibly as a student studying the subject. He'll show you that Mathematics isn't just "Calculate X, find Y".

- He's a very well respected contributor in the Mathematics forums. Look in the 4U Marathon thread if you don't believe me, a large number of questions (and answers) are attributed to him.

All the best for your tuition Matt, and thank you so much for your contributions to the Mathematics forums =)

Students reading this, I hope you will at least give him a try to experience being tutored by a person truly passionate about the subject to make it their life career.

You won't be disappointed.
Good write up Carrot. 100% agree. Matt knows his stuff.

Last edited:

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
I highly recommend Matthew for tutoring, he is highly sociable yet knows what he is talking about and very knowledgeable in Mathematics. It is quite clear from just a bit of browsing of the Mathematics forums that Matthew indeed possesses a desire to help people and explain mathematical concepts as well as engaging in a higher degree of mathematical thinking

HSC
Uni Grad
I've helped him before and you can guarantee that he is a good person to get tutoring with. Definitely check him out (Y)

Not bad seeing all these tutoring ads coming up everywhere.

mwkc

HSC
Can vouch for Matthew.
He's a bright young chap who lives for Maths. Just a few weeks ago, he stayed up all night working on an unsolvable Maths problem and subsequently destroyed his own sleeping pattern.
He's also extremely good looking, has a brilliant sense of humour, has an absolutely enormous Johnson and mains Tryndamere on League of Legends.

Last edited:

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
I can testify Matthew was one of the resident maths gods of BoS for the past few years and has a fantastic understanding and passion not only for the course, but mathematics as a whole. He is also very friendly and approachable and has mad good cheekbones (no homo), so all these factors combined make him a highly recommended tutor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)