UNSW med cut-off (1 Viewer)

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
The website (Faculty of Medicine - FAQ_local) says that if I have a predicted UAI of 99, I needed to get 58 in UMAT to obtain an interview in the past three years.

However, I have also heard from somewhere else that I need at least about 90 UMAT score to get an interview for medicine.

Which one is true?

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
90 is referring to the percentile which ~178 (raw) ~ 59 (avg across 3 sections).
so the 58 they state is the average across 3 sections. which equates back to about 90 percentile provided you get a UAI of 99.
with a UAI of 99 and 90 percentile, you will get interviews the majority of universities.
exceptions include: monash (93 cutoff), UWS (sections weighted differently) and UTAS (99 needed for all interstaters). all talking in umat percentiles btw.

dp624

HSC
yeah that, it's correct what FOTB said
but aim a bit higher, in case interview isn't so hot

singh.with.me

HSC
90 is referring to the percentile which ~178 (raw) ~ 59 (avg across 3 sections).
so the 58 they state is the average across 3 sections. which equates back to about 90 percentile provided you get a UAI of 99.
with a UAI of 99 and 90 percentile, you will get interviews the majority of universities.
exceptions include: monash (93 cutoff), UWS (sections weighted differently) and UTAS (99 needed for all interstaters). all talking in umat percentiles btw.

right...so for anyone who understands the medentry jargon on top of that ^^: help...
where do you stand APPROXIMATELY in actual acer umat terms, if your getting a percentile of say 83 in section 2, which is a 29/36??

from, above, the "59" is equivalent to whice medentry stat:-
-percentage
-percentile (pretty sure not this lol)
-mark (obviously cant be this...)
-or something completely different?

dp624

HSC
the 59 would probably closest correspond to the raw percentage i think

but then again, there's all this behind the scenes scaling, so hard to say

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Because English (Standard) is an assumed knowledge.

According to website, it's not necessary that you have assumed knowledge but your chance of getting in is damaged to some extent by not doing one.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
But do they get to know that i did ESL english? I hope not. It's unlikely that they can see what level of English I did unless UAC tells them.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
But do they get to know that i did ESL english? I hope not. It's unlikely that they can see what level of English I did unless UAC tells them.
Um...the fact that they have English (Standard) as an assumed knowledge probably means that they know...

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Hmm... Well, they will have plenty of chance in the interview (if I get to have one) to assess my English skills so I guess it doesn't matter.

dp624

HSC
well, i suppose if english skills are a bit subpar then students might have problems in assignments

PrettyVacant

HSC
well, i suppose if english skills are a bit subpar then students might have problems in assignments
And I actually agree with you.

=| Personally I dunno, call them up and ask about it. Just being able to speak English in an interview does not mean you have the necessary English skills to be able to cope with higher levels of written articulation.

Charity F

póg mo thóin
HSC
N/A
sounds like someone's having trouble in group assignments :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)